Lightning

Installed New Pulley....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007 | 08:34 AM
|
Installed New Pulley....

Hello,

I just installed a new 4lb pulley and got a tune from rpmoutlet.com
I got it all on, and it runs great.. nice new power...

problem is.. the s/c now make a whirring noise at idle that was not there before... I'm not sure how to descibe it... Its not the s/c whirring you hear like when floring it.. its not that distinct whine.. its at idle.. and goes away at any higher RPM levels...

it also noticeable from inside the cab...

has anybody that has added a pulley notice the s/c louder than beofre? and also, is there any kind of serivceing for the s/c available? how does the thing get lubricated...

This sound does not seem to be anything major, I hope, but it was not there before the pulley swap..

Thanks

Old 03-15-2007 | 09:01 AM
I read somewhere that the noise is cavitation in the supercharger. It's normal when you install a pulley.

You also need to get your tune verified on a dyno. Just to be on the safe side.

Old 03-15-2007 | 12:36 PM
|
Originally Posted by Rio J
I read somewhere that the noise is cavitation in the supercharger. It's normal when you install a pulley.

You also need to get your tune verified on a dyno. Just to be on the safe side.
I'm gonna go have a complete dyno tune tomorrow monring...

Cavitation in the S/C eh? Do you think this will make it wear out faster?

Old 03-15-2007 | 02:04 PM
It won't make it wear out any faster. Most people describe it as a "gurgling" or "marbles in a can" sound. If you do a search on cavitation you'll find that it is very common. One common fix it to slightly increase your idle speed.

Old 03-15-2007 | 08:42 PM
Is the pulley fully seated in the balancer and running square when you look down on it? Maybe it didn't get fully seated and the belt is making noise.

Old 03-16-2007 | 09:13 AM
|
Originally Posted by Rio J
It won't make it wear out any faster. Most people describe it as a "gurgling" or "marbles in a can" sound. If you do a search on cavitation you'll find that it is very common. One common fix it to slightly increase your idle speed.

yeah i noticed if I give it just a tad bit of gas the sound goes away...

im not too worried about it..

I am going in today for my dyno tune.. I hope with this 4 lb pulley and the 170 t-sat i will get some good numbers.. cheapest hp/cost ratio I have ever done thats for sure... now I just need a boost guage that goes over 12 psi to actually see it.. ha..

does anybody know what hp the 01-04 lightnings put to the wheels stock?

I would like to know to compare my numbers to it...

Old 03-16-2007 | 10:05 AM
As said nothing to worry about, you should here what it sounds like with a 8 or 10lb lower pulley, or a 2.6 KB

I believe they dyno @330 - 335 RWHP stock ? (never kept one stock long enough to know) hehehehe

You can hope for @380 - 390 RWHP on the dyno but without a L tuner being there to build you a true custom tune I dont know....
Best of Luck

Old 03-16-2007 | 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by cklepinger
does anybody know what hp the 01-04 lightnings put to the wheels stock?

I would like to know to compare my numbers to it...
Shoot me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you dyno results for just about every bolt-on you can think of...but 349 rwhp and 419 ft.lbs. is what I got on a stock '01.

Old 03-16-2007 | 11:16 PM
|
Originally Posted by Struck in AZ
Shoot me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you dyno results for just about every bolt-on you can think of...but 349 rwhp and 419 ft.lbs. is what I got on a stock '01.

Thanks for all your replies... Just goes to show how varied the dyno results are... I got with nothing more than a good tune, took 8 hours, and a 170 t-stat and a 4 lb pulley... 401.8 RWHP and 510.5 RWTQ at 11.8:1 a/f, and at 11.4 PSI.. the damn thing would not go over 11.3-11.4 psi... I was a little dishearted... was hoping for 12-13 psi...

but my s/c is making ALOT more noise than it did before... I hope this is just the caviting thing... i will raise my idle rpm to 800 to see if that will take care of it..

The truck pulls quite a bit harder now, but what i really am impressed with is when im light boosting, just passing somebody on the highway, how quick it is at 4-6 psi.. it seems like it floats... how much farther can i take this engine and S/C safely?

could i put a s/c pulley on it? to add 1 or 2 more psi? safely?

