Lightning

Changed *&%?@ plugs today

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007 | 10:07 AM
Ya the ole fatman does have it down to a science
I actually find the best time to do it is late night with a drop light,
this way you can concentrate on one at a time and bang them right out.

The important thing I find is each time you do it tie schitt out of the way, re-route schitt, delete schitt, move schitt, here a schitt everwhere a schitt schitt (lol) (and of course for petes sake why does anyway still have their egr set up, hehehehehe)

Do it enough times and you'll see what a diff it can make, on Blacky #1 you could just reach in on "any cylinder" and just DO IT

Yes ever the dreaded last one on the Drivers Side

The only one I dont use the thumb screw on is the dreaded Fuel Regulator Coil

Of course that was then, now I have the whipple in the way
()#W^%($%(W%)(%@#)$%@#$)%@#$)@#%$)WE)R%W)R

Ok 9.74 @139.76 MPH and I'm over it, **** I'll pay someone 200.00 now : o ()

Old 03-04-2007 | 10:23 AM
|
Rob - I remember reading about those thumbscrews for the coil packs before but forgot where you found them. Can you refresh everyone on their source?

Dan

Old 03-04-2007 | 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by SVTARKANSAS
Ribs came out OK. Calves and ankles are sore from leaning over the fender. No cuts or busted knuckles but the hands feel a little beat up. How anyone alone can do this in 45 minutes without ripping something out or breaking something by accident beats me. Now if I can just get the coil pack screws all back in.

Dan

The most valuable tool for putting the rear coil screw back in is an extension magnet. Once they fall down into the rear abyss, theres no coming back!

Old 03-04-2007 | 11:24 AM
I just changed mine out again, Only prob was I dropped my mini-mag flashlight down behind the plenum.No way to get it out without major disassembly.

Old 03-04-2007 | 11:25 AM
Can't believe nobody mentioned that feeling when a coil pack screw snaps off flush with the manifold.

Old 03-04-2007 | 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by todd abbott
Once a year I gladly pay the 100.00 for labor and a set of plugs from JDM, why? Because it's a pita and I like my knuckles.
As much as I hate to agree with Tim, I'm with you on this, too.

Old 03-04-2007 | 07:23 PM
|
Originally Posted by EZGZ
Can't believe nobody mentioned that feeling when a coil pack screw snaps off flush with the manifold.

Well, that's one thing I didn't have to deal with. Put everything back with lots of antisieze. Finally finished - what a pain. Took about 1-1/2 hours to get the drivers side coil pack screw in on the rear cylinder. Finally tied a thread around it and my finger in case I dropped it and managed to get it in with my fingers. Thread is still in there until next time.

Dan

Old 03-04-2007 | 07:53 PM
Cool

HI!... Only take me like 30 minutes to change my plugs. Not hard at all.

Old 03-04-2007 | 11:03 PM
Once a year I gladly pay the 100.00 for labor and a set of plugs from JDM, why? Because it's a pita and I like my knuckles.
Todd next timee you need them done let me knnow
I will do them for you, only 50 bucks for my good friend, hehe

Old 03-04-2007 | 11:25 PM
Thanks Don, now that I've done the Whipple, I'm thinking that 100.00 is going to double.

Old 03-05-2007 | 07:01 AM
Rob - I remember reading about those thumbscrews for the coil packs before but forgot where you found them. Can you refresh everyone on their source?

Dan
Expensive but worth it imo
http://www.madenterprise.com/F150.htm

Originally Posted by EZGZ
Not if your using the Thumb Screws, And there's no prob with the last one on either side, just reach in and screw it in.... only takes a sec

Thanks Don, now that I've done the Whipple, I'm thinking that 100.00 is going to double.
Todd, how bad is the Whipple ??? Now that I have one and the more I look at it the more I realize how ****** stupid they designed it over that one plug, and there was no reason for it, a very simple design change could have corrected it.

All I know is the IAC seems to be jambed tight against that one coil and I see no possible way to remove the coil or plug without removing the Blower.
Then everyone tells me no prob only 4 bolts holding it on, yet the 4 bolts are upside down and seem to be in impossible spots to get to, WTF ????
please do tell, me and plugs are like a team
OR SOMETHING.....

Old 03-05-2007 | 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by Rob_00Lightning
All I know is the IAC seems to be jambed tight against that one coil and I see no possible way to remove the coil or plug without removing the Blower.
Then everyone tells me no prob only 4 bolts holding it on, yet the 4 bolts are upside down and seem to be in impossible spots to get to, WTF ????
please do tell, me and plugs are like a team
OR SOMETHING.....
When I had the whipple, I just pulled it for a plug change. You can take it completely off in 20 minutes and then you have an easy shot at all the plugs. I do like the KB 2.6 design a lot better.

Old 03-05-2007 | 10:45 AM
Well, that's one thing I didn't have to deal with. Put everything back with lots of antisieze. Finally finished - what a pain. Took about 1-1/2 hours to get the drivers side coil pack screw in on the rear cylinder. Finally tied a thread around it and my finger in case I dropped it and managed to get it in with my fingers. Thread is still in there until next time.

Dan
Definitely not easy the first couple of times but one suggestion I can make is to get yourself a retractible magnetic wand / pointer type deal. You can put the coil pack bolt on the end of it and point it down towards the hole in the coil pack. Once it's in the general area you have a free hand to push down on it while you remove the magnet. Viola, it's in the hole. Then it's just a matter of the magical extension, swivel, adapter combo to get the socket on the bolt and tighten away. A 7mm (or is it 8?) swivel socket for the coil packs is a MUST.

Once you get the hang of which combo to use you'll be able to do it as fast as others have stated.

Congrats.

Old 03-05-2007 | 07:03 PM
|
Originally Posted by Neal
HI!... Only take me like 30 minutes to change my plugs. Not hard at all.
So let me get this straight - on a stock 5.4 mod motor in a 1999 F-150 truck, you can pull coil pack screw, remove the coil pack, remove the spark plug, gap the new plug, install new plug, reinstall the coil pack, and reinstall the screw in 3 minutes and 42 seconds continuously, bam, bam bam - until all 8 are done in 30 minutes? If that's the case, a standard mod motor ain't nothing like a Lightning mod motor.

Dan

Old 03-05-2007 | 08:57 PM
No, he might be able to do it that quick on his mod motor - no way on a "standard" mod motor....

Take a peek at some of the pics he has posted of his rig - lots of accessibility to everything.

Quick Reply: Changed *&%?@ plugs today