Lightning

Lightning Brake Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007 | 10:13 AM
|
Lightning Brake Help!

Ok, I'm gettin a new built short block on my L and I know its going to be running somewhere a little north of 500rwhp and Im scared because you know how sad our little 12.8" brakes are. I already have crossdrilled rotors on the front but don't know of the pads and the stopping is decent, but not good enough for 500+hp. I was looking possibly to put new crossdrilled/slotted units on the front with the same setup on the rear. Im a newbie L owner so I would like feedback on what do you guys think are the best pads to put on that would provide a nice compromise btw a big brake upgrage (don't have money for that right now) and the new crossdrilled and slotted discs with good pads? Where could I get the pads? What about upgrading the brake lines? Big diffrence? Thanks for the help before hand!

Old 03-16-2007 | 11:28 AM
Let me introduce you to your new best friend: The "search" feature above. Do a title-only search for "brakes," "rotors," "lines," or whatever.

Rotors will not help your single-stop distances.

Cross-drilling and slotting will not help your single-stop distances.

Stainless lines will not help your single-stop distances. They will just improve pedal feel a tiny bit.

If your current setup can engage the ABS, then the tires are your limiting factor. Brakes don't stop the car; tires do. Think about that for a minute and it makes sense. BBKs are not about improving single-stop distances, they are about resisting fade from repeated stops by managing the heat better.

For good street pads, many here recommend the Hawk HPS.

For a rotor/pad package, check out RUSlow's forum at nloc.net.

Last edited by Tim Skelton; 03-16-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-16-2007 | 01:04 PM
Tim got everything just about covered there, and I will second the suggested Hawk HPS pads, and Ruslow rotors. I used them and was totally satisifed with them.

Quick Reply: Lightning Brake Help!