Lightning

The REAL reason the Red Rocket died.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy The REAL reason the Red Rocket died.

Well I talked to my mechanic today..

As I mentioned before, the I/C was a possibility... until further investigation was done. Well the real reason that it went was a

SMALL PIN HOLE in the HEAD on the intake side of # 1 cylinder. These are PATRIOT HEADS..

He pressure tested the I/C and it is just fine.
My mechanic talked to 3 Ford guys who he knows very well and are in the Racing / Building side of the world, and they said that PATRIOT heads are known to do this, due to cheap casting and thin walls, and when it was explained what exactly happened to me... "turning of the truck, and hydro-lock" ... it is exactly the way it happens.

He said he could weld the hole, but suggested getting new heads, no "guarantee" that it wont happen again. So that is what I am going to do.. get new heads.

#1 rod was mangled, and # 5 was also affected he said. The rest of the motor is in Great shape! and even said how WELL BUILT it is..

So that is the "rest of the story" .... Now to go after PATRIOT,since the motor only has about 4000 miles on it

Beware PATRIOT head owners.. this could happen to YOU!

Old 03-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I've used Patriot heads for a long time, and never had ONE issue with them, contrary to what some people say. And I've also used the brands that those people say are better, and HAVE had issues with those. So take that for what it's worth.

It sounds like the people who gave you that information, don't know what they are talking about. Patriot (and everyone else) doesn't cast their own modular heads, they modify stock Ford castings.

I don't really think you have any recourse from Patriot. I could see if the motor was JUST built, and the head came like that from them, but this motor has been together and running fine for 3 years. It might be possible that there was a soft spot or something in the casting, and it fatigued over time until it leaked, but again, that's a casting issue, not really Patriots fault.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:40 PM
I like to know if lfp stage 2 heads are the same,as the patriot just wondering

Old 03-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by LightningTuner
It might be possible that there was a soft spot or something in the casting, and it fatigued over time until it leaked, but again, that's a casting issue, not really Patriots fault.

Just my 2 cents.

Over time? 4000 miles?

Old 03-01-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by ChiTown
Over time? 4000 miles?
It may only be 4000 miles, but it was also almost 3 years. The truck sitting not used can definitely add to the "wear" factor of a casting, in the sense of corrosion from lack of coolant circulation.

Also, it's not like those 4000 miles were "easy" driving. This truck was built for fun and speed.

If you think your scenario sucks, here's a worse (related) one for you....

I have a buddy with a Mustang, who started having his car built up at another shop over 3 years ago. He went with these special Roush heads for his 347 stroker. He ran into some money issues and the car was put on hold for a while. Fast forward to about two months ago, the car finally gets fired up for the first time. He's got coolant pouring into one of his cylinders. The shop pulls the heads to find a big hole in the casting on one. Keep in mind, this is the first time the motor has been started, and the heads were purchased 3 years ago. They call Roush. Roush says they don't sell that head any more, and they never even made them. They just gave the name rights to Bill Mitchell to make this Roush head. They call Mitchell. Mitchell says "yeah, we had casting issues with that head, that's why we don't make them anymore. But that was like 3-4 years ago." They tell the guy they bought the heads 3 years ago, and this is the first time starting the engine. Guess what Mitchell did for them? Nothing. Neither did Roush. And this is on a part where the manufacturer actually admitted there being a casting flaw.

I know it sucks, but I can't see anyone doing anything about it.

I would say give Gunnar a call at Patriot. See what he says. You never know, he might just send you a new head. You can tell him the heads were purchased by me. If he needs me to supply proof of that, I will be happy to do so.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Man that sucks... Didn't patriot have some valve guide issues also with motors using oil?

Old 03-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by LightningTuner
Well, I've used Patriot heads for a long time, and never had ONE issue with them, contrary to what some people say. And I've also used the brands that those people say are better, and HAVE had issues with those. So take that for what it's worth.

It sounds like the people who gave you that information, don't know what they are talking about. Patriot (and everyone else) doesn't cast their own modular heads, they modify stock Ford castings.

I don't really think you have any recourse from Patriot. I could see if the motor was JUST built, and the head came like that from them, but this motor has been together and running fine for 3 years. It might be possible that there was a soft spot or something in the casting, and it fatigued over time until it leaked, but again, that's a casting issue, not really Patriots fault.

Just my 2 cents.
I'd be very concerned with the persons opinion who said it was Patriots fault because of a bad casting. Anyone with minimal experience should know that it is a Ford casting.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:08 PM
I've heard nothing good about patriot heads.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:16 PM
I bought a set when Patriot was just starting to port Mod heads. I have had NO problems at all. They have worked flawlessly and produced awesome power. As can be seen in my sig. There customer service is awesome too. And btw who is your mechanic? He does'nt know much about mod motors.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Calightnin
I'd be very concerned with the persons opinion who said it was Patriots fault because of a bad casting. Anyone with minimal experience should know that it is a Ford casting.
+1, I'd wish someone would cast heads for us that would dramatically flow more, but nobody does.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:39 PM
I knew it would go this way.. he said - she said.. but its all good!
All I know is that I am NOT going to put them back on.. new heads are being ordered so I can get my L back on the road.. Flame on!

Old 03-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Hey for once I actually guessed right. That is exactly what happened to my stock heads! Just a bad casting, It happens. Good luck on the rebuild.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Calightnin
Core shift within a casting can create thin spots in some areas and it can vary from head to head. You can develop a CNC porting program for a head and have it be great most of the time but bust through a wall on certain castings. All wall thicknesses should be checked after any major porting.

BTW, Ford castings have plenty of core shift. That doesn't mean they are a bad casting stock but you'd better be extra careful when modifying them.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe Sal or someone else can explain:

How did 2 rods get bent, if the truck was shut off, the coolant leaked into the cylinder and the affected rods are on opposite sides of the block from each other ?

If the rods were adjacent to each other, I'd say maybe - even that does not explain how they both got bent if the motor simply would not turn over when they went to start the truck ?

Call me simple, but something doesn't seem to add up....

Old 03-01-2007, 07:50 PM
damn............

really sorry to see all the drama you have had to endure Chitown. While patriot uses ford casting, there are numerous posting of **** poor quality from them. But then again, thats why they are dirt cheap.
Gotta wonder how the people feel that said you where beating on the truck feel now?

But you can't blame Patriot for a casting issue, but maybe a porting issue

Quick Reply: The REAL reason the Red Rocket died.