Lightning

CALLING BaBOLT

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2000 | 08:38 PM
Talking

I could be wrong but that looks to be mandrel bent tubing to me. With a fair share of post fab and welding.

Signed: Ex Tube Bender....

Old 10-18-2000 | 09:05 PM
|
We will get together next time I am in town. The parts were made from SLA's we recently purchased one for our development work along with a full up vibration lab. You need to work in a business trip to discuss vibe work. The fabrication to date beleive it or not isn't even close to being right at this point. I am just working out the concept while I am waiting for the new motor. The concept turned out to be wonderful! We will have the tubes extrude honed and powder painted to match the stock grey etc. The biggy here was working out the pulley system. Beleive it or not their is not a single mod on this truck that cannot be reversed. No holes or anything extra was the requirement!!! Based on this it takes a lot of thought time to figure things out. I will keep everyone up to date as the project progresses. The power will be huge with very little boost increase. We were also able to get an extra 1/4" stroke out of the motor with the new crank so this thing should be awesome without having to spin the motor much over the stock RPM band which should keep things alive. Whoever wants to be at SWANSONS on monday is more then welcone to watch the explosion!!!!!!!! I won't personally be their but my guys will, ask for TED or WAYNE they will be more then glad to answer any questions. Also where are the Cruisers people that go friday nites here locally, lets talk and meet up sometime. Thanks

Old 10-18-2000 | 09:05 PM
|
We will get together next time I am in town. The parts were made from SLA's we recently purchased one for our development work along with a full up vibration lab. You need to work in a business trip to discuss vibe work. The fabrication to date beleive it or not isn't even close to being right at this point. I am just working out the concept while I am waiting for the new motor. The concept turned out to be wonderful! We will have the tubes extrude honed and powder painted to match the stock grey etc. The biggy here was working out the pulley system. Beleive it or not their is not a single mod on this truck that cannot be reversed. No holes or anything extra was the requirement!!! Based on this it takes a lot of thought time to figure things out. I will keep everyone up to date as the project progresses. The power will be huge with very little boost increase. We were also able to get an extra 1/4" stroke out of the motor with the new crank so this thing should be awesome without having to spin the motor much over the stock RPM band which should keep things alive. Whoever wants to be at SWANSONS on monday is more then welcone to watch the explosion!!!!!!!! I won't personally be their but my guys will, ask for TED or WAYNE they will be more then glad to answer any questions. Also where are the Cruisers people that go friday nites here locally, lets talk and meet up sometime. Thanks

Old 10-19-2000 | 12:30 AM
Hey 38 Top Gun, what's up? I saw you getting a pre-install dyno at Paxton over the summer! I was helping out my neighbor (Dave Adams) with the move to the new factory, and I wanted to go shoot the sh*t with you about your Lightning, but thought I shouldn't interrupt
Congrats on the awesome job!

------------------
Ando, '00 Mercedes CLK430 Coupe

[This message has been edited by Ando (edited 10-19-2000).]

Old 10-19-2000 | 12:37 AM
Hey Chet, VERY NICE!!!! I understand you work at “D”? I’m over here at Honeywell (formally AlliedSignal Aerospace).

I assume those are one-off castings as they fit perfectly. Were the castings rapid prototypes (stereo-lith) from solid models? Your attention to detail is fabulous!

I do have a technical question/clarification? Both blowers are positive displacement pumps. Your current configuration may yield 14psig to the intercooler, but to be clear, the pressure ratios multiply (not add). I don’t think you have provided enough information from your posts on how you got 10psi and 4 psi, but let me try it this way. You have modified your Eaton pulley to get ‘4psi’, which equates to a pressure ratio (PR) of approximately 1.27. It would have been easy to size (calculate) the pulley since we already have a data point of pulley ratio to PR. And then the NOVI has been ‘pulleyed’ to put out ‘10psi’, which equates to a PR of approximately 1.68. Put them in series and now you have a PR of 1.69*1.27 = 2.14 or 16.8psig. I’m sure this is just semantics but I wanted to make it clear that the pressures don’t just add. Now you have a magnified parabolic boost curve. Great way to get the torque to climb continuously from idle to red line.

So how much boost do you plan to use?

------------------
Joel.......
99.5 White Lightning,
SVT # 0056

Old 10-19-2000 | 07:57 PM
Suspended For Rules Violations
Thumbs up

38 Top Gun, will you be going to cruisers this Friday?? I haven't been there in a while. If you decide to go, please e-mail me so we can meet up. Snakeyez60@aol.com.