Old 03-17-2007 | 07:30 AM
401.8 RWHP and 510.5 RWTQ at 11.8:1 a/f, and at 11.4 PSI.. the damn thing would not go over 11.3-11.4 psi... I was a little dishearted... was hoping for 12-13 psi...

but my s/c is making ALOT more noise than it did before... I hope this is just the caviting thing... i will raise my idle rpm to 800 to see if that will take care of it..

The truck pulls quite a bit harder now, but what i really am impressed with is when im light boosting, just passing somebody on the highway, how quick it is at 4-6 psi.. it seems like it floats... how much farther can i take this engine and S/C safely?

could i put a s/c pulley on it? to add 1 or 2 more psi? safely?
Excellent results (10hp more than I expected)
Is that with the std RPM tune ? Dam impressive if it is ; o ) (are the #'s Uncorrected, STD, or SAE ???) Although their track record is close to 100% when it comes to screwing up an order or recieving the wrong items I still do alot of business with them because they have an awesome line up of L Mods and the price is truly unbeatable

As for your noise do you know any L owners ??? If you do have one listen in and give their opinion. If your impressed now dont worry you'll be A LOT more impressed as those Boost #'s climb another 50% in time

You could add an upper pulley and get a little more out of it, 450 HP seems to be a fairly safe place to be, although some go over 500 and get away with it.

now I just need a boost guage that goes over 12 psi to actually see it.. ha..
The #'s you see on the stock gauge are useless, yes get a gauge and CONGRATS YOU DID REAL GOOD, thats a 12 sec L now

Old 03-17-2007 | 09:04 AM
Keep your idle the same and adjust your T/B blade. By opening it just a bit you will lose some of the sound/cavitation makes, it is very common.
Then re-adjust your TPS to .99V, Your Idle should 750 - 780 in drive and or in Idle.
Or you could just get a cog set-up and never hear it again.....

Old 03-17-2007 | 10:22 AM
|
[QUOTE=Rob_00Lightning]Excellent results (10hp more than I expected)
Is that with the std RPM tune ? Dam impressive if it is ; o ) (are the #'s Uncorrected, STD, or SAE ???)

Those are SAE uncorrected numbers... the corrected numbers are... 395.8RWHP and 502.9 RWTQ

This is NOT the box tune that rpm gave me... this was dynotuned by fuel injection specialties here in San antonio... Their box tune only got me 350RWHP to the wheels... it kinda blew if you asked me.. I was so unimpressed with the pulley when I got it and flashed my pcm with the tune that rpm sent me... Luckily I had the xcalibrator 2 and rpm just e-mailed me the tune when I bought my pulley.. they gave it to me for free anyways... then I went and spent 350 bucks on a good tune...... That tuner nailed it if you ask me... this beast is mean now...

but i think i did a few things backwrds... I now want to do a cAI and a decent exhasut... which might make me need a tweak to my tune... but the tuner will do thiss for me for a price... ha...

Old 03-17-2007 | 10:38 AM
|
Also, They deleted the egr valve in the tune, and that pesky boost bypas cylinoid. and i still never sawy over 11.4 psi in boost.. which i think blows...

Old 03-17-2007 | 11:54 AM
Are you ported and polished as well?? With a L upper and 6lb. lower, P/P SC, plenum and T/B I see 17+ lb.s of boost.

Old 03-23-2007 | 11:27 PM
|
my goal is to hit 450RWHP... can this be done safely? on stock internals with no worries at all with a good safe tune?

I just recently removed my cats, and put 2 magnaflo hi-flow cats in... and added a AEM cold air intake.

will adding a good throttle body be really worth it? or should i jst get a decent upper pulley? and if so, what size should i get? my last tune, I was at 11.3 psi, if i put on a different upper pulley, will that that sound get worse? and how much more boost will I see? is 14-15 psi safe? on stock internals?

is my stock s/c capable of handling the 4lb lower, and 2.75 upper with no problems?

liek I said.. I am wanting 450RWHP, and hopefully hit upper 11's.. I am going to the track next Friday night... so I have a week to prepare... I got friends coming so i need to impress... HA...

my future mods will be e-fans, and traction bars...
Thinking about either an good upper, and or a TB? whats your all opinions?

And what will my stock fuel system max out at?

Last edited by cklepinger; 03-23-2007 at 11:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Installed New Pulley....