Lightning

6lb pulley... MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007 | 09:07 AM
|
6lb pulley... MAF?

If i go with a 6lb lower pulley, and go to tune it... How close will I be to maxing out the maf, and how close will i be to maxing out the stock fuel pump? how big is the stock fuel pump? Also, with a great tune, is it safe to run a 6lb lower? I really don't want to mess with the upper at all... and also am worried about going over the 450RWHP mark... but I don't think the lower 6lber will take it from 400 to 450 will it? I am going to order it today... also... should I get an aux idler pulley to reduce belt slippage? and do i need a new belt when bumping up to the 6 from the 4?

Thanks

my current mods are:
4lb lower
AEM Brute Force CAI
Complete exhaust - Magnaflow hi-flow cats (removed the pre-cats completely)
170 t-stat
Dyno tuned at 401/510

Old 04-02-2007 | 01:02 PM
You're probably getting close to maxing the MAF. If you drive in 50 degree or below temps at WOT you may max it. For a couple hundred bucks is it worth the risk?

You will see more belt slip without an aftermarket idler setup and you'll probably need to go with a different belt size unless you break-off the tab on the belt tensioner.

You're unlikely to see a big hp jump but you'll see some more torque with the 6 with the stock eaton. Even with a ported eaton I don't think you'll see more than 425 rwhp.

Old 04-02-2007 | 01:08 PM
6lb on a stock eaton, I wouldn't try it
6lb on ported eaton, Go For It

check sig for mods and power

Old 04-02-2007 | 01:27 PM
|
Originally Posted by LTNDave
6lb on a stock eaton, I wouldn't try it
6lb on ported eaton, Go For It
why is that exactly?

Old 04-02-2007 | 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by cklepinger
why is that exactly?

when you spin the hell out of a blower you need to get air out. if you port the supercharger your going to let all that air your spining come out faster.

Sorry guy's im off to work. short but sweeet. kind of.

Old 04-02-2007 | 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by cklepinger
why is that exactly?
Welp, the stock eaton looses efficiency at high rpm and generates a lot of heat. High IAT2 temps cause the PCM to pull timing, reducing rwhp. There were lots of people running 6 lb. lowers before blower porting was offered so you don't need to port the blower but you will see more rwhp gains if you do because of increased efficiency and lower IAT2 temps.

Old 04-02-2007 | 03:15 PM
cklepinger in your other post you said you may be hearing detonation, based on what you described you might be. Be careful "VERY CAREFUL" we can not stress enough how frigging easy it is to lose a L motor to Detonation.

As for your answer yes you can go 6lbs with the stock Maf but you also need a good Lightning Tuner to Dyno Tune it. You also need to know exactly how close you are to maxing out the fuel system, (only the tuner can tell you if your running out of Fuel or Maf at WOT on the Dyno), AND you need to make sure your not Detonating already (cause it'll get worse with more boost)

Each L is a little diff but you should be safe to @450 HP, some have pushed the stock Pump's (you have 2) and Maf to 475 - 500. BUT anything 450 or more I would DEF get a SCT BA 2400 Maf and the Walbro 255 Pump's. Either way I'd change the fuel filter and MAKE SURE you have NO detonation before throwing more Boost at it with no tune change...

Old 04-02-2007 | 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by DirtY_Dave
if you port the supercharger your going to let all that air your spining come out faster.
Sorry im a newbie but, how do you port a stock eaton supercharger? I dont even know what the term really means and is it very expensive and something i can do myself?

Old 04-02-2007 | 03:31 PM
yea you'll max the maf... SCT or a MAFia. im not a big fan of the ports, to many people loosing torque from it

Old 04-02-2007 | 04:19 PM
I can tell you in my case I was at 444HP and was at the end of the line on the OEM maf, it's alot cheaper than a new motor/cheap insurance, spend at few buck to prep for future and be safe now. I'm also not sold on the 6lb lower, what I'd like to know is the gains at the track, period, I think the heat gain offsets the extra few pounds. T

Old 04-02-2007 | 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by JesseSVT
Sorry im a newbie but, how do you port a stock eaton supercharger? I dont even know what the term really means and is it very expensive and something i can do myself?

