Lightning

Intercooler Res. II

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2000 | 06:10 PM
PFA
|
My understanding is that the intercooler (cooler aasmbly-air charge) is available and must be ordered EMERGENCY to get it quickly. Talk to your dealer and tell them this. They should be able to get one shortly.

Old 03-20-2000 | 10:41 PM
Question

has anyone with 2000s been having problems with theirs yet?

Or maybey they just dont have enough mileage.

im at 2800 and watching my coolant closely!

------------------
Struck by Lightning
Lightningstruck9@aol.com

Furthering the American Quest of Unlimited Horsepower and Crappy Gas Mileage!

Old 03-21-2000 | 12:41 AM
PFA-

I lost my intercooler coolent recently and now it has trouble idling (O2 sensor damage?). I took it to Village Ford this morning. I had printed this thread and asked to talk to someone who knew about your truck. They knew nothing. Any advice?

David Ferguson

Old 03-21-2000 | 03:11 PM
PFA (Wayne)-
Thanks for your help. My service writer is new. Got it back ‘diagnosed’. They spoke with the Hotline. SVT said a new coil was being manufactured and I would be put on the list for installation when they arrived.

Nathan-
Thank you too. They said my complaints of irregular idle problems and a rattle (knocking?) above 3,500 RPM were related and would be solved when the new coil was installed. I gave them your list of things to check out.

Old 03-21-2000 | 03:59 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the tip PFA, I will bring this to my dealers attention.

Spiro

Old 03-21-2000 | 04:08 PM
PFA
|
Question

Hey DHFerguson
I guess I don't quite understand...A new COIL??? or is it a new intercooler air charge unit? Did they find that you were losing fluid on the outside of the system onto the coil for the sparkplug?
Just curious...doesn't sound right.

Old 03-21-2000 | 04:34 PM
Rest In Peace
From: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
I feel for you guys right now, I had nothing wrong with my intercooler when we hit the moose, but it had to be replaced, and since I got it back, it still works fine, I guess. The collant level seems to have held its place over 2500 miles of driving in a week. I have this eerie feeling the body shop put regular anti-freeze in it. Is that correct? The fluid coolant is a green a little darker than that of the radiator fluid. Is that right? The dome light doesn't work, they forgot to put freon back in the a/c sustem, and the cruise control cable broke. The cable probably got damaged when we hit the moose, and it is unique to the Lightning. It has a different part number anyway. Ohwell, good luck guys.

------------------
99 Black Lightning
created 8/17/99, bought 9/25/99
#3681/4000
CD changer, Tow package, factory tonneau cover
100k mile warrantee, bed/under liner, paint protected

Old 03-21-2000 | 04:43 PM
PFA (Wayne)-
From what I understand, the intercooler coil looks somethine like a heater coil and sits under the supercharger. It appears to be leaking and needs replacement with a coil of improved design. Village Ford thinks the idle and knock problems are related to having glycol go through the engine. Nothing I know of is related to the spark coils.

Old 03-27-2000 | 11:16 AM
Question

Is there an acceptable loss rate of coolant. I have 17,000 miles on mine and for the first time had to put about a pint of coolant in the holding tank. Should I print this thread and go to the dealer. I notice water coming out of my exhaust in the morning but I figured this was just condensation.
Concerned,
Noel

Old 03-27-2000 | 02:30 PM
Unhappy

Stopped by my dealership today to see the progress of the backorder.Still no luck, I was told they were handling it priority order.Considering I am losing a half-gallon a week seems to be priority enough. I know there are some of us that can`t even drive their SVT`s,so I guess I should enjoy the ride

Old 03-27-2000 | 03:06 PM
PFA
|
Unhappy

Spiro
Sorry to here your still waiting.
I did get mine back on friday the 24th. They changed the intake, intercooler air charge unit and new blower all as one unit, from what I understand. Since this was my third time into the shop for this, it may be why I got a little quicker service.

How long has it been in the shop, or are you still driving it?
----------------------
I must add that I had 19,000 miles on the old blower and the new one seems to be very tight! It almost seems like I have lost some power because of the change. I am barely making it over 9#'s of boost, where I had always pegged 10+ even when new! This is a bit discouraging. It just don't seem like the L it was!

[This message has been edited by PFA (edited 03-27-2000).]

Old 03-27-2000 | 03:19 PM
Question

Just wondering.... can the truck be used w/o coolant? It may not have the same power but you wouldn't put any anti freeze thru the engine while waiting for parts.
Tom

Old 03-27-2000 | 03:25 PM
PFA
|
What I was told on that was that once the engine/intercooler reached a certain temp. that the blower would be bypassed, dropping your power of coarse. They wanted to return mine to me with the pump disconnected until they received parts and I refused!!! I would only accept it the way that I bought it and that they had it until it was fixed! This is Ford's problem not mine.

Sorry for the long post...it kind of got me goin'

Old 03-27-2000 | 04:48 PM
Hey PFA, Glad to hear you got your L back I am lucky that I could still drive mine.The truck feels awesome I really thinks its getting faster. The head tech guy at my local ford said it would be O.K to continue to drive it. He has driven the truck and I have taken him on a power run also, Seems like my leak is so small they are repairing other L`s that need it. He does keep in touch with SVT 3 times a week personally.He is the only tech that takes care of all SVT`s at Winner Ford. I have yet to even change my plugs, I hope this is taken care of soon......

Old 03-27-2000 | 10:57 PM
PFA
|
Red face

I just talked with a buddy here at work and his 99 L just started to leak. He has about 13-14,000 miles on it. Looks like Ford is going to have a serious problem on their hands as the mileage starts to rack up on some of these!

Quick Reply: Intercooler Res. II