Lightning

cobraR VS. lightning

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2000 | 05:08 PM
|
Post cobraR VS. lightning

no I didn't race one but I might buy one. I just picked up my other truck from service and I saw that my dealer still had a Cobra R in back. I asked my salesman how much they wanted to sell it for, and he told me orignally they wanted 80,000 grand for it. He also said that since me and my company has bought so many vehicles from them that they would let me buy it for 70,000. I don't know if I should trade my L in for the cobra or not. I mean, I love my truck but come on there's only 300 of those cars on the streets and I think they just look bada$$. What would any of you guys do with that offer. They said they would give me 28,000 for my L cause I have so much stuff into it already. This really has been pondering in my mind all day. I just don't know what to do. I do think that even 70 is alot of money for a cobra R. I could get a viper for that much. God help me. I wish I could just keep both but money and space doesn't allow that possiblity. Kust curious what some of you guys would do.

------------------
99.5 red lightning
Cervini's ram air hood
billet grilles
clear coreners
clear tail's
A.R.E bed cover
SS street style mirror's
Super chip R9
airaid intake
trans go shift kit
Audio: Kenwood 9015 cd, Kenwood kmd minidisc, Kicker 5x7 impulse, kicker 5.25 resolution, phoenix gold zx450, Phoenix gold zx500, Three JL audio 10w3's, Qform's, custom built box.
Built 5/4/99 A tuesday
# 917 of 4000
Best ET. 13.42 at 100.98
best stock 13.96 at ?

When the green light drops, the bullsh*t stops.

Old 12-01-2000 | 05:13 PM
Talking

Cobra R:

No A/C
No Radio
No sound deadening
You could build one out of a regular cobra for less

But,

incomparable handling
serious collector's item

If it were me, and I had the money, I think I'd do it.

Old 12-01-2000 | 05:55 PM
If you look in Autoweek, there was one advertised for $66,000, and one advertised for $59,995. You might check them out if you are serious. The exclusivity is cool, and all those custom parts, by the factory is even more cool.

If I had the money, I would own one.

JMHO
Rick

Old 12-01-2000 | 06:15 PM
oh, and I'd check on warranty issues. I have heard the R's carry no warranty whatsoever. IE: it breaks, too bad.

Old 12-01-2000 | 06:22 PM
I would keep the lightning. my nearby svt dealer in wayne, nj, wayne ford has a cobra r there. its a gorgeous car, but not worth all that money. no options either? you will miss a radio and air, lol. plus, its so exclusive and so rare, wouldnt u be afraid to park it somewhere? someone might bump into it by accident, or on purpose due to jealousy. if it got one scratch, you would be flipping out! and, its really not that fast in the 1/4 mile for how much it costs. you can definitely make you lightning faster with a couple of mods. by the way, wayne ford told me there looking to get AROUND 65,000, so right off the bat, u know 70,000 isnt such a deal. if your really gonna get it, i think you should be able to get it somewhere in the 50's. yes its rare and yes there were only 300 made, but i doubt anyone is running over there to hand them 70k! lol so the longer it sits there, the better of a deal i think u can get. they wanna move it out, they dont want it hanging around too long. let us all know what you think and what your gonna decide to do. thruthfully, its not that rare, 300 of all the same thing is alot. there were roughly 3200 camaro SS's made in 1997. mine is a red 6 spd with t-tops. i looked it up on camaro-ss.com and found out only 243 were made this way. : )~ so my car is rarer i guess. last thing, if u have that kind of money to play around with, why not a vette z06 for even less money? later all, Mike

Old 12-01-2000 | 06:24 PM
RTKILLA,

If I had tons of money, yes I would buy one and put it away, simply BECAUSE of its exclusivity. But then, if I had tons of money there'd be a Viper, a ZO6 Vette and Ferrari sitting beside it.

The L, in my opinion, is too much fun and practical (can you believe practical, but it is) to give up and go into horrendous debt for a car you're afraid to park.

If I remember correctly, you're 19. If you haven't already, save that money and put it towards an awesome house. That's an investment. Then, when money allows, buy an "R".

------------------
Jim
Black '00
#1,757 of 4,966
Built 3/30/00 (a Thursday!)
Clear corners
J.L. Enhanced R9
J.L. Stage II Ram-Air
FMS oval T/B next
HP booster of my own
G-Tech 13.72 stock

[This message has been edited by gforce (edited 12-01-2000).]

