Lightning

The REAL reason the Red Rocket died.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somebody mentioned oil cooler....you better replace that too. It does have to come off when you pull and install the motor.
The one you have looks like its been hit pretty good.
That is a great place for water and oil to mix if there is an internal leak...I've seen it before.

As far as the heads go....what can Patriot say....they have most likely sold thousands of those things and yes they have seen this happen before....they would have to.... but probably only a small handful of times.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Bad as L
Somebody mentioned oil cooler....you better replace that too. It does have to come off when you pull and install the motor.
That is a great place for water and oil to mix if there is an internal leak...I've seen it before.
I know this is my first post, but i have been following this story since the beginning. Ive done a few lightning motors, the oil cooler can stay on for the removal process. Ive done it, even with the oil filter on, its hard and not worth it, but it can be done, I garuantee it. I did the first one like that and ever since then have removed it.

I dunno how you can tell that this one has been hit good? Theres not even a good picture of it.

Sorry about the bad luck, hope it all comes together soon.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:25 PM
There is a good picture of the cooler and it looks to me like the in/out nipples have been bashed, which is generally what happens when the motor comes forward away from the trans.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:16 PM

As far as the heads go....what can Patriot say....they have most likely sold thousands of those things and yes they have seen this happen before....they would have to.... but probably only a small handful of times.
agreed

Old 03-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by fastblackss
I know this is my first post, but i have been following this story since the beginning. Ive done a few lightning motors, the oil cooler can stay on for the removal process. Ive done it, even with the oil filter on, its hard and not worth it, but it can be done, I garuantee it. I did the first one like that and ever since then have removed it.

I dunno how you can tell that this one has been hit good? Theres not even a good picture of it.

Sorry about the bad luck, hope it all comes together soon.
Uh yeah Ive done more than a few myself and you sound like you learned the hard way, and if you get one out with the cooler on it did hit. I guarantee you that.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:02 AM

i hate tooting my own horn just kidding i love tooting my own horn!!!!

the porting had nothing to do with a pin hole in the head,,,if it had a hole there it was just exposed by the porting,,,,but very unlikely if you ask me

ronbo had stalling issues,,,he took it to sal's shop,,,im sure he cheaked her out COMPLETELY,,,,,if she was breathing in any wrong holes he would have found it

might not been the oilcooler either more chit stiring to come

Old 03-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Rob_00Lightning
and there was silence...

Old 03-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by 01Diablo
Uh yeah Ive done more than a few myself and you sound like you learned the hard way, and if you get one out with the cooler on it did hit. I guarantee you that.
then youd be full of ****, ive taken them out that way too.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:58 PM
hmmm

something still seems strange to me.

For this to happen, the engine would have to be shut down and stopped with the piston coming up on the compression stroke on that cylinder. I could shut my truck off a million times and the odds of that happening are pretty low.

Then, if it was just a pin hole, even if the system was under pressure, the heads are the highest point of the cooling system really. And if there was a pin hold leak.........i would think it would leak past the rings just as fast as it was coming into the cylinder by sitting overnight?. A pin hole is just about the same as a say .020 ring gap.......

I would have to say it would take alot of force to bend an h-beam rod like that.

Screwy, real screwy.

Did he mention anything about the conditions of the head gaskets?

If this was happening for a while, it could have pushed the head gasket and there could have been more water going into that cylinder from the waterjacket............???????????

Old 03-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by 1badazzavt
then youd be full of ****, ive taken them out that way too.
that makes you an idiot! Shadetree mechanic

Old 03-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by tallimeca
something still seems strange to me.

For this to happen, the engine would have to be shut down and stopped with the piston coming up on the compression stroke on that cylinder. I could shut my truck off a million times and the odds of that happening are pretty low.

Then, if it was just a pin hole, even if the system was under pressure, the heads are the highest point of the cooling system really. And if there was a pin hold leak.........i would think it would leak past the rings just as fast as it was coming into the cylinder by sitting overnight?. A pin hole is just about the same as a say .020 ring gap.......

I would have to say it would take alot of force to bend an h-beam rod like that.

Screwy, real screwy.

Did he mention anything about the conditions of the head gaskets?

