Lightning

Intercooler Res. II

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2000 | 12:04 AM
Hmm. My dealer pressure-checked mine and found no problems. But if its a pinhole problem and only shows up under boost, I could see how they'd miss it. The truck's going back in Monday then.

Old 02-03-2000 | 10:33 AM
Cool

I really don't think you need to sweat a little coolant going through the motor. I've popped two sets of head gaskets on my 5.8l truck, once pumping untold quantities through the motor and about 9 quarts into the crank case. That was 50K miles ago.

There's nothing about the coolant going through the motor that's going to cause any damage that I can think of, except possibly to the catalytic converters.

I'm not suggesting to not get it fixed, obviously. Just saying that there is nothing about the problem that is inherently damaging to the motor if it is fixed.

------------------
Later!
Jeff S.
President, National Lightning Owners Club - http://nloc.org
SVT Lightning #74 in '95
11.92@115.2 on radials, driven daily
jeff_s@nloc.org or fmosracing@aol.com

Old 03-04-2000 | 12:52 AM
PFA
|
Angry

I jsut had to look under the hood today! My reservoir was down about 1 3/4" from the fill line, where it has been since I got it back on Jan. 18th. I was hoping this problem would finally be OVER!!!

[This message has been edited by PFA (edited 03-27-2000).]

Old 03-04-2000 | 09:22 AM
Question

PFA,

I Brought my L to the dealership last week,I told them about the problem that a few of us are experiencing.I also printed out some info. to have for ammunition(was waiting for a battle) but instead they handled it rather well. They took my L straight in and inspected it. After speaking to head technician and explained that I have coolant in the intake. He immedietly called SVT they told him that they are aware of the problem. They claimed that there are others loosing up to 2 gallons a week. What they suggested is drop some dye into the coolant and then hit it with a blacklight a few days later. Well, they found the inside of the intake completly covered with coolant.

Haven`t they replaced you intercooler twicw already on you L? This is what they are planning for mine on the 13th.They told me they will pressure check it prior to insall. SVT told my tech guy that they are replacing motors for the L`s that are loosing more that 2 gallons a week. I am only loosing 1/2 gallon a week Maybe you can check into a motor replacement, considering your L is still loosing coolant.Man I hope we get this problem fixed soon. I know it`s pissing you off as much as it is me..

------------------
99 SVT Lightning
BLK. #1476 5/20/99
------------------
2 Chamber Flowmasters
Downs Air Intake
B.F.Goodrich Drag T/A`s
Superchips
------------------
Cervin`s 3-inch Cowl Hood
A-pillar Phantom Boost Guage
Redline Water Wetter
Sportmaster Flip tonneau
Tow package
CD changer

Best run to date
13.064 @105.33

"Empty Pockets Racing"Drag Race Team NJ-DE

LAUNCH HARD

Old 03-04-2000 | 06:52 PM
Talking

SVTLEMONBOY:
To bad you traded your truck away. Did you
take a loss on it or what. Sounds like every-
thing could of been fix to me. I have an 99
Arrest Me Red Lightning that has now 10509
miles on it and (#914) have had nothing go
wrong yet! An these miles are rather hard too. Guess I take good care of my truck.

------------------
Robert B. Chuhran

Old 03-05-2000 | 12:48 AM
PFA
|
Spiro
I had found out that they replaced the small radiator that is for the intercooler the first time around, it is also called an intercooler. The part I needed (and you) was the air-charge unit thats on the intake. They did the die test on mine also. From what they told me is that it didn't leak on just a pressure test and they couldn't pressure test it while it was running because it would ruin the pump.
I'll check it in a few days to see if has dropped at all and call the dealer.

Old 03-06-2000 | 10:17 PM
I lost a few gallon on it but I will recover. The biggest mistake I made was buying a used one without having my mechanic check it out first. I think the previous owner was a 16 year old or something... I bought an abused truck. There were several other clues that lead me to get rid of it. I plan on buying another one soon. A 2000 or a 2001 model.

remember if you have a 99 check your intercooler level weekly and never add any if it is low just bring it in and let ford deal with it.

