Lightning

Turbo Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007 | 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Rob_00Lightning
OK
If they're so much better than why isnt "1" Dragster or Funny Car or Pro Stocker using them when we watch the NHRA Big Boys race on Sundays ???............................................
Because they do not allow turbos to be used in those classes!!!!

Last edited by Calightnin; 04-08-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-07-2007 | 03:20 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Calightnin
Because they are not allow turbos to be used in those classes!!!!
Exactly. +1 for turbos.

Anyone who says that turbos are only for the track, that they are less reliable, or don't actually make faster trucks than a SC is simply in denial- either that, or ignorant to the truth. A properly tuned and built turbo motor will be superior to an equivalently built supercharged truck every time.

Turbo lag? Welcome to fast and the furious talk... NOT the real world with a properly built turbo setup.

Old 04-07-2007 | 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
Exactly. +1 for turbos.
... A properly tuned and built turbo motor will be superior to an equivalently built supercharged truck every time.

Last edited by ruger43; 04-07-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-07-2007 | 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
Exactly. +1 for turbos.

Anyone who says that turbos are only for the track, that they are less reliable, or don't actually make faster trucks than a SC is simply in denial- either that, or ignorant to the truth. A properly tuned and built turbo motor will be superior to an equivalently built supercharged truck every time.

Turbo lag? Welcome to fast and the furious talk... NOT the real world with a properly built turbo setup.
Too bad no one has apparently learned how to tune one yet. Lightnings with turbos have been being built for almost three years now. Besides Johhny (whos truck isnt anywhere near its potential because of tuning or tranny issues???) ..............who else on the "list" is running turbos. Seems tuning on turbos is a big issue.

Old 04-07-2007 | 11:08 PM
Not running turbo's in top fuel has a lot more to do with the fuel itself than it does the turbocharger. Those engines will not tollerate an exhaust driven turbine in the way.

Old 04-08-2007 | 07:57 AM
Turbo's are superior all around. Guys that say Turbo's are Not good driving around town are making claims without any proof. My buddy Dave Pickrel has a '93 street Lightning with twin T-60 Turbo's. If you drive it normal it feels almost like a stock truck around town. If he puts the truck to the wood with Race Gas he has seen 10.17 @ 139 mph @ the race track.... Turbo's make BIG Power!!!!

Old 04-08-2007 | 08:54 AM
Ok that explains why the Big Boys @ NHRA dont use them, THANKS

As I said Ralph they've come a long way and prob will pass the SC's someday. But as of right this second it seems to me to make them REALLY PUT IT DOWN (LIKE YOU FOR INSTANCE) Air Jordan over there you still must spool the Turbo up first.

I agree that Turbo Lag seems to now be a thing of the past, and yes they'll drive quite docile on the street but to get them to put down max power you still need to spool them up. To do that it usually means you'll need a Hi RPM Stall Converter which just isnt logical for street use. As a result the many many vehicles that do come off the showroom floor with Turbo's still need to be WOT a while before they wake up and put it down. If you compare the Turbo to SC on that Level imo the SC will always be superior, the power is just absolutely instant with a SC. But hey maybe the Car Makers will figure that one out in time too ???

They've actually had some success in using both, VW's had a TwinCharger (Turbo + Supercharger Motor) available since 2005 in Europe, they releasing it here in 2009. They use the SC for the INSTANT low end power they're known for and then once the RPM's are up there it closes a valve and allows the Turbo to take over (which is already spooled up). Maybe someday that technoligy will be available for an American Car with a V-8, why settle for one WHEN YOU CAN HAVE BOTH

Old 04-08-2007 | 01:17 PM
Us Turbo guys are enjoying racing our trucks making them better and having fun unlike one person that mentions how much horse power he made on the dyno but sold the truck and it's never been raced from what I understand.

Old 04-08-2007 | 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by jarmstro
Us Turbo guys are enjoying racing our trucks making them better and having fun unlike one person that mentions how much horse power he made on the dyno but sold the truck and it's never been raced from what I understand.
What's that supposed to mean?

Old 04-08-2007 | 01:44 PM

Old 04-08-2007 | 03:51 PM
Truck of the Month
this is going good

Old 04-08-2007 | 05:46 PM
[QUOTE=jarmstro]Us Turbo guys are enjoying racing our trucks making them better QUOTE]

I was wondering when you were gonna chime in.

Old 04-08-2007 | 09:50 PM
Turbo setups on these trucks are still very much in their infancy in my opinion.
I went turbo because if you actually do the homework, you'll see that there's an inherent advantage over a SC. Tired of trying to reach the line at the 1/4 before that vette reells you in? There's a lot less chance that will happen with a snail. I'll make more power and should get better mileage. It was a simple decision for me. Like I said, 2007 will most likely be known as "year of the turbo" when it comes to our trucks. There's a lot of people switching right now (myself included), and we'll get those times posted as soon as we can.

Old 04-08-2007 | 11:18 PM
In the few series/classes that allow both blowers and turbos (NMCA, NMRA, NOPI, a few others), turbos appear to dominate every class when raced head-to-head with superchargers.

Old 04-09-2007 | 12:38 AM
Turbo Lag is that split second that the SC'd guys think they are winning.

Quick Reply: Turbo Trucks