Lightning

Brisk spark plug blown!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007 | 11:08 AM
I just have to shake my head. from the moment tuners started claiming that adding BRISK plugs would increase poiwer I started laughing and calling them out. Of course everyone jumped on the tuners bandwagon.

All a sparkplug does is spark and remove some heat from the cylinder.

With all that metal near the electrode, I'm sure those plugs RETAIN a lot of heat. That is one reason when you buy ported heads, there are no sharp edges in the combustion chamber, they are ground smooth, as to prevent hot spots.

GERMAN:
Does the piston have a hole in the top? If so, it is likely that the plug end broke up, got wedged between the head and the piston and broke the piston. Requiring:
Examination of the head and possible replacement
complete rebuild of lower end. (if there is metal from the piston/cylinder wall in the lower end, it WILL eventually end up in the bearings and spin a bearing.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Old 03-19-2007 | 03:27 PM
|
Hey guys,

on friday I met Holger, the guy who bought my L. They built out the engine and the following things were damaged.
On the driver side the first and the third piston in driving direction and on the passenger side the third valve is broken and of course the plugs. The other plugs and pistons look well.
Look at the pics below.

So, I've got a autometer boost gauge and it showed 14lbs of maximum boost. I also built in a fuel pressure gauge and the pressure at wot was 55psi, I think. And the Wide Band Commander showed at wot an A/F ratio of 11,5 -11,8. I have a Predator and a tune of James from RWTD uploaded to the pcm. James always told me to hear if there are detonations or pinging, but there was nothing and he recommended me the Brisk plugs. The engine runs very good and I always use premium fuel ( SHELL VPower with 100 German octan) as James told me.

Old 03-19-2007 | 03:29 PM
|
Old 03-19-2007 | 04:31 PM
Those are great pictures. Extremely detailed.

I would never use those Brisk plugs but that engine had to be running really hot and detonating to get that kind of damage.

This is never a pleasant sight but it keeps me grounded whenever I get tempted to turn up boost and timing.

Old 03-19-2007 | 09:47 PM
First set, I was told I needed bigger injectors because my boost levels were high,, so I bought them thru the tuner…

Second set, my tuner say’s I didn’t know you were running that much boost.
Funny it was in the mod list I sent him,,,,, Almost lost an Engine. If your tuner is too busy too listen, find another……

New tuner in the future you wonder,, BY GOD.
I am not a tuner that is why I paid one, go figure……

Old 08-09-2007 | 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by TrackBeast
Those are great pictures. Extremely detailed.

I would never use those Brisk plugs but that engine had to be running really hot and detonating to get that kind of damage.

This is never a pleasant sight but it keeps me grounded whenever I get tempted to turn up boost and timing.
I think this way, too.

I suppose German & Dbl would boost up their engine with turbo,

it results in blow off spark plugs.

As for my thought the heat range of Brisk 15=NGK 6=Denso 20,

i never see such high heat spark plug could properly settle in a turbo engine.

Old 08-09-2007 | 01:05 PM
Question

Originally Posted by jbjb
I think this way, too.

I suppose German & Dbl would boost up their engine with turbo,

it results in blow off spark plugs.

As for my thought the heat range of Brisk 15=NGK 6=Denso 20,

i never see such high heat spark plug could properly settle in a turbo engine.
huh?

Little blast from the past post.

Old 08-09-2007 | 06:29 PM
Still fresh in my mind, arrrrghh.
She is still running strong and I am gathering parts , planning for the inevitable day (Snap Crackle Pop) when she titers over the edge...

Old 08-09-2007 | 09:03 PM
I bought a set of Brisk plugs when they first came out from a tuner. I put them in and went for a drive and my truck ran terrible! back firing out the exhaust and bucking! I went home and pulled them out and 4 of them were dark like they wern't even firing. I called the tuner and he made things right, he sent me a set of TR-6s free of charge and took the brisks back. I used TR-6s before the Brisk trial and have only used TR-6s since with no problems!!! Jim

Quick Reply: Brisk spark plug blown!!!