Lightning

Tim Skelton - question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007 | 07:15 PM
|
Tim Skelton - question?

Tim I finally getting ready to make a full suspension upgrade, I have a TVS awaiting installation and heres my questions. Before then new parts go in would it be wise to upraged the bushings with Enegry's? Spring isolaters which ones should I use, OEM's, Energy's ect.. and how thick should they be? The new lower control arms you just installed, I believe there Moog's? how have they been so far and were they a bolt in? Thanks for the time Tim, Todd

Old 04-05-2007 | 01:09 AM
Damn. That is a lot of questions. I'll do my best.

If you are going to do urethane bushings, now's the time to do it. Expect 10 hours minimum. I probably spent twice that, but I detailed everything inside and out.

But so far, it seems all worth it. Although, like you, I had to make a bunch of changes at once, between the heim jointed tie rods and the urethane everything, the handling is razor sharp. I'd do it again.

The LCAs are stock with Moog ***** joints pressed in. The UCAs are Moog pieces (the stock upper ball joints are not replaceable, so you have to buy the whole arm).

For the spring isolators, I'm not sure. It depends on what springs Hotchkis is shipping these days. Some say go metal-to-metal, but I'm not big on that. If a little bit of rubber or urethane acts like an initial spring, that's cool with me.

If the end of the coil is flat, I would use some urethane isolators (that's what Hotchkis used to ship). It's all up to you on the thickness. If the end is not flat, the stockers are your only choice.

There is a lot more detail (part #s, etc) on my Web site. Have you checked that out?

Old 04-05-2007 | 03:40 PM
I second the urethane bushings. A lot of work but well worth it while you have it apart.

Old 04-05-2007 | 07:09 PM
|
Tim, Much thanks for your input, I'm going to make the upgrade when I do the suspension it just seems smart. Thanks again, Todd

Old 04-05-2007 | 07:20 PM
todd i just bought a set of energy suspension urathane bushings for my front end only to find out that the bushings for my aftermarket A arms are specially made. So i have a set of bushings for the stock A arms if your interested in them. I bought them from summit and they are brand new and are black, not red. Let me know if your interested. kwilt@nycap.rr.com

Old 04-05-2007 | 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by kwilt
. . . the bushings for my aftermarket A arms are specially made. . . . kwilt@nycap.rr.com
What are your arms, and why are you replacing the bushings?

If they are DJMs, they use standard Prothane (or maybe Energy) parts. The part #s are molded in to the ends of the bushings.

Quick Reply: Tim Skelton - question?