Lightning

CALLING BaBOLT

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2000 | 10:36 PM
Wink

The best thing about a Novi is the xtra cfm it puts out at the same or lower psi than the Eaton. rev it up and it finishes each gear like you wouldn't believe. what i'm looking for in a blower is volume (cfm), not PSI (heat). you seem to have the best of both worlds, with the turned down eaton to get you off the line, and the novi taking over when you are in the power band. since i have both blowers too, i still believe the novi only installed on the gen2 lightning, could take the eaton only in the 1/4, if they were both at the same psi. of course the eaton would still be more fun to cause havoc on the streets.
BTW sweet setup, i wish i had your plumbing connections,the Novi looks like the least costly part of the whole deal

Old 10-24-2000 | 07:48 PM
Cool

OK. This is too cool. But, I am really looking forward to hearing more about the intercooling using the A/C. I am seting up a custom air to air intercooler on my truck, but I wouldlike to get some feedback on using the A/C for cooling. Please, if anyone knows of a web page or a good book, please let me know. Or, if anyone would like to help out a felloew hot rodder, please send me an e-mail so I can ask you about it. BaBolt??? 38 Top Gun?? Anyone. Thanks.. Chris

Old 10-24-2000 | 09:06 PM
|
I will take the help also. I am currently working with SPEARCO and PFM a boat intercooler mfg with freon or whatever that other stuff is called. We are searching for the right answer as we speak. I think BAbolt by far has the best head start to date. We are speaking on a routine basis and comparing notes. With these types of problem statements their are usually more then one right answer. I will forward my progress and please anyone else let errr rip!!!

Old 10-24-2000 | 09:15 PM
Question

Top Gun, since you have aircraft blower experience, have you given thought to the water/alcohol spray as an intercooler? i know it retards timing and power, but it works wonderfully at high boost on my novi and allows you to crank up the boost without the loss you get with a conventional intercooler.

Old 10-24-2000 | 10:16 PM
HORSEPOWER 413.6 and TORQUE a WHOPPING 546.8 at 5500 RPM. The big torque numbers are coming from the centrifugal which keeps PUFFING all the way up!!!
I'm puzzled...
If peak torque is 546.8 @5500 rpm, then max hp is not 413.6...

Hp = Tq (ft-lbs) * N (rpm)/5252
Hp (@5500 rpm) = 546.8 * 5500/5252 = 572 hp
572 >> 413.6

Am I missing anything???

Old 10-24-2000 | 10:39 PM
Talking

Just a few thoughts. The intercooler design that works the best with water is not necessarily the best to use with a gas. You also have to worry about failure mode. Are you will to sacrifice you motor in the event of an intercooler failure if gas pressure is too high and you rupture the intercooler. Another thought if you use water injection to control detonation when is enough, enough. As we all know the air relative to temperature can only hold a certain amount of water (humidity). If we do not take this factor into account when we inject water into the intake system how do we know that we have not hindered the performance.

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 10-24-2000 | 11:22 PM
Wink

Hey Steve,
Are you missing something, Yes, we all are. We need to see the dyno plot. What would give to have your torque peak at 5500?

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 10-25-2000 | 12:20 AM
|
Boy do I have to get detailed! I will post the actual plot.The maximum torque is developed around 4000 RPM and then remains somewhat flat after