Lightning

JL Ram-air installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2000 | 11:11 PM
|
Cool JL Ram-air installation

Anyone have a picture of the scoop installation on the JL ram-air kit. The intercooler side bracket location is getting the better of me.

Old 11-03-2000 | 11:21 PM
I just installed the kit. Maybe I can help. What's wrong?

Old 11-03-2000 | 11:23 PM
Even better. If you have time give me an e-mail with your phone # and I can talk you through it.

------------------
Jim
Jim@FordMotor.cc

Black 00, #1008 of 4966, 4.10's, SuperChip/R9, JL’s Ram Air, chrome wheels,
AIM 2" drop, AutoMeter Boost and A/F Gauges, Valentine1,
Cobra Throttle Body, Mobile1 w/FilterMag
2000 E320, 1993 Cobra R, 1959 Corvette, 1949 Plymouth Coupe

Old 11-04-2000 | 01:55 AM
|
Cool

I have run the tube correctly, but I cannot find a hole, bolt, or anything to attach the intercooler bracket to. I have temporarily zip-tied it until I can locate the correct anchor point.

The intercooler anchor bolts are all located at the top of the intercooler. I can't reach them with the short bracket I'm using. I'm obviously missing something.

OK, got it. I have to replace the plastic fastner in the bottom of the intercooler bracket with a bolt connecting it to the bracket, right?

[This message has been edited by sixpipes (edited 11-04-2000).]

Old 11-04-2000 | 08:20 AM
Wink

you got it. i drove thru rain like you guys are getting now, and no water made it thru the Dr Seuss pipe to the filter

Old 11-04-2000 | 08:55 AM
Wink

hey six pipes: great pictures! i hope you figured it out. i noticed you have a zip tie on the tube you should move that up to the flex hose and clamp so when you put your liner back on you won't see it..when you cut the hole in the liner and put the liner back the liner will hold the tube forward in place. just make sure you don't cut the hole in the liner too big make it as small as you can to hold the tube forward and tight when you tighten the liner back up.hope this helps if any ? just call 717 786 4670...to let everybody know my parts finaly came in and i'm starting production TODAY ! thanx for everyones patience....JL

------------------
93 cobra 10.90@127.00
99 lightning (black)
e.t. 12.59 @ 107
best mph 107.6
60 ft. 1.80
superchiped
johnnylightning ram air
Level 10 shift kit
SuperChip Dealer!
(Man i love this truck!)

Old 11-04-2000 | 10:57 AM
|
Cool

Hope to get to the track one more time before shutting down for the winter. Not much time left in the year or as Dr. Suess would put it:

``How did it get so late so soon?
It's night before it's afternoon.
December is here before it's June.
My goodness how the time has flewn.
How did it get so late so soon?''

A wet Suess tube is not a good thing. I did the nickel plating to keep corrosion down on the inside of the tube. Amazingly sturdy after everything is hooked up (correctly). Thanks for the help.

Now if I only had some dry pavement and a freshly calibrated Assjet 248 (Dr certified).

------------------
1999 Black Roush-lowered Lightning, Swanson Chip, 3.73 gears, JBA Headers, Magnaflow muffler, JL Stage II ram-air intake

13.085@105.10mph / pre-JL ram-air

Old 11-05-2000 | 01:07 AM
Thumbs up

I need to get one of these. I like the quality. jw

Old 11-05-2000 | 10:27 PM
|
Cool

Interesting problem I just discovered in the garage. I have a clearance problem with the Suess tube when my front wheels are turned sharp right (outside tire contact). I first thought this was an adjustment problem until I realized I have the Roush suspension which lowers the fenderwell onto the wheel. I'm not going to mess with it tonight, but I will post when I figure out the solution. Just be advised that it appears the JL ram-air will not fit some lowered vehicles without further modifications.

[This message has been edited by sixpipes (edited 11-05-2000).]