Old 03-07-2000 | 01:10 AM
Arrow

"They claimed that there are others loosing up to 2 gallons a week. "

Well, they were probably talking about me. My truck has been in and out of the shop as my coolant loss got worse. At first they told me there was nothing wrong, then that there might be a problem and they couldnt find it, and finally that they would replace the intercooler. My dealer has contacted SVT on my behalf and spoken with them extensively. They are going to replace my intercooler but the part is backordered until March 20th. My dealer has advised me not to drive the truck (i have a rental but a 4.6L ext cab is a far cry from the lightning). He was worried that if the problem got any worse it could hydrolock? a cylinder. Anyway, I'll keep up with the updates as I hear more.

oh yeah, another indication of SEVERE intercooler problems is the failure of the exhaust sensors (o2 sensor i think). All the fluid I was burning was fouling the sensors and I had to have them replaced twice. At the end, the engine was even misfiring under boost and bucking because the fluid was inhibiting combustion. Take it from me, at the first sign of fluid loss, take in in and get it fixed.

[This message has been edited by Nathan (edited 03-07-2000).]

Old 03-07-2000 | 05:21 PM
Question

PFA,

I was wondering,When they did the dye test on yours did they find any coolant inside the upper intake? They found the dye behind my throttle body inside the intake.
I have noticed now during full throttle 1-2 shift my L burps out a cloud of smoke. This happening to you?

Old 03-07-2000 | 11:48 PM
PFA
|
Hey Spiro
They did find the dye in the intake but also took off the supercharger and made the pump come on and saw the coolant flow.

I checked today and my reservoir and it was totally empty! So in about 4-5 days it was all gone.

Old 03-08-2000 | 10:00 AM
Thanks PFA. It doesn`t seem that this could be such a easy fix as the dealership thinks. I have been contacting EATON via E-mail, I have been trying to find out what kind of damage can the blower sustain. I was told quote "over a long period of time the coolant can make its way bast the seals and into the gearcase". I am going to also fight for a new blower. I`m sure this has caused some time of damage to them. I`ll let you know what happens...

Old 03-08-2000 | 11:15 AM
I would tell them that your using over the two gallon limit now and get a new motor with supercharger.

Old 03-20-2000 | 02:16 PM
Ok, here's the deal. If you are loosing coolant from the intercooler reservoir and there are no visible leaks, its being aspirated into the engine. DO NOT allow this to go uncorrected. If its gotten to the point where your check engine light comes on, your o2 sensors have been fouled and the bad stuff isnt far around the bend. I had to fight my dealer for weeks to get this fixed but it must be done. They finally replaced

intercooler
intercooler gaskets
o2 sensor
cats

Also have them check
plugs
injectors
for fouling.

There is a new batch of intercoolers that just arrived from Ford's supplier. The leaks might just be a a problem from one batch. My replacement from the new batch is holding ok (for now).

The new batch was backordered and wasnt supposed to reach Ford from their supplier until March 20 at which point it would probably take some time to go into inventory list and so on.
After raising holy hell with my dealer he managed to track the part to the vendor and order it directly from them, bypassing the Ford inventory system.

[This message has been edited by Nathan (edited 03-20-2000).]

Old 03-20-2000 | 03:34 PM
PFA
|
Hey DH
I have talked with Cindy--service manager and Ed--the shop foreman. Both of these people have had contact with me this last time while the L is still there! I would suggest calling and asking for ED the shop foreman. He knows alot about what's going on right now. He is in contact with several people with about what to do with it so it's not just a band-aid fix again.
Good luck
Wayne--PFA

Old 03-20-2000 | 05:02 PM
Unhappy

I am being told from my dealer that the intercooler is still back-ordered.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Res. II