Lightning

The REAL reason the Red Rocket died.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if the mechanic keeps digging around in that motor he just might find hoffa,,,,,or maybe that magic bullet

Old 03-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Everyone know Hoffa's buried in Giant Stadium
althought the Myth Busters never did find him when they searched

Old 03-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by tallimeca

Did he mention anything about the conditions of the head gaskets?

Yes the head gaskets were on perfect shape..

I just got through talking to the mechanic. He said he is going to get the heads ordered today or tomorrow. He wanted to make sure he got the best price for them, so he is looking at a few vendors. Hopefully within the next 2 weeks he can get her back on the road..

Old 03-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
"Can you compress a liquid (water)?

Asked by: Guy Matthews

Answer:

The answer is yes, You can compress water, or almost any material. However, it requires a great deal of pressure to accomplish a little compression. For that reason, liquids and solids are sometimes referred to as being incompressible.

To understand what happens, remember that all matter is composed of a collection of atoms. Even though matter seems to be very solid, in actuality, the atoms are relative far apart, and matter is mostly empty space. However, due to the forces between the molecules, they strongly resist being pressed closer together, but they can be. You probably have experienced compressing something as hard as steel. Have you ever bounced a steel ball bearing off a sidewalk? When you do that, the 'bounce' is due to compressing the steel ball, just a tiny little spot that comes into contact with the sidewalk. It compresses and then springs back, causing the bounce.

The water at the bottom of the ocean is compressed by the weight of the water above it all the way to the surface, and is more dense than the water at the surface."

Thanks for that bit of knowledge.

An engine cannot compress a small bit of liquid It doesnt take much to hydraulic an engine.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by 03LightninRocks
These trucks can and do blow head gaskets. The head lifts, usually from detonation, the head gasket gets pushed out and then you get a right nice channel cut in between the head and the block. I can show some pics of it if you want.... .
Im not saying they never do, anything can happen. Detonation will kill a motor very quickly.

If this truck has been running for a while now, I dont see how detonation would be a part of it plus the gaskets are said to be in perfect shape. And by looking at the sides of the #5 piston, detonation doesnt appear to have been a factor here.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by ChiTown
Yes the head gaskets were on perfect shape..

I just got through talking to the mechanic. He said he is going to get the heads ordered today or tomorrow. He wanted to make sure he got the best price for them, so he is looking at a few vendors. Hopefully within the next 2 weeks he can get her back on the road..
Within the next 2 weeks the temp should be about 50 degrees I hope to see you on the streets

Old 03-06-2007, 08:23 PM
How much fluid in the cylinder? Any amount of anything in the cylinder takes up space=less combustion chamber=more compression. How much compression can a cylinder take before rods start to give?

Old 03-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by tallimeca
Well, thank you for repeating what i said........or something

But it's not really that simple. I'm struggling to believe that it bent the rod like that just cranking it over. Didn't the original post say the tire shop called and said it wouldn't crank??? Does this motor have a stock starter in it? I dont' think the stock starter has enough torque to bend a rod rated for 1000 hp.

I would have to say that the engine actually fired over and probably started making a hell of a noise, then they shut it down, and the cylinder filled up again. Not that it's anyone's fault, the failure is what it is, but I don't believe the rod bent like that unless the engine actually fired.
Seems to me that they test drove it, lifted a head and hydralic'd the one cylinder and then towed it back to the shop and called the customer. noway did that rod bend from just cranking, impossible, it was running, and running very hard when it did that. Call the local tow companies and see if they towed your truck that day.

Later...

Bruce

Old 03-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Black 2000
Seems to me that they test drove it, lifted a head and hydralic'd the one cylinder and then towed it back to the shop and called the customer. noway did that rod bend from just cranking, impossible, it was running, and running very hard when it did that. Call the local tow companies and see if they towed your truck that day.

Later...

Bruce
+1...

Old 03-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black 2000

Later...

Bruce
I believe that Gregg said he was there the whole time. There was no chance for a joy ride while they had it.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Very strange

Old 03-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by LightningTuner
I believe that Gregg said he was there the whole time. There was no chance for a joy ride while they had it.
+1 meeeellion

I know it's long, but read the original post. He said he was in contact with the truck at all times. Not just at the muffler shop either.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Gregg did you leave them the keys Wednesday ?

Last edited by Rob_00Lightning; 03-07-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by LightningTuner

Yup never left the lot.. I was there a whole 20 minutes... waiting for my turn..

LETS NOT GO THERE AGAIN..

It was the head honest!!!

Old 03-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Gregg I edited my post just "2" questions

Did you leave it there over night Wed ?

Did you leave them the Keys ?

Quick Reply: The REAL reason the Red Rocket died.