Lightning

KB vs Eaton

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KB vs Eaton

I was just reading more abou the kb. But for the amount of money it seems like I could do more things to my truck than just a bolt on KB. Dont get me wrong the KB is worth it but, to me I would rather put that money towards many different items. Any thoughts? Also I read that chaning the eaton pulley is a bear and sometimes you can do damage to it by changing it any one had this problem before. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by RidiculousRed
I was just reading more abou the kb. But for the amount of money it seems like I could do more things to my truck than just a bolt on KB. Dont get me wrong the KB is worth it but, to me I would rather put that money towards many different items. Any thoughts? Also I read that chaning the eaton pulley is a bear and sometimes you can do damage to it by changing it any one had this problem before. Thanks.
Am I safe in assuming that you are bone stock?

The only thing I have done is a lower supercharger lb pulley and a spark plug change... and I am 80 RWHP more than before... I put down 401RWHP 510 RWTQ with that and a tune... on the stock s/c this is one mean bi***. I have not done a CAI, or exhaust or anything else other than the lower pulley and a GOOD tune.. cost me about 800 bucks for all of it.. Oh and I put in a 170 degree t-stat..

Thats my 2 Cents

Old 03-21-2007, 10:33 AM
It all depends what your goals are ???
BUT if I had to do it over again (and was stock) a KB would DEF be my first move. You can get a brand new one for @2300 - 2400 and in the long run THAT IS A LOT CHEAPER

As for the upper pulley there is NO PROB with them, I've changed them on Eatons at least 4 or 5 times and it's cake....

Old 03-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by cklepinger
Am I safe in assuming that you are bone stock?

The only thing I have done is a lower supercharger lb pulley and a spark plug change... and I am 80 RWHP more than before... I put down 401RWHP 510 RWTQ with that and a tune... on the stock s/c this is one mean bi***. I have not done a CAI, or exhaust or anything else other than the lower pulley and a GOOD tune.. cost me about 800 bucks for all of it.. Oh and I put in a 170 degree t-stat..

Thats my 2 Cents

Almost stock just cat-back and CAI. Thats why I am getting info to make sure I do what I think would be the best move for the long run. But thanks for the info.

You know what happens when you assume something......Just make an *** out of U and ME!!

What lb did you change to and have you had it at the track yet

Last edited by RidiculousRed; 03-21-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by Rob_00Lightning
BUT if I had to do it over again (and was stock) a KB would DEF be my first move. You can get a brand new one for @2300 - 2400 and in the long run THAT IS A LOT CHEAPER

As for the upper pulley there is NO PROB with them, I've changed them on Eatons at least 4 or 5 times and it's cake....

Thanks for the help and info.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:40 PM
As long as you have a pulley removal tool.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BUT if I had to do it over again (and was stock) a KB would DEF be my first move. . . .
Rob is right. By the time you start adding up all the questionable little doodads, you would have more money laid out than a KB (or Whipple), but nowhere near the performance gain and safety.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
Rob is right. By the time you start adding up all the questionable little doodads, you would have more money laid out than a KB (or Whipple), but nowhere near the performance gain and safety.

Yes and No. I "think" a good alternative is cams with a ported eaton, 6# lower pulley, MAF and good tune. It all depends on your goals. I don't have a desire to go built. I think 450-500rwhp is more than enough for what I want to do with the truck. But if you run at the track and plan on going built, a twinscrew is the way to go out the box.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Best bang for the buck:

4lb pulley
Tune
FTVB
CAI
75 shot

Old 03-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by St Louis Lightning
Best bang for the buck:

4lb pulley
Tune
FTVB
CAI
75 shot
Only problem I see with this is some people want the power on tap all the time, some are scared of the juice, and some just don't want the hassle of setting it up/refilling bottles etc. But another good alternative for those that don't mind the bottle.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by brahmus
Only problem I see with this is some people want the power on tap all the time, some are scared of the juice, and some just don't want the hassle of setting it up/refilling bottles etc. But another good alternative for those that don't mind the bottle.
I gave them a 4lb pulley for everyday driving.. Ultimate best bang for the buck would be 100 shot no pulley.. Drill holes in the stock airbox and put a K&N in.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Put a 6lber on it NO juice.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:18 PM
Unless you've driven a Whipple or KB truck, you just don't know. I've done it both ways; and, if I had to do over again, I'd not have a second thought about going straight for a KB or a Whipple. There is no comparison.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:48 PM
I had a stock bottom and ran a kb for years w/ 4lb lower and longtubes, The truck went 12.00 @112 all the time..

Old 03-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A twin screw is "safe" boost.

An overdriven Eaton is not.

Quick Reply: KB vs Eaton