Lightning

Dead Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007 | 02:46 AM
|
Dead Starter?

So after a day of work I headed to my truck to head for home. I jump in, place my key in the ignition and turn...."CLICK"....nothing else. About a month or so ago my starter would start slowly and I took note, but the problem went away. I've had nothing but great starts as of late and saw no reason to look any further. Does anyone have any clue what could be wrong?

The battery is great from what I can tell, my lights aren't even the slightest bit dim, everything has full power even while I try to turn the truck over. This "CLICK" is going to haunt me all night.

Please help me fellow L buddies. Thanks.

Old 03-17-2007 | 10:41 AM
First, i would try to jump it, most of the time you hear the click it is trying to turn it just doesn't have the juice. The battery is the most likely thing to go. Good luck

Is it the original battery?

Old 03-18-2007 | 03:49 AM
|
It is the original battery.

Old 03-18-2007 | 04:50 AM
Your starter relay may have gone down.
It's under that plastic cover located near the battery on the firewall.

Link it across and see if the engine turns over.
Make sure the key is out and trans in park first.

If still not turning and your sure the battery is ok get under your truck and inspect the connections to the starter.

If all seems ok you may have to pull out the starter, it's no big deal.
Decent tools and some care will remove it.

Good luck let us know how you get on

Old 03-18-2007 | 10:27 PM
|
Sure enough my starter is arching when I try to turn it over. I'm heading out to get a new one tomorrow. Let's see if it fixes the problem.

Old 03-19-2007 | 03:10 PM
|
I went to take the starter off today and found that the 12V power cable has a broken connector right at the base of where the connector attaches to the cable. UGH!!! Will Ford fix this under my warranty? It looks like they didn't leave enough slack so the cable was constantly under a bit of tension which might be why it broke. :-(

Old 03-19-2007 | 06:20 PM
Same thing happened to my 02 L. I was able to fish the wires out through the wheel well with the tire off. Cut the black wire loom back and you'll have enough wire to get a clean area stripped and put a new lug on. The wire harness is routed through a couple of bendable holders. Just bend them and bring the harness out the wheel well. You'll need a big set of crimpers. You cannot buy the lug from ford with the lock tabs, just use a goo lug and some heat shrink.
Shef

Quick Reply: Dead Starter?