Lightning

Lightning engine measurements

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007 | 03:54 PM
|
Question Lightning engine measurements

I need the total weight of a 2002 lightning engine and transmission. I also need the height, bottom of oil pan to top of supercharger, and width, head to head.

Old 04-13-2007 | 12:39 PM
lightning engine measurements

I do not know the exact weight, but it is heavy. That figure is probably in the shop manual. I would guess combined that it is approaching 1000lbs.
The height is 38" from the top of the supercharger to the bottom of the pan. The combined length is 60". It is 30" from the widest part of the engine. Basically valve cover to valve cover at the front. This is a BIG engine. I am putting one in a '48 Ford F1 as we speak; it fills the engine bay and spills out. Just curious what you are trying to do.

Hope this helps

Old 04-13-2007 | 01:55 PM
Hey I'm putting one in a 50' F1, got any pics of the build up thus far?

Old 04-13-2007 | 11:32 PM
48 F! 5.4 install

Yes I do have some photos. I will post some tomorrow. How far have you gotten? Want to swap some notes? I have a few hurdles to get over yet so I would really be interested in how you are doing things. Passive theft prevention on the computer is a real issue still.

My frame mods are all done. The engine/tranny is in; I have installed a Currie 9"; the coolers are in, and I am starting to assemble the front tin so that I can figure out where to put the heat exchnger etc. If you have photos i would like to see them.

Old 04-14-2007 | 08:59 PM
Well the truck was 4link and has the fat man mustang II front already on it. I'm in the process of boxing the frame and making motor/tranny mounts. If you have pictures of those that would be GREAT!! I wasn't concerned with the anti-theft as I plan to incorporate EVERYTHING into the build, Cluster, wiring harness, pcm, and the steering colum with the L key. What issues are you having? What exhaust manifold/headers are you using? I "think" that may be my next issue, and the steering routing.

Old 04-15-2007 | 09:08 AM
|
into

I'm putting mine in a 49 Ford tudor. I need lots of help

Old 04-16-2007 | 04:14 PM
Lightning '48 Ford install measurements

Hi Guys; I am going to try to post some photos here. Let me know if they get thru.

I have installed a 94 Dodge Dakota independent front end. I am using the crosmember from Industrial Chassis in Phoenix,AZ 602.278.6800. Talk to Steve. He makes a really nice tubular motor mount so that you can lose the OEM ones. I am also using his traction bar and cross-member stuff. Really good stuff. Steve is a builder and has done several of these trucks and he is not "stingy" with info; in fact he specializes in Ford pick ups.

I am using a Currie 9+ rearend hanging on TCI paralell springs and Explorer disk kit also from Currie. Really quite inexpensive and I have used them before and they are pretty bullet proof. Also using IC's traction bar. Several of my friends are driving Lightnings and the torque really demands a traction assist.

I had to use a Bitchin Products recessed firewall as the previous owner had butchered the stock one. Glad I installed as you really can use the room especially when you need to get around the back of the supercharger.

I am also trying to keep my install as OEM as possible to keep things simple as this is going to be my driver.

I didn't get the steering column or key so I have to work thru the theft system. I have done earlier varieties but the 2000 and up stuff is really tough. As you probably are aware you need the col, key, transducer, sensor module, and PCM interface from the donor truck. I have built about a doz Ford computer controlled cars and every one gets a little tougher. I am an electronics tech by profession and if you are squimish about wires you sure don't want to start cutting stuff up haphazardly.

What I really need right now is a vacuum diagram as the engine I bought came with all of the harnesses, vacuum system etc in a box with no pics or drawings.

The headers are a big problem. I was trying to use stock but drivers side doesnt fit; hits the upper control arm. I got a set of Bassani's for a 4.6 Cobra and they fit, but you have to change the EGR fitting. Bassani was great. They sent a set of uncoated headers, I changed the fitting; sent the headers back and they coated them for me. They will also install the larger Lightning fitting for you, but I wanted to fit it myself to ensure I didn't have modify the EGR pipe.

I am hanging all of the front tin for a mock up right now as I have start to fit all the coolers, heat exchanger, etc.

