Lightning

Turbo Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lightninquick
i agree with you,,,but racing is racing,,,and thats why 99.9% of us have these trucks. it is a exhillerating feeling to line up and win,,,its somewhat of a let down to line up and lose.

we all want our trucks fast,,,some have it fast enough,,and the rest of us are single or have supportive wife's,,,lol

driving on the street is fine and dandy,,,,but once your truck reaches a certain level the street is not a nice place to be playing.

I truly doubt that 99.9% of the Lightnings (even on these boards) own them to race. I doubt it's even 1/3 of that number. Less if you take into account all of the Lightnings produced. Mine puts down 500/600 to the rear wheels, and; it's not enough. (Hehehe...)

A lot of people play with them and make them faster until they are tired or have done all the can, then they move on to the next one. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't an L out there that makes more power than any we hear about on here. Then again... Maybe not.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by Odin's Wrath
I truly doubt that 99.9% of the Lightnings (even on these boards) own them to race. I doubt it's even 1/3 of that number. Less if you take into account all of the Lightnings produced. Mine puts down 500/600 to the rear wheels, and; it's not enough. (Hehehe...)

A lot of people play with them and make them faster until they are tired or have done all the can, then they move on to the next one. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't an L out there that makes more power than any we hear about on here. Then again... Maybe not.
i think almost all lightning owners love to race a bit,,,,,,i agree a much lower percentage actually run at the strip.

it would be cool if there was a higher powered truck that nobody knew about ,,,,,,but,,,i doubt it

ps,,,,,,,sorry if my typing style or lack there off,,,,,,offends anyone

Old 04-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by lightninquick
i think almost all lightning owners love to race a bit,,,,,,i agree a much lower percentage actually run at the strip.

it would be cool if there was a higher powered truck that nobody knew about ,,,,,,but,,,i doubt it

ps,,,,,,,sorry if my typing style or lack there off,,,,,,offends anyone
I do that too....I use periods or comas as a pause in my thinking or typing....I can see how the spelling bee champs don't like it

Old 04-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Funny how those who dont have or really know always start crap threads like this.
My Red Turbo truck is just as Sal descibed it...a nuclear mallet of power and thrust!...and it still is. I broke yet another MB and have let it sit awhile.
I have other things in my life that take priority and I just assume pay it off first before putting more money into it.

If thats not good enough for the masses then oh freakin well worry about your own truck and get over it!

Old 04-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Scott Dunn
I broke yet another MB and have let it sit awhile.

Main Bearing? Ouch..

Old 04-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Monster Box?

Old 04-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Norm
Monster Box?
Correct.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Scott Dunn
Funny how those who dont have or really know always start crap threads like this.
My Red Turbo truck is just as Sal descibed it...a nuclear mallet of power and thrust!...and it still is. I broke yet another MB and have let it sit awhile.
I have other things in my life that take priority and I just assume pay it off first before putting more money into it.

If thats not good enough for the masses then oh freakin well worry about your own truck and get over it!

LOL!!!!!! i understand that its not a very good idea to keep investing dough in something that isnt paid for yet,,,,,,,especially when it keeps breaking the same thing over and over again.

i wonder what its gonna take to run these giant powered turbo trucks down the track fast??? i guess the more important question should be,,,,how much is it gonna cost to get the right type of tranny to bolt up and run

Old 04-13-2007, 12:23 AM
I'm surprised Johnny's twin turbo hasn't been mentioned.
Geeze louise that truck is gorgeous!

Sharpshooter, I copied that link from your response to the "What happened to Johnny.....thread."
I hope that's ok.

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/showthread.php?t=153021

Last edited by ruger43; 04-13-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:55 PM
this is a very nice read,,,,check it out

http://www.automotivearticles.com/Su...charger_.shtml

Old 04-14-2007, 11:16 PM
There are lots of Lightnings running at the local strip. Most are pretty much stock but there are a few with basic bolt-ons. Pulleys, CAI, tune. There is also 2 or 3 running KB blowers and they will haul the mail. One is running a 2.6 and IIRC, navi heads on a built block. Yet another one is running a pair of ported PI heads on a 2004 truck...turbocharged...and it is running 7.80's now at 128 (1000' track...6 flat 1/8 mile) last time I saw it. That is about a second faster than the rest of the pack, which are still running SC's.

I've had both turbo cars and blower cars, including my Lightning. The turbo cars, though some of them not nearly as powerful, were more fun to drive and cranking up the power was as simple as turning a **** and pushing a few buttons on a laptop. At one time I had an '84 SVO that was making close to 400 HP at 26 psi on race fuel, and it was a total blast to drive. Launching a 5 speed at the strip was challenging without bogging it or blowing the tires off, but it was total FUN when boost came on. Also had a '74 Maverick that had a turbo 302 which was by far the fastest street-driven vehicle I've ever driven or rode in and it was only 12 psi and had much, much more in it (ran 20-22 at the strip but never made a full pass with it due to tuning issues and weather not cooperating). Still managed a 1.41 60' time on slicks..that was with a FULL interior, no cage (crazy...I know) and in FULL street trim. Drove it to the track, jetted the carb, changed tires and put in some good gas....and beat on it. Like I said, it never made a full pass but I was TOTALLY surprised by that 60' time. I left at 8 psi at the line and it started popping (lean) just before the 60' and I got out of it. Anyway, make a long story short, a turbo car vs SC'd car is like comparing a 2 stroke motorcross 125cc bike to a 250cc 4 stroke bike. The 2 stroke is lazy down low but when it comes on, hang on...where the 4 stroke is pretty much linear in power output (boring...to me). Why don't dragsters & floppers run turbos? Because the turbo doesn't have the instantaneous response that is required in that type of racing. Besides, IF there was a turbo big enough, it would be outlawed because of a higher power output and HUGE MPH at the big end (400 mph maybe??), turbos add complexity to the system, which is not desirable considering that they need to be able to rebuild one in less than an hour's time, and when the thing packs the pipes and gets up on boost, it would be a bear to tune the chassis to be able to put that much power down at once....where as it is with the SC they "bleed" off power via clutch slippage (among other things) to keep from blowing the tires off.

Not many people know about it, but back in the '80's, sprint cars allowed turbochargers. It didn't take long to go back to regular alcohol injected 410" engines though because response off the corners was lazy but on long straightaways the turbo cars were kicking ***. But back then, they didn't have the technology we do now.

Either way, IMO, I'm am partial to a turbo motor...if for no other reason but for the fun factor. That old SVO....I bet it had less than 100 HP off boost wide open, but when the boost gauge started to rise, hang on. It was by far the most fun car I've ever been in, even though it wasn't anywhere near the fastest. I still loved seeing the look on people's face when I told them that their mustang GT got smoked by a 2.3.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by cookie_monster
blah blah blah

Quick Reply: Turbo Trucks