Lightning

JDM Fuel System Kit. **PICS**

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007 | 10:29 PM
|
Technical Article Contributor

Cool JDM Fuel System Kit. **PICS**

I installed this kit a little while ago but never posted pics for you guys. I just wanted to post these to show anyone that may be debating purchasing this kit what actually comes in it...

It comes with a customized top-hat assembly. The entire thing is different than the stock top-hat. It also came with new Walbro 255lph pumps (GSS340). Each pump has it's own individual SS braided line that connects to (2) fittings at the top. As you can see there are (3) fittings on the top-hat. (2) are for the feed lines and the other one is for the return line. All I had to do was strip all of the wiring off the old assembly and transfer it to the new one. I bought a new gasket from Ford too, but I don't even like thinking about how much they charged me for it...

It also came with the stainless steel braided lines that already had the fittings attached. There were (2) short 6AN lines that were the feed lines from the top-hat to the filter. Then there was (1) long 6AN line that went from the filter to the feed port of the fuel rails. Then there was (1) really long 6AN line that went from the return port of the fuel rails all the way back to the tank.

It also came with (3) NPT / 6AN fittings for the filter and a plug that also went on the filter. The Mallory filter that came with the kit has (4) ports on it. (2) on the inlet side and (2) on the outlet side. The plug goes in one of the outlet ports. The filter was mounted to the bracket the wrong way, but an allen wrench and about two minutes fixed that. It looked like it was set-up to be used on the passenger side. I did have to drill (4) holes in the frame and provide my own bolts and nuts to mount the filter. Maybe that's something they could start throwing in these kits...

It also came with the quick connect fittings for the fuel rails. The return port fitting was kind of defective and didn't fit right, but Jim III sent me another one the very next day and it fit perfect. Big thanks to Jim III. This kit also came with some hose clamps that adapt to the factory fuel line brackets. There's (3) of these brackets that need to be modified. One is just forward of the fuel filter, another one is on the rear of the transmission, and the third one is at the front of the transmission. The first two were easy enough. I just pulled them out, did a little work on them with a cutting wheel and a drill and they were good to go. The third one is impossible to get to unless the transmission is dropped or the engine is out. So the lines did not get attached to that bracket. I just secured them the best I could with tie-wraps in the engine bay and on top of the transmission, which did the job.

That's about it for this kit. All and all I am pretty satisfied with this kit. Nothing against JDM, but I think it's a little too expensive. Also, the instructions leave a little to be desired, but they were okay as this was a pretty straight forward job.

The only thing I will be changing is the filter set-up. There's nothing wrong with it at all, I just want to go a different route. Tomorrow I will be installing an Aeromotive Y-Block and one of their 10 micron filters. I'm going to use (2) AN-8 ORB / AN-6 Male Flare Reducer Fittings for the two ports of the Y-Block. That way I can attach the (2) 6AN lines from the tank to the Y-Block. I'm going to mount that where the Mallory filter is now. Then I'm going to us (1) AN-10 ORB / 8-AN Male Flare Reducer Fitting for the single port of the Y-Block. Then use a AN-8 90 degree Hose End and run some 8AN SS braided hose to the filter that's going to be mounted to a beam under the bed. From there I'm going to adapt the hose to the filter using a AN-8 Straight Hose End and a AN-10 ORB / AN-8 Male Flare Reducer Fitting. The filter I'm going to use will be the Aeromotive # 12301 and will be secured with the Billet Filter Bracket # 12305. Then I'll use a AN-10 ORB / AN-6 Male Flare Reducer Fitting and a AN-6 90 degree Hose End to adapt back to the 6AN feed line that goes to the engine.

This should be a pretty clean looking set-up and I'll remember to bring my camera tomorrow so I can post some pics when I'm done.

Old 04-13-2007 | 04:46 AM
Damb. You know you got a bad truck when you have 255lph pumps in that beach.! Looks like butter to instal to .!

Old 04-13-2007 | 10:10 AM
|

Originally Posted by DirtY_Dave
Damb. You know you got a bad truck when you have 255lph pumps in that beach.! Looks like butter to instal to .!
Actually 255lph fuel pumps are a pretty common upgrade for Lightnings...

Old 04-13-2007 | 10:18 AM
great post man!!!

Old 04-14-2007 | 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by SWThomas
Actually 255lph fuel pumps are a pretty common upgrade for Lightnings...

I agree. I was just say you "know" you makeing some power when you have to change the pumps! Hows it runing .?

Old 04-14-2007 | 10:37 AM
|

Originally Posted by DirtY_Dave
I agree. I was just say you "know" you makeing some power when you have to change the pumps! Hows it runing .?
It runs great. I'm actually waiting to have a problem with it because I haven't had any since the rebuild.

Old 04-14-2007 | 11:50 AM
That looks like a great setup. Do you know if they sell just that hat assembly alone? How did the braided hoses attatch to the plastic outlets of the pumps?

You sound like me, if you always expect and anticipate problems then they're never a surprise.

Old 04-14-2007 | 03:30 PM
|

Originally Posted by Incogneto
That looks like a great setup. Do you know if they sell just that hat assembly alone? How did the braided hoses attatch to the plastic outlets of the pumps?

You sound like me, if you always expect and anticipate problems then they're never a surprise.
They do sell the hat assembly by itself. The hoses are attached to the pumps with factory style clamps.

Old 04-14-2007 | 03:43 PM
SW, Are the Warblos that come with this kit the same as the drop ins JDM sells as the new lines and adaptor plate with the adjustable regulator you put in would make a nice upgrade.

Old 04-14-2007 | 05:08 PM
|

Originally Posted by todd abbott
SW, Are the Warblos that come with this kit the same as the drop ins JDM sells as the new lines and adaptor plate with the adjustable regulator you put in would make a nice upgrade.
I'm pretty sure they are. I'm not sure what JDM sells as the drop-in's. The Walbros that came with this kit are the GSS340's. According to Walbro they are High Pressure pumps with a large center opening. I would imagine JDM sells the same pumps as their drop-in ones.

Old 04-15-2007 | 02:08 AM
Sweet bro!!

Old 04-15-2007 | 09:35 AM
Very nice
I do believe I have the identical set up in mine, THANKS FOR THE PIC'S

Hey help a Brother out, where would one get a spare Spin Off Fuel Filter like that ?
And are they all the same ?

Old 04-15-2007 | 10:33 AM
|

Originally Posted by Rob_00Lightning
Very nice
I do believe I have the identical set up in mine, THANKS FOR THE PIC'S

Hey help a Brother out, where would one get a spare Spin Off Fuel Filter like that ?
And are they all the same ?
Summit or Jegs. They're not all the same. I believe they have different micron ratings.

Quick Reply: JDM Fuel System Kit. **PICS**