Lightning

Brisk spark plug blown!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007 | 03:27 PM
|
Brisk spark plug blown!!!

Hey guys,
yesterday the guy, who bought my L, called me and told me that one Brisk spark plug is blown. It looks like the plug exploded in the engine room and the electrode falls down on the piston. There is now oil inside. All other plugs look fine!!! What do you think a failure in material or can it be the injection???
Anyone have also problems with Brisk plugs???
Where to buy the parts??? Ford or aftermarket???
Please give me your opinions.

Old 03-10-2007 | 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by GermanLightning
It looks like the plug exploded in the engine room and the electrode falls down on the piston. There is now oil inside. All other plugs look fine!!! What do you think a failure in material or can it be the injection???
Congratulations GL you've managed to confuse me

Ok what fell where and how do we know there's oil inside the engine room
OR SOMETHING ???
If your saying a piece of the spark plug got into the Cylinder and damaged the wall bad enough to be passing oil, wow that sucks monkey ***
As for why ? it could have just been their time or it could have been defective, or one of many different possibilities (inj's could be one of them).
Anytime you hurt a plug or plugs and you know the tune is right then it's time to look at Fuel Delivery and all it's components

Old 03-10-2007 | 06:57 PM
Close the door to the engine room so they cant fall in it.LOL

Old 03-11-2007 | 07:29 AM
|
Originally Posted by Rob_00Lightning
Congratulations GL you've managed to confuse me

Ok what fell where and how do we know there's oil inside the engine room
OR SOMETHING ???
If your saying a piece of the spark plug got into the Cylinder and damaged the wall bad enough to be passing oil, wow that sucks monkey ***
As for why ? it could have just been their time or it could have been defective, or one of many different possibilities (inj's could be one of them).
Anytime you hurt a plug or plugs and you know the tune is right then it's time to look at Fuel Delivery and all it's components
They deinstalled the plug and the round electrode of the plug wasn't there anymore. So they deinstalled another 2 plugs and they looked very good. Than they use an endoscope to look into the cam where the plug was blown. They saw that the piston is damaged and full of oil. If the wall is damaged, I don't know, they want to remove the engine next week, to look what is really damaged.
The tune is from James from RWTD and it worked well, all the time I drove the L. We use only Shell V-Power fuel, with German 100 octan, as James told me to do.
He told me, he was cruising on the highway with 65 Mph, than he want to pass his wife, she drove in front of him, he slightly pulls the gas pedal and when he is passing his wife, there was a noise and dark smoke briefly comes out of the exhaust. He immediately stopped the car.
That's what I know now. Holger, the guy who bought the L, is a nice man and I want to help him, as far as I can.

Last edited by GermanLightning; 03-11-2007 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-11-2007 | 08:53 AM
Believe me I can relate...

Ok so they did look down in the cylinder with a scope, and you say you have Piston damage and oil in there. Will you ever know exaclty what happen, most like NO, but I can tell you that although you can damage a piston with pieces of a spark plug the chances of it happening are very slight, especially if it only happen once. I had a motor in the 02L that ate 13 sets of spark plugs and later when the motor was taking a part the pistons still looked BRAND NEW. AMOF the shortblock was sold and installed in another L

GL you mentioned two things very important to this,
#1 you were running 100 Ocatane,
#2 he was on the parkway at speed and went to pass his wife
Let me guess #3 IT WAS COLD OUT ???

Parkway Downshifts on a Lightning are responsible for prob 85-90% of Blown Motors to begin with, (and in cold weather the % increases). In the winter you can sit back and wait for the Blown Motor Post each year, and even after all we learned this year was no differant, amof it was one of the worse years I can remember. People dont seem to understand a few very important facts about a Lightning and cold weather and parkway driving. #1 we have an adaptive learning computer and if your cruising along all mellow the computer makes all kinds of adjustments
BASED ON YOUR CURRENT DRIVING SITUATION. Leaning it out is usually one of the adjustments it makes, but the #2 reason Winter Kills them more is the computer also adds timing in the cold, AND A LOT OF TIMING AT THAT. So now your driving along all mellow and the computer has got you running mean and lean and it's taking in all this nice cold air, you put it to the floor the computer adds timing and then all of a sudden motor go BOOM!!!

BTW this is also the reason you see everyone disconnect their battery when they get to the track, "resetting the computer".

The damage your describing was most likely due a lean condition in that cylinder, (thats what usually damages pistons). But of course there are other things that can also do it, in my case on the 02 it was a little piece of the valve that broke off and got down in the cylinder, unfortunately you dont burn that up and spit it out so easy....

Best of luck to both of you and please keep us informed, the more people read these post the more they'll understand what NOT to do, especially in cold weather

Old 03-11-2007 | 10:11 AM
All great advice, I run the Brisk's and have for two changes now first one 30K and going for round 2. I haven't heard of any problems with them. 100 Octane is pretty strong for the street, you maybe burning the Electrode.

Old 03-11-2007 | 12:22 PM
If you dropped the electrod into the cylinder that sucks, scratched cylinder walls/passing oil/loss in compression none of which are good news, I don't know much about brisk plugs but my question is this, why not run what the masses run? Denso's or NGK's, I'm not trying to start anything or highjack I'm just a firm believer in run what works, both of these plugs have run in the 9 and have been tested in thousands of L's, so why not? As for cold weather and high speed down shifts, do a search, Rob nailed it, every year one after another with rods through the block, theres more than one factor involved but in my opinion built or not not cold weather and downshifts=blown motors, maybe less often with a real set of rods, supporting mods and good tuning but by no means a given.

Old 03-11-2007 | 12:24 PM
Well in the midst of a plug change now and found some ceramic missing on one of my Brisk's,,, Not good!
That would explian my idle skip..

Old 03-11-2007 | 01:37 PM
Damm found another with missing Ceramic's...One per side..

Old 03-11-2007 | 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Dbl G
Well in the midst of a plug change now and found some ceramic missing on one of my Brisk's,,, Not good!
That would explian my idle skip..
Originally Posted by Dbl G
Damm found another with missing Ceramic's...One per side..
Garrett, those Brisk plugs are junk...

Old 03-11-2007 | 03:05 PM
I didn't have skip one untill about a 2K miles ago,,, So based on that,,, that is when I upped thing's by 2 lb.'s +

Old 03-15-2007 | 05:16 AM
Old 03-15-2007 | 08:43 AM
'Made in Chechoslovokia'

Old 03-15-2007 | 09:38 AM
So, whats your point. Mercedes Benz made in Hmmm

Old 03-15-2007 | 10:32 AM
They look a lot like the Bosch plugs wonder if maybe there all made by the same outfit and marked with different logos!!! There is another brand out there also can't remember the name but I think its a green circle with a script lower case e in the middle. At any rate I had them in my quad and had the ceramic come apart. Seems funny that it might just be a more common problem than we think with some very expensive plugs. Artie

Quick Reply: Brisk spark plug blown!!!