Old 11-06-2000 | 07:22 AM
Cool

Boy Sixpipes! It looks like you bit off a real big piece of pie this time. I wish you could drive my "little" truck now. You wouldn't believe the difference. Talk to you soon!

Old 11-06-2000 | 08:01 AM
Sixpipes: oh no you lowered your truck i never tried it with a lowered suspension try to make sure you pull the tube forward as far as you can if this dosn't work shoot me an e-mail i might be able to help.....JL

------------------
93 cobra 10.90@127.00
99 lightning (black)
e.t. 12.59 @ 107
best mph 107.6
60 ft. 1.80
superchiped
johnnylightning ram air
Level 10 shift kit
SuperChip Dealer!
(Man i love this truck!)

Old 11-06-2000 | 08:20 AM
|
Cool

JL -

I'm sure I'll figure something out. I hadn't thought about the effect of lowering the truck until I discovered the problem. There is about 2" clearance when the wheel is straight and 3-4" all the way left. Maybe I shouldn't make sharp right turns? Anyway, the tube is pulled up as high as it will go with the scoop still half-way visible below the air-dam. Anymore and the scoop will be shielded by the front dam. Looks like I may have to tweak the Suess tube to provide more of an angle so the scoop will still be in fresh air.

Flats Man -

Good to see you are up and running again. Are you going to pay another visit to the dyno? You should be pushing 275rwhp and that's darn good for that 4.6L. If I remember correctly, that would be 100rwhp more than your stock dyno run. It will be real interesting to see some track times.

[This message has been edited by sixpipes (edited 11-06-2000).]

Old 11-06-2000 | 09:02 AM
Sixpipes, i don't know if there is any difference when i bottom out in a left turn powerslide, than if you do the same with your suspension or not. But, i had the same problem with the tire rubbing Seuss tube. i was able to pull the tube quite a bit forward, by putting another large ss screw type clamp (like the ones that came w/kit) around the pipe, about 3" below the orange ducting, right where the Seuss tube touches the edge of the inner bumper. i found a slot to run the clamp thru, and as i tightened the clamp, the Seuss tube was pulled upward and away from the tire. it did point the Hoover nozzle a little more toward the ground, but works fine. loosen everything up a bit, to give it room to flex. i can take a pic if you need it.

Old 11-06-2000 | 10:07 AM
Cool

Sixpipes-I think your numbers will be pretty close on RWHP. Yea, thats 100 RWHP over stock. I am still tweeking but it looks like I am coming to the end of the road pretty soon. Anything else and I will probably lose the stock block. I will dyno toward the end of the month with an A/F run then send the chip back to Mike T for some more "majic dust." I can no longer leave the line at full throttle so I will work on some driver technique then take it to the track and finally get some times. I love this new transmission. I know it can more than handle anything I bolt on behind it! Take Care.

------------------
98 White 4.6 Triton STX (It's not an STX anymore) Flairside,Class III hitch, Blue Cobra Stripes, Euro Lid by Astro, Bed Rug, Fiero Wing, Air Dam,Westin Step Bars, Ground Force 2-4 Drop,Custom MB Phantom Wheels,clear corner lenses,monster battery terminals,Custom Programmed Super Chip,BBK 75mm TB, Pro M 80mm MAF,Pillar Pod w/ boost and trans temp,Jacobs DIS Ignition,Art Carr 2000-2400 stall transmission,4:10 gears,custom rear end housing, custom intake tube, Jet coated JBA stainless headers, Magna Flow Muffler with Stainless Duals and of course fully Blown by Magnacharger!

Old 11-06-2000 | 11:55 AM
|
Cool

MRBBQMAN

I took a look at the situation and thats what I'll try to do. I may have a local shop weld a little "hoover attachment" on the end so the tube won't be pointing at the ground at such a severe angle. Unfortunately I may not be able to get to it until the weekend. A picture would be nice just as a reference.

Thanks

Quick Reply: JL Ram-air installation