Lightning

Intercooler Res. II

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-1999 | 05:09 AM
PFA
|
Angry Intercooler Res. II

Got my Lightning back and have put about 2,000 miles on it now, since intercooler service. I have checked the level about 5 times now and have put in about 2.5 gal. of coolant. I can't believe that this "NEW" intercooler has already defected!
I have let it run after being hot for about 20 minutes and I can't find any kind of leaks anywhere. I'm going to have to call on the dealer again, and probably be without again for several weeks.

Any other possible ideas?!!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by PFA (edited 03-27-2000).]

Old 12-31-1999 | 07:30 AM
Cool

Just a suggestion have them pressure check the intercooler under water to check for leaks. That would suck if it was never the problem. Another thing check into the lemon laws. They give you back your money and then buy a 2000. Scott

[This message has been edited by SCOTTODOG (edited 12-31-1999).]

Old 12-31-1999 | 07:51 AM
Question

How did you become of the problem with the intercooler - what was the indication of it malfunctioning?

Thanks.

------------------
Sandy (Spider) Scott
99 White Lightning
Coming soon: Airaid air box & Superchip to be installed directly at the factory.

Old 12-31-1999 | 10:57 AM
Hey PFA, I still have the problem . I`ll finally have some time to check it in detail. I`ll let you know if I discover anything wrong.

------------------
99 SVT Lightning
BLK. #1476 5/20/99
2 Chamber Flowmasters
Downs Air Intake
B.F.Goodrich Drag T/A`s
Superchips
A-pillar Phantom Boost Guage
Redline Water Wetter
Sportmaster Flip tonneau
Tow package
CD changer

Best run to date
13.064 @105.33

"Empty Pockets Racing"Drag Race Team NJ-DE

Old 12-31-1999 | 01:51 PM
PFA, don't know if the coolant can leak into the air charge under boost or not. if it can, you might be burning it. i spray my dodge with a water/alky mix above 8psi, right down the blower pipe. if it is doing that, i imagine there would be some clue on the spark plugs.

Old 12-31-1999 | 03:20 PM
This might be a dumb question, but does anyone make an air to air intercooler for the Lightning. I've read numerous articles stating the air to air intercoolers are superior to air to water (of course, I wonder who wrote the article).

Old 12-31-1999 | 07:09 PM
Skydive: A few have developed pinhole leaks in them indicated by a loss of coolant level.

------------------
Red 99.5 Lightning,#0975,Born 5/6/99...Adopted 5/27/99 Chipped w/SuperChip Flipchip chip,Water Wetter, Mobil 1, Foglamp Covers, 13.573@101.08

Trending Topics

Old 12-31-1999 | 11:34 PM
PFA
|
Like 4D said, there were pinholes found in several intercoolers after some mileage was put on the vehicles. Mine was in the shop for 15 days in Oct./Nov. to get it looked at and changed. I was losing a reservoir every 2 days.

Old 01-19-2000 | 05:40 AM
PFA
|
I know have my SECOND new intercooler.
I took my L in on 1/10 and just got it back on 1/18. The paperwork shows that the intercooler was changed, along with all sparkplugs, and even changed the oil and filter due to coolant exiting exhaust. They had apparently took the blower off and grounded pin 70 to turn on the pump and saw the coolant coming out at the air discharge cooler. This was all done per the Techline. All parts have been sent back to them also, for inspection. I can only hope this doesn't happen again!!!

The dealer also noted that if anyone in the Detroit area needs this done that they can make an appt. with them and they will go ahead and order the intercooler ahead of time so there is not a long wait. (VILLAGE FORD-DEARBORN)

Old 01-19-2000 | 01:27 PM
No Puddle No Leak! It would half to be burning it and at that rate could be critical. They need to check plugs and exhaust outlet, along with O2 sensor and oil.

Old 02-01-2000 | 09:56 PM
Talking

Fot those of us who are looking for the intercooler leak, you are all looking in the wrong place. IT IS ALL GOING THROUGH THE MOTOR AND OUT THE TAILPIPE!!!!!!!. So stop adding coolant if you have this problem. You will only do more damage. Take it in for service and demand a new motor. Last month I bought 99 lightning with 18K mi on it. 1 week after I bought it I noticed that the intercooler system was completely empty. I added 4 liters to the system and I BLEW IT ALL OUT and the next day I traded it in. The place that I traded to did not discover the problem and they gave me $26,000 for it.

This intercooler problem has been widely reported by others on this web site. ALL of the 99's have a high probability of developing this problem and ford is currently working on a solution.

Old 02-02-2000 | 02:01 AM
Question

lemonhead, Why trade? Why not taking your own advise to get a new engine? You didn't even own the truck long enough to get your butt scent in the seat! You guys that buy something and get rid of it in such a short time amaze me!

Old 02-02-2000 | 09:48 AM
I just don't see an air-to-air intercooler happening with a positive displacement supercharger. Can't quite figure out how you'd plumb that one.

A correctly sized water-to-air intercooler with a correctly sized front-mount heat exchanger can be just as effective as air-to-air and more effective if you're a drag racer because you can pack the intercooler reservoir with ice.

------------------
Later!
Jeff S.
President, National Lightning Owners Club - http://nloc.org
SVT Lightning #74 in '95
11.92@115.2 on radials, driven daily
jeff_s@nloc.org or fmosracing@aol.com

Old 02-02-2000 | 02:18 PM
I am just wondering here.....I have read posts before about the hoses at the rear of the blower being loose....if they simply replace the intercooler I gather that they just detatch the hoses at the intercooler. It just seems strange that even with a new one that there is still the problem. You'd think they had checked the defective parts by now and removed them.

Paul G.

Old 02-02-2000 | 06:41 PM
Blue Blood,

The problem is that the motor did run fine so all ford was going to do is replace the intercooler. Some owners have caused "well defined damage" to their motors and they are the only ones who are going to get a brand new one. For the rest of us who have not been monitoring the intercooler level it means a engine with a shorter life. I think I will wait for the 2000 or better yet the 2001 model. By this time Ford should have the bugs worked out.

I just could not enjoy the truck knowing that at some time in the future when its likely out of warranty that I am going to have more problems with the engine.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Res. II