If this was happening for a while, it could have pushed the head gasket and there could have been more water going into that cylinder from the waterjacket............???????????
The engine wouldnt have to be shut down (stop at) just before compression stroke with the intake valve open just for it to hydraulic. The cooling system has pressure in it, the head sprung a leak into the #1 cylinder, the pressure spewed out coolant into the number one intake port probably filling it quite a bit! As soon as the truck was cranked over, the valve opened allowing a bunch of coolant in and as soon as it tried to compress it BOOM the rod gets bent. Inertia of the motor already cranking probably helped the rod bend. Remember, a liquid cant be compressed! Im sure the cylinder was filled and then drained overnite until the truck was taken to a mechanic. I garuntee the oil was filled with antifreeze. Antifreeze will leak through the rings as you stated.

I beleive I read it somewhere in this post, but someone said these trucks dont blow head gaskets. I havent read many stories of them blowing head gaskets. Everyone seems to be second guessing the mechanic, from the email I read, it seems he knows whats going on. He is a professional and the email proved it. I think its pretty simple, a pinhole in the head filled the cylinder with coolant and hydrauliced the cylinder causing the rod to bend.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
. . . Remember, a liquid cant be compressed! . . .
"Can you compress a liquid (water)?

Asked by: Guy Matthews

Answer:

The answer is yes, You can compress water, or almost any material. However, it requires a great deal of pressure to accomplish a little compression. For that reason, liquids and solids are sometimes referred to as being incompressible.

To understand what happens, remember that all matter is composed of a collection of atoms. Even though matter seems to be very solid, in actuality, the atoms are relative far apart, and matter is mostly empty space. However, due to the forces between the molecules, they strongly resist being pressed closer together, but they can be. You probably have experienced compressing something as hard as steel. Have you ever bounced a steel ball bearing off a sidewalk? When you do that, the 'bounce' is due to compressing the steel ball, just a tiny little spot that comes into contact with the sidewalk. It compresses and then springs back, causing the bounce.

The water at the bottom of the ocean is compressed by the weight of the water above it all the way to the surface, and is more dense than the water at the surface."

Old 03-06-2007, 02:37 AM
snip

I beleive I read it somewhere in this post, but someone said these trucks dont blow head gaskets. I havent read many stories of them blowing head gaskets. snip .

These trucks can and do blow head gaskets. The head lifts, usually from detonation, the head gasket gets pushed out and then you get a right nice channel cut in between the head and the block. I can show some pics of it if you want.... .

Last edited by 03LightninRocks; 03-06-2007 at 02:42 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:21 AM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
all matter is composed of a collection of atoms. Even though matter seems to be very solid, in actuality, the atoms are relative far apart, and matter is mostly empty space.

Hey Tim did you just call me empty space

OR SOMETHING

Old 03-06-2007, 09:43 AM
huh

The engine wouldnt have to be shut down (stop at) just before compression stroke with the intake valve open just for it to hydraulic. The cooling system has pressure in it, the head sprung a leak into the #1 cylinder, the pressure spewed out coolant into the number one intake port probably filling it quite a bit! As soon as the truck was cranked over, the valve opened allowing a bunch of coolant in and as soon as it tried to compress it BOOM the rod gets bent. Inertia of the motor already cranking probably helped the rod bend. Remember, a liquid cant be compressed! Im sure the cylinder was filled and then drained overnite until the truck was taken to a mechanic. I garuntee the oil was filled with antifreeze. Antifreeze will leak through the rings as you stated.

I beleive I read it somewhere in this post, but someone said these trucks dont blow head gaskets. I havent read many stories of them blowing head gaskets. Everyone seems to be second guessing the mechanic, from the email I read, it seems he knows whats going on. He is a professional and the email proved it. I think its pretty simple, a pinhole in the head filled the cylinder with coolant and hydrauliced the cylinder causing the rod to bend.
Well, thank you for repeating what i said........or something

But it's not really that simple. I'm struggling to believe that it bent the rod like that just cranking it over. Didn't the original post say the tire shop called and said it wouldn't crank??? Does this motor have a stock starter in it? I dont' think the stock starter has enough torque to bend a rod rated for 1000 hp.

I would have to say that the engine actually fired over and probably started making a hell of a noise, then they shut it down, and the cylinder filled up again. Not that it's anyone's fault, the failure is what it is, but I don't believe the rod bent like that unless the engine actually fired.

Quick Reply: The REAL reason the Red Rocket died.