Lightning

Need contact info for Tonneau manufacture

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2000, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need contact info for Tonneau manufacture

I have the stock Tonneau cover on my truck along with the curled up corners. I am thinking it is time to call them and see what they will do for me. I remember reading a post not to long ago that said the company had made a change to the cover to help the curling corners. Anyone else had any luck dealing with the company directly?

Thanks

John

Here is the post I was talking about
https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/007349.html

------------------
93 Teal Cobra #4656
2000 Silver Lightning #4524

Old 12-05-2000, 04:36 PM
John-

I "adjusted" my corners myself. Everyone that has gotten a "new" cover under warranty only has marginally good results.

If you "zip" up the sides only, you'll notice that evrthing look good. Also notice that if you pull the cover towards the end of the bed, that the plastic piece that fits into the tailgate is overlapping the part it fits into by about 1/2". This NEEDS to ocverlap some, so that when it is inserted, it will pull the cover tight. Bieng thast it is approximately 1" long, it bends from the tension placed on the cover when it is in place. You'll notice that the side pieces do not stick out as far when in place. I fixed mine by trimming the entire length about 3/16". Then, I "shaved" the corners an additional 1/8", tapering off to 0" about 18" away from the corner.

I also trimmed the edges of the upolstrey underneath th plastic lip to get things even better.

Here is a pic of the finished corner....

[This message has been edited by LightningDammitt (edited 12-05-2000).]

Old 12-05-2000, 06:52 PM
Thumbs up

I just did LD's mod... it worked very well!!

[This message has been edited by DreaminAboutL (edited 12-05-2000).]

Old 12-05-2000, 08:10 PM
I did the trim job too, worked great. My dealer gave me a new cover too, so now I have a spare.

Old 12-05-2000, 08:19 PM
Ok guys, Will you help me? I have not figured ouy how to release the cover in the rear corners. I assume it has to do with the plastic tabs back there, but I can't get them to release. Please help me out, I don't want to force it and break anything not knowing exactly how it works.
Thanks Brian

------------------
99 red lightning, bassani complete system #1610 of 4000
2001 arctic cat zr440 snopro on the way
2000 super duty v10
Arctic cat 400 4x4
Cobra "R" #131 of 300
www.svtperformance.com

Old 12-05-2000, 08:56 PM
Gary O... please email me: araja@megapathdsl.net

Old 12-05-2000, 11:59 PM
bggroth-

Have you really gone a year without removing the cover? Man! I opened my at the time I picked it up. (Actually the salesman opened it....)

Maybe the colder Minn. air is causing yours to shrink more radically than other areas. May be you could take it to the dealer, and have them open it? That way it's their cost DEFINATELY if it is damaged upon opening.

Once you have opened it once, (or watch someone open it) it's a no brainer...

Old 12-06-2000, 08:41 AM
LightningDammit,
This is on my 2000 L and yes I have not removed it since getting the truck in may. I have tried a couple of times, but like I say above I don't want to break anything. My SVT dealer is 3-1/2 hours away, long drive for somthing this stupid. The truck is parked for the winter and it's not really much of an issue, but it would be nice to figure it out.
Thanks Brian

------------------
2000 super duty v10
Arctic cat 400 4x4
Cobra "R" #131 of 300
www.svtperformance.com

Old 12-06-2000, 06:20 PM
LightningDammtt,
No offense taken, I just presumed you figured the truck is used as a primary vehicle like most are, but mine is just a toy and used accordingly.
My tonneau cover must just be so tight that It can't be released. I have tried everything I can think of, but will try again tonight and if it still won't release I will let you know and ask you to post some pictures.
Thanks for the help, Brian

------------------
2000 super duty v10
Arctic cat 400 4x4
Cobra "R" #131 of 300
www.svtperformance.com

Old 12-07-2000, 12:04 AM
bggroth-

I hope I didn't come off insulting with the original "not opening" tonneau question... I just naturally take apart/open or try out EVERY accessory when I get some new gadget...

I've opened mine two different ways...

1)From the center, pull a handful of the cover back and rotate up. To be a little more detailed...
Grab the cover and the plastic strip and pull back... while doing this, rotate the strip and cover up. It should slide right out. Now you can "unzip" the rest until you get to the corners. The corners are a little tighter... and you must then go around the corner.

2)Staring from the corner, Pull up and back diagonally and rotate up as mentioned in method 1.... but focus on getting the SIDE open first... There seems to be less tension from side to side, so this may start easier for you.

It was more difficult for me when it came time to put it back closed... I tried closing that back first, and had to try again because I didn't center the cover properly... Then I learned that the best way was to close the sides first, which centers the cover... and THEN close the back.

Hope this helps... If not I can post some pics....

Quick Reply: Need contact info for Tonneau manufacture