Old 12-01-2000 | 06:40 PM
My father recently bought an R. he paid 60,000 for it, and that was back in september. Dealers are crazy for selling them for 80,000, thats why they're still at the dealer. But if you can afford it, get it!! I raced ours to a 12.8 our second time to the track with it. Bone stock thats pretty good.

------------------
00 lightning - Trans-go shift kit and PA trans pan.
JL chip and ram air on the way soon!
90 mustang- DSS 396 stroker 420 rwhp

Old 12-01-2000 | 07:07 PM
IMHO, if its going to be your daily driver, then forget it...keep the L. I'm not saying put it in storage under a blanket, but it will not be a great daily driver. It's totally stripped inside...fine for what it is, but not something I would want to drive every time I had to go out.

If you want the R and then can afford to get some commuter vehicle, then it might be worth it. Say a nice 4.0 Ranger or something to putz around in...like when its raining or its hot out, or you want to hear some tunes.

It would cost a LOT to build this car out of a regular Mustang GT or Cobra. It might be done, but you'll spend a lot of time at the mercy of a chip-tuner getting it running right and performing the way it should. I guarantee you that you cannot go out and buy the Cobra R EEC-V from FRPP. IMHO, it would be very cost-prohibitive to try and build one out of an existing Mustang, and very frustrating in the end...and I hot-rod all my cars, so I like to turn wrenches.

It would not be my first choice for $65-70k, but it would be a really neat car to own.

------------------
Wes Tarbox
90 LX 5.0 (10.69 @ 134.7)--597rwhp/590rwtq
96 Cobra (12.34 @ 115.8)--392rwhp/433rwtq
99 Lightning (13.20 @ 103.8)--364rwhp/447rwtq
00 Expedition XLT 5.4
http://members.aol.com/Wa2fst/index.html

Old 12-01-2000 | 07:23 PM
Talking

LMAO, they'd let it go for 70k, huh? I'll just bet they would. A dealership here has it stickered and out the door for 54k. LOL, gotta love salesmen. Wonder what price they'd give if your company didn't give'em so much business. My answer would have been, after bustin a gut laughin, HEEELLLLLLLLLL NO!

Old 12-01-2000 | 09:17 PM
Check out the auto magazine Dupont Registry. There always a few Cobra R's in there for 10-15K less. But I'd keep the lightning if I were you.

Old 12-01-2000 | 09:41 PM
Get the Cobra R if you can afford it. Please! There should not even be a debate about this. You can always get another Lightning later on down the road if you really miss it.

Old 12-01-2000 | 10:22 PM
Wink

If you can buy it-do it! I would if I could afford it. I'm only 40 and a contemporary close friend dropped dead 3 weeks ago and the best he could say he ever drived was a Tahoe, you only go around once. Even if you only keep it a short time, go for it.
Kent

------------------
99 White Lightning
#2277, built 6-11-99
52 F2 Street Rod built from scratch-yes by me!

Old 12-01-2000 | 11:33 PM
I thought the same thing too when I saw the Cobra R in a magazine I thought who are they kidding you can get a viper for that much. But months later I was sitting at a light and saw one turn the corner ahead of me and first I thought it was just a regular mustang with a big wing but going down this one lane street he got caught behind a slower car and I got a good look and found out it was a Cobra R. Then he came to a stop at a stop sign and took off not fast enough to smoke the tires but you could really hear the sound of the engine exhaust echo off the trees and the buildings. I followed him for awhile but gave up when we got around the medical center and I lost him in traffic but it did change my mind in wanting one over the viper I have seen 10 or 12 vipers in the past year but only 1 Cobra R.

Old 12-02-2000 | 02:18 AM
Tell them to kiss your A$$!

------------------
Sam Cooper
2000 L White
Superchips R9
Airraid
Stock: 342rwhp/416rwtq
SCC2000L@Flashmail.com

Old 12-02-2000 | 03:13 AM
i wouldnt buy it. personally i dont like them.id keep the L. my dad was going througha midlife crisis or something and needed to feel like a kid again and wanted to buy a new viper but i talked him into getting a fountain boat. just double that $80000 and buy a fountain boat.they are much faster,better looking, and more fun IMO.

Quick Reply: cobraR VS. lightning