Lightning

Whose running the Granatelli COP's??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whose running the Granatelli COP's??

Ok so my COP's finally came in. As I was reading everything over I noticed you have to shorten the connector to fit NGK or any other aftermarket plugs. Has anyone else had to do this?? If so once I tap down the end connector will I have to cut off the remaining connector?? It would seem I would have to, but if anyone has ever replaced their COP's with Granatelli's and are also running the NGK TR6 plugs please post pictures or advise on the install.

Again this is my first time ever changing plugs and COPs on the L so any help would be appreciated!

Old 04-09-2007, 08:06 PM
sorry no pics but i'm running the Granitelli's and ngk tr6's making over 760rwhp on them. i never tapped mine down. not sure if you have to now. i thought i read somewhere that they fixed that issue.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:07 PM
The pictures are gone but there's some old info here

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...atelli+install

Some mixed reviews here

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...atelli+install

I believe Josh has them on his truck and explained to me once how you can put them on without cutting anything, hopefully he'll chime in....

Old 04-10-2007, 04:10 PM
i trimmed mine (1/8" i think) when i put them one with tr6's no problems after that

Old 04-10-2007, 04:47 PM
You trimmed the boot?

Old 04-16-2007, 10:30 AM
trimmed the wire, the boot is the same as stock.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:33 PM
I've been using them for almost 2 seasons now. They work great but fit like sh!+. I just run the coil pack screws down until they touch the coil pack and leave them be. I was able to open the gap on my plugs from .028 to .032 and my spark blowout problem ceased to exist after installing them. My 2 cents, the product works but I'll never spend another dime with Granatelli. They're crooks and they don't stand behind their products.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Ok so I got my plugs changed and new COP's on. The COP's do fit like ****...I tapped the connectors down by 3/16" on each one and the fitment was still a little off. I just went with it anyways. Oh and this was my first time changing the plugs myself and it took 7 hrs.!!!! Yeah I know...it can be done in 45 minutes, but you got to have all the tools and know what your doing.

Anyways, the idle is a lot better, but quick question for you guys.....My plugs are gapped at .35...should I decrease that gap any?

I am running a 6# lower and dyno tune with TR6 plugs.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 04-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Are you guys talking Coil Over Plug or Coil Pack ?
The Cops should not need any trimming with Motorcraft plugs.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 01_White_Light
. . . it took 7 hrs.!!!! . . .
I have repeatedly written President Bush asking that he sponsor a bill that would make public the names and home addresses of all of the Ford engineers involved in plug placement decisions, and authorize each registered owner of a Lightning to hunt them down and kick them square in the nuts no more than once per year, or each plug change, whichever comes first.

The word on Capitol Hill is that some Michigan senator keeps stalling the bill. He apparently used to work for Ford.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
I have repeatedly written President Bush asking that he sponsor a bill that would make public the names and home addresses of all of the Ford engineers involved in plug placement decisions, and authorize each registered owner of a Lightning to hunt them down and kick them square in the nuts no more than once per year, or each plug change, whichever comes first.

The word on Capitol Hill is that some Michigan senator keeps stalling the bill. He apparently used to work for Ford.
Tim, Well although I couldn't agree more with you . I do find some flaws in your over all plan, some of these guys are ball less ninnies....

Next we all well be singing the new anthem.. Rice Land, Rice land,,, (Deutschland, Deutschland)

Old 04-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by sysman_rick
Are you guys talking Coil Over Plug or Coil Pack ?
The Cops should not need any trimming with Motorcraft plugs.
Yeah, you don't trim on the Granatelli's either, you just have to tap down the connector a little.

So to answer your question: We are talking about Coil on Plugs, and Motorcraft uses a spring as the connector which will flex/compress to fit the plug. I went with Granatelli so that I could realize a smoother idle in which I did. From what I understand Motorcraft is just fine though, but the idle is a little rougher with the TR6 plugs.

Granatelli COP's use a stiff twisted wire as the connector so the give/compression is a lot less then that of a spring nature.

Quick Reply: Whose running the Granatelli COP's??