It cost about $500 or so but it is well worth it IMO.
The best place to get one is from www.stiegemeier.com, give them a call Bob is a great guy and he has a great product and a fast turn around time.

Originally Posted by SRTthis
yea you'll max the maf... SCT or a MAFia. im not a big fan of the ports, to many people loosing torque from it
Get a BA2400 and be done with it and be a whole helluva lot safer, you will lose torque if you don't add more boost (its been my experience) but if you are thinking of going to a 6lber or more I would advise a port- there was a problem with the stage 3 port where some were experiencing losses but most of that was due to a tune error according to Bob, I have one of the first stage 4's and it has been great so far.

Last edited by LTNDave; 04-02-2007 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-03-2007 | 04:45 AM
I have a stage 4 ported blower from steig. I think I lost a little power after it was added. My dyno numbers didn't work out like I wanted. With 14 lbs of boost and 17 degrees of timing I only made 386 rwhp and 450 torque. My motor has 90K miles on it so maybe its giveing up... Those are dynojet numbers with 85 degrees outside and 40% humidity. My mass air is really close to maxing out also. And I need to change my fuel filter. Maybe those hurt me a little...

Old 04-03-2007 | 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by LTNDave
It cost about $500 or so but it is well worth it IMO.
The best place to get one is from www.stiegemeier.com, give them a call Bob is a great guy and he has a great product and a fast turn around time.

Get a BA2400 and be done with it and be a whole helluva lot safer, you will lose torque if you don't add more boost (its been my experience) but if you are thinking of going to a 6lber or more I would advise a port- there was a problem with the stage 3 port where some were experiencing losses but most of that was due to a tune error according to Bob, I have one of the first stage 4's and it has been great so far.

please explain how a BA2400 is safer then a MAFia?

also yea you'll gain more torque is you spin the blower more. hell if i spin my unported more now ill make more torque. im honestly not a huge fan of ports.

Old 04-03-2007 | 11:05 AM
eh

this subject looms over my head.

I have a 2000, dyno tuned by JDM with a 4lb and there was room in the tune for adding a 6lb.

I have all the bolt ons, filter, throttle body, headers/high flows, efan....

4lb with ported eaton i put down 430/530 with a/f no higher than 11.8.

Swapped the pulley and made a few runs down 95 and was running way lean. So i upgraded pumps. The pressure on the guage comes up much quicker then with the stocker but same a/f.

I blamed the MAF maxing out in the cold weather. Went to the track when it was 85 and it did the same thing. So the Maf is just maxed period.

Bought an sct ba2400 maf and sent my sct chip back to jdm to reprogram it. Was there for a couple weeks because they had a problem tuning the sct maf for stock injectors and told me to upgrade the injectors and it would be no problem. Didn't have the cash to do it so i had them send my chip back and sold the SCT.

6lb is still on there, but no where close to any wot passes. I squirreled some cash and talked to Sal and he said he could tune the maf for the stock injectors no problem. Then i had a few financial things come up and there goes my cash, and with a wedding in the fall, there is no extra.

Now I i sit with a truck that i can't even thrash if i wanted to until i swap the pulley back to the 4. Had no problems with that setup . Would run 12.7's all day long.

Guess I'll have to go another season untill I do something about the tuning.

Old 04-03-2007 | 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by SRTthis
please explain how a BA2400 is safer then a MAFia?

also yea you'll gain more torque is you spin the blower more. hell if i spin my unported more now ill make more torque. im honestly not a huge fan of ports.

Not saying one is better than the other, my point was that its safer than the stock MAF.

I run SCT so that is what I run and have experience with.

The point of the port is to increase effiency and lower the air temps when using a larger lower pulley, not really need if your not running a larger lower pulley, or are happy with where you are now.

Last edited by LTNDave; 04-03-2007 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: 6lb pulley... MAF?