Lightning

The REAL reason the Red Rocket died.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fast Gator, You think it was a sh%%y porting job? I guess that could have been the case. One way or the other Rob got rid of it at the right time I guess.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:27 PM
I wouldn't approach them with guns loaded and ****ed.
I would just tell them your perdicament and ask if there is a way they can help. Maybe even a used or rebuilt head that is fully tested. Being nice goes a long way when you need help.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by SVTLIGHTING
Fast Gator, You think it was a sh%%y porting job? I guess that could have been the case. One way or the other Rob got rid of it at the right time I guess.
you sir.. are a d0uche...

Old 03-01-2007, 08:49 PM
sorry about your luck, I have had my share of it in the quest of goin faster. what has me perplexed is the #5 damage. has anyone offered up ideas how that could have happened?

Old 03-01-2007, 11:21 PM
id like to see some pictures,,,,im not sure i would trust a builder that doesnt know where patriot heads start at

Old 03-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by SVTLIGHTING
There you go again. Arrogance and intellect at it's finest. One thread after another.
Why do you have to stir the pot?

Old 03-02-2007, 05:28 AM
Me, Gator is the one who brought it up. Im just wondering if that could have been a possible cause.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Gregg it was great talking yesterday morning and great to see you still have your sence of humor
As for the continued Rob remarks give it up man there are tons of people here in the family that KNOW how awesome Big Red ran, Gregg included....

Maybe instead of people bashing me and making fun of Gregg's other car (which happens to be pretty got dam impressive if you asked me) instead we can all try and remember he's a new member, this is the Guys 1st Lightning, and like all of us there was a lot to learn when we got our first L + Mod Motor. How many of us (ME INCLUDED) sunk a ton of money into a L and then had some stupid little failure take a motor out.

Maybe we should be explaining to Gregg how differant a Modular Motor is, how simple little things matter more with a supercharged version, how important a good flowing set of heads are with the power level Big Red has.

Gregg I for one am very concerned on what you put back on it, keep us informed and hang in there Bro it'll be well worth it in the end...

Last edited by Rob_00Lightning; 03-03-2007 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have stag 2 Patriot heads on my truck and have been very happy with them.
I'm even thinking of going up to a set of stage 3s

Phil

Old 03-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by 01Diablo
sorry about your luck, I have had my share of it in the quest of goin faster. what has me perplexed is the #5 damage. has anyone offered up ideas how that could have happened?

Going out on a limb but here I go. The leak happened while the truck was running but wan't a huge deal (ie not noticable). The truck was shut off with the problem cylinder at near TDC with the intake valve open, as the fluid isn't flowing the heat caused pressure forces the fluid into that cylinder. As it filled up is spilled over back into the intercooler valley. Later when the truck was started fluid was sucked into cylinder 5. Not sure how all that is happening without going into a 45 degree angle at full throttle. But how else can it go from one cylinder to the other on the other side of the motor?

Old 03-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Aren't cylinders 1 and 5 across from one another???

And you don't need a full cylinder of water to hydro-lock a motor. I'm guessing a few ounces of water would do it...just a tad more than the combined total cc's of the combustion chamber and the dish on the piston would do it. 10 extra cc's of water and you're going to end up with a completely incompressible liquid that, once the rod and piston get a good run on the way to TDC, can do some serious damage.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Yes and I agree!

Old 03-02-2007, 03:10 PM
I would get a set of stg III heads from Totol Engine Airflow...I like Brian Tooley's work. Those heads only cost a few thousand bucks and flow almost as much as mine did and I had 3 times that in them and a year and halfs work.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:49 PM
OK..

This is directly from the mechanic in an email he sent me..

Greg, here are some pictures of the leaking intake port, bent rod, marke in the block where the rod hit the bottom of the cylinder (which can easily be repaired). The companion rod on the front crank rod (#5 cylinder) has some big end cheek damage due to the twist in #1 rod causing them to rub together and gall the sides of the big end. The #5 rod is straight but we will replace it due to cheek damage. The heads are Patriot CNC cylinder heads which are basically Ford castings that they port. Looking at the location of the pin hole and where the core halves came together in the water jacket side of the port it seems that the head was cast slightly core shifted and was already thinner in that spot. Then when they ported them they got thinner. The long trip back from New York probably was the longest that the cooling system was under pressure and finally popped thorough. It is not Patriots fault or any one else's, it just happens sometimes when porting stock cylinder heads. When we use CNC ported heads on the engines we build here they start out with a special casting that is designed to be CNC ported. They have a lot more material around the ports to prevent this type of problem. These are aftermarket head castings (Dart, Brodix, AFR etc) and are made to be ported very large and have a lot of extra material around the port areas.
I'm working on getting all of the parts together so we can put this thing back together. I will contact you in a few days with an update.
Jeff

WHERE CAN I POST PICS?

Old 03-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Seems like Lurker hit the nail right on the head, no pun intended. Bad luck Chitown.

Quick Reply: The REAL reason the Red Rocket died.