Lightning

The REAL reason the Red Rocket died.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_00Lightning
Not actually, what he said was he trusted them.
This is how it went,
Gregg drove it 6 blocks to the Tire shop that Wed, he parked it and went into the waiting room. Later they came to him and said sir your car doesnt start.
He called me from there and I heard it clicking just like a dead Batt would normally click. He mentioned how cold it was and even mentioned the Batt window showed it was dead so he assumed it was due to the cold weather,
(and I agree). He tired real quick to jump it and it did the same thing,
he then left them the keys and they promised to bring it inside that night.

He went back Thursday with a New Batt it wouldnt start BUT this time he said it would turn over A LITTLE but then stop ??? He called me from there then had it towed to his mechaninc who put a starter in it, and the same thing happen, it would turn a little and then stop. They then tried turning it with a Breaker Bar and got the same results, it would turn a little and then stop. THIS IS WHY I WAS SO PISSED OFF IN THE ORIGINAL POST because I know there's more to this story....

BUT I do believe Gregg and since day one my believe is someone got it running Wed AFTER HE LEFT IT and took it for a little joy ride. He says no and he said he trust them (the tire shop) so I stopped with that thought and offerd other possibilities but that too was pissing him off so I left the post. Then of course everyone starting to blame me like I fk'd the poor guy on purpose and it really got out of hand. (@$%(@$%(@$%)@$
I THINK WE ALL KNOW NOW IT WASNT DRIVING 800 MILES LIKE THAT DONT WE

Gregg I do believe your telling us everything but you know my feelings on this,
Built Motors do not self destruct while sleeping. I really do have to agree with the others on this one, no factory starter did that to a 1000 HP Manley Rod,
it just doesnt seem possible at all, and there is NO WAY you were driving it like that WITHOUT KNOWING, sooooooooooooooooo the "ONE AND ONLY" possibility is SOMEONE drove it without you knowing, is that at all possible ???

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!! STOP IT!!!!!

Look.. the Truck died at the Tire Place Thursday Night..Did it start for a SPLIT second when the tire guys tried to start it ? I dont know.. I was in and out of it getting smokes.. SO I KNOW IT DIDN'T MOVE!! I put a NEW Battery in it THAT night... still the same. DEAD... LOCKED UP... I PUSHED it in the Tire shop that night,as they were CLOSING!!!! IT was 9 pm by this time. Tow guy came FRIDAY MORNING @ 8 Am sharp.. when the tire guys got there.. FRIDAY had a NEW STARTER put in it. STILL LOCKED UP. Had it towed to the mechanic that has it now. YOU ALL SAW THE PICS.. PIN HOLE!!!!!! Hydro-Lock!!!! Cummon!! stop the insanity!

Last edited by ChiTown; 03-07-2007 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Black 2000
Seems to me that they test drove it, lifted a head and hydralic'd the one cylinder and then towed it back to the shop and called the customer. noway did that rod bend from just cranking, impossible, it was running, and running very hard when it did that. Call the local tow companies and see if they towed your truck that day.

Later...

Bruce
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! haha!!!! Read my post above this one!!!

Old 03-07-2007, 06:37 PM
I second that Chi Town.. Let it go. Its over.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:58 PM
OK NEVER MIND
Gregg consider it over.....

So how bout those Mets ...

Old 03-07-2007, 07:04 PM
BTW G how did you quote something I deleted
before you posted it

It's over already why drag it on
(btw first time you explained the whole story, sorry I had some of it wrong)

Note to self, never (and I repeat never) get me finger near a L starter cause that MF must have some serious tq

Old 03-07-2007, 07:56 PM
I'm not a smought mayen, but I have hot rodded, broke motors, and built motors over the many years just like the many of us here. My money is that it was running when it failed. Unless I missed something you cannot cause damage to a rod by just mearly clicking the starter. Anyone else?

Old 03-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by twb02lightning
. . . My money is that it was running when it failed. Unless I missed something you cannot cause damage to a rod by just mearly clicking the starter. Anyone else?
I completely agree. It would take more torque than a tiny electric motor could muster.

Maybe the engine fired up instantly and the few explosions that could be completed were enough? Sounds crazy, yes, but more crazy than a starter motor bending h-beams?

Old 03-07-2007, 08:54 PM
When you click the starter, one of the other cylinders can fire right away, adding quite a bit of power/torque to what the starter motor and battery were already providing.

The motor can fire one cylinder and hydro-lock another in 1/4 turn of the crank. It would seem to the driver it did not start.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by Rob_00Lightning
OK NEVER MIND
Gregg consider it over.....

So how bout those Mets ...
Mets SUCK... GO SOX!!!!

Old 03-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by ChiTown
Mets SUCK... GO SOX!!!!
Red Sox right?

Old 03-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by ChiTown
Mets SUCK... GO SOX!!!!

Heck Ya! A RED Sox Fan in Chi-town! hahahaha

Old 03-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by whip
Heck Ya! A RED Sox Fan in Chi-town! hahahaha
Gregg has ***** when it comes to his choice of teams, he showed up here in NY with full Chicago Bear Wear on right after we all lost our $ in the Superbowl pool cause their quarterback throws like a ****** sissy

Old 03-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Bent rods

Originally Posted by dirt bike dave
When you click the starter, one of the other cylinders can fire right away, adding quite a bit of power/torque to what the starter motor and battery were already providing.

The motor can fire one cylinder and hydro-lock another in 1/4 turn of the crank. It would seem to the driver it did not start.
Years ago when I worked on aircraft with radial engines it was common practice to remove the spark plugs from the lower cylinders to allow oil to drain out, before cranking the engine over to start. This was to avoid bending a connecting rod on cylinders partially filled with oil. The rods would not bend from the torque of the starter motor but would readily bend if one or more cylinders fired. I know a radial engine is a lot different than a 5.4 but bent rod(s) are quite possible on some engines if they fire on one or more cylinders.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Are you listening Gregg ???
Now get rid of that stupid quote of mine, I sound like an *******

Old 03-08-2007, 06:48 PM

Quick Reply: The REAL reason the Red Rocket died.