I would be glad to help anywhere that I can. I also would welcome info from anyone that has done this install or something similar.

All my buds kept telling me that I shouldn't have a space problem until they saw how huge this engine is.

BTW; I am using the 4R100 tranny and the shifter is a problem. I am trying to modify a Lokar cable floor shift from a GM 350 (same shift pattern) and drive bellcrank to get the right cable direction. Any thoughts?

Well that is my tale; thanks for listening ..............Wayne

Old 04-16-2007 | 04:27 PM
photos

I guess as a newbie they won't let me post photos. Can't seem to get them up there. If you would like send me an email address and I can send what I have; prefer Zipped?
thanks

Old 04-16-2007 | 04:40 PM
Sounds like you are much further than I am, but It almost sounds like your motor is father forward then I currently have mine. I used the stock crossmember from the L and cut it to fit. But I'd like to see yours, may be a better/cleaner option, mine was just free! Brahmus@gmail.com Why don't you just delete the EGR all together? My firewall is also butchered as is the floorboard.

Did you attempt to route steering yet?

There is a guy in TX that moded his L to swap from the column shift to the console. I'll dig him up and try to find a link. You might beable to pick his brain.

Old 04-16-2007 | 04:43 PM
Old 04-16-2007 | 05:11 PM
The engine only as shipped to the plant (missing a few front end components) was 569 pounds. Figure right around 600 total for the complete engine.

Gregg would be the best source for trans/converter weight or you could put that portion on a bathroom scale.

Old 04-17-2007 | 07:23 PM
You dont need to use the anti-theft, column, etc. etc. Just send the processor out to get the stuff you dont need turned off. Get yourself the electrical manuals and go through them to figure out how all the main systems work (i.e. charging, starter, ignition, etc.). It's actually pretty easy once you break it down by system.

I installed an 01 L powertrain into a 32 Ford and used Ford Racing headers made for the 99-up Mustang 4.6L with a few modifications. I couldnt have built anything that fit any better than these do. To solve the steering dilema, we used a Steer Clear by Wizard Fabrication (www.wizardsteerclear.com).

I will try to post a few pics as well.

Last edited by DrTriton; 04-17-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-17-2007 | 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by gearhead32
BTW; I am using the 4R100 tranny and the shifter is a problem. I am trying to modify a Lokar cable floor shift from a GM 350 (same shift pattern) and drive bellcrank to get the right cable direction. Any thoughts?

Well that is my tale; thanks for listening ..............Wayne
I missed your trans question in my first post - I used the 4R100 Lightning trans as well (it was interesting to install through the X-braced frame!) - used a Lokar trans mounted shifter for a C4 Ford trans and custom made my own brackets to mount it as well as to shift it. It works perfect.

Here is an engine photo...

and one of the car...

Last edited by DrTriton; 04-17-2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-17-2007 | 10:49 PM
DrTriton That looks Good!
Lets see pics of the others

Old 04-21-2007 | 07:10 PM
'48 Ford Lightning engine install

DrTriton; Thanks for the pics of the coupe. I also drive a '32 roadster with a EFI 5.0 and a 5 speed. I built it in 1991 and have driven the wheels of it. Fun car. Even though I have put many miles on it I have never painted it; hope to finish my truck this summer, and then maybe, maybe, I will have the time to break it down for paint. Besides the car needs to be refreshed and I also have all the parts gathered to build a 347 CI EFI motor. Looking forward to it.

I realized I can get a tuner to program out the "stuff" I don't want/need but I would like to keep it as stock as possible, but .......... We all know how that can go. I have talked to few tuners and the best price has been in $1000 range. Do you have leads on antone that is not so pricey?

I have a very extensive collection of Ford wiring diagrams and I have figured out how they do things. I also have some engineering contacts at Ford that help some times. As an electronics tech by profession the electrical stuff has never really been a problem.

I am adapting the the GM 350 Lokar CABLE shifter as I can't approach the tranny shift lever from the rear. I must came in from the front to access the shift lever and the digital sensor. I was lead to believe that the Lokar C4 shifter was not available with a cable format; was I lead astray?

Really appreciate your comments and help
Thanks ...............Wayne

Quick Reply: Lightning engine measurements