-Marcus.

p.s. FORDSALES, Alphadoggy, etc (people who are close to Northridge), you should join in, and make a big Lightning show.

Old 10-20-2000 | 12:08 AM
Whate exactley is all that in http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/bi...a/Dscn0030.jpg

Sorry im a newbie i guess

Old 10-20-2000 | 12:15 AM
Wink

That is the skeleton of a "megabuckasauris"

Old 10-21-2000 | 01:41 AM
Question

Marcus, tell me more about the Cruiser's deal. I know I missed it this week. I was busy running around all day, getting my c.f. shaft and active suspension installed, and tonight i went to our local, rinkydink car show in Ventura. I've been under the weather so i don't think a trip to the valley was in the cards, anyway, but i would be interest in future meets. where is this place and how often do they get together?

Old 10-21-2000 | 05:15 AM
Suspended For Rules Violations
Cruisers is a Car Wash spot out here, set to like 50's time. Every friday night, there is a get together of all sorts of cars, i.e. Vipers, 70's Chevelles, Camaros, Mustangs of various years, and so on. Everybody bascially drives there, parks, pops their hood, and shoots the ***** with people passing by. I haven't been in a couple of weeks, but I'm know it goes on every Friday night starting usually around 8-8:30 pm (usually when things pick up).

-Marcus.

p.s. if you are interested, my E-Mail is listed in my previous post. We can organize it, so whoever is interested all shows up at around the same time.

Old 10-21-2000 | 08:03 AM
Rest In Peace
From: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
This is the reason why I used to read all the posts, regardless of the title.

I thought it was going to be one of those 'shoot me an email' thread, and respect their privacy... Caught me off-guard. Had that sleeper effect.

Damn, thats really impressive. What else is there to say? And I thought my straight pipes mod was cool...

Old 10-21-2000 | 11:39 AM
I have a hard time believing this type of set up would work very efficiently. The paxton may compress the air some making it densier,but it is still dead-heading against the compresser in the eaton. It would seem to me that regardless of how hard your spinning the Paxton, the eaton will only spin to a certain level and thus be the limiting factor. It would also place a tremendous load on the Eaton. I admit I don't know much about placing S/C's in series,but it doesn't sound like it would work very well considering the fact that your using a roots with a centrifigal. Can you elaborate on how it works?
Tom

Old 10-21-2000 | 02:55 PM
|
ONEBADDAKOTA, the equation for compressable fluids has been around for 100 years. I'm sure your familiar with a turbine engine on that Southwest flight you have taken? The two stage supercharger is nothing more then turbine engine blades in series. The equation that a previous post provided is dead nuts and only involves pressure ratio calculations. The roots type blower provides a flat boost curve not really effected by engine RPM, the centrifufal provides a boost curve that is directly proportional to the engine RPM. The difference is in the blower vane design. The idea which we have succeded in doing was to change the boost curve so that we were able to get the flat torque curve associated with the roots type and the top end boost curve with the centrifugal. I will post the dyno run next week of the stock curve versus the new curve and it will be self explanatory. The negative is the potential higher inlet temperatures and the parasitic losses associated with turning two blowers I.E(the horsepower required to turn the blowers) Ideally you would use a blower and turbocharger in a perfect world! We will be adding a significant amount of additional intercooling capacity to reduce inlet temperatures. We are looking at using freon or equivalent. As always the proof will be in the actual performance and besides it's a fun project to talk to everyone about. Hope this helps.

Old 10-21-2000 | 03:06 PM
|
FORDSALES. you are more then welcome to go down and watch the explosion. 9:00 A.M. at SWANSONS. They will be installing some other goodies which may take a little time before tune. The idea is to set it up very soft until the new motor is completed. I really would like to continue driving the truck daily and not blow it up just yet? For you cruiser people I'm in lets coordinate a friday nite to get together. My work place is right around the corner. We can meet their for a little simulator racing before we go over. I have a new toy that you guys would be very interested in playing with!!!!

Old 10-21-2000 | 04:31 PM
Question

um, I hate to ask ??'s like this, but if you dont mind me asking (I'm sure others are wondering the same thing) but how much is this costing you???

Man, that is just monsterous!!! Imagine opening that thing up @ the drags to cool off. You'd have to have guards posted around the truck to shoo people away from stareing at it with their jaws hanging on the ground (like mine did when I saw the pic).

Quick Reply: CALLING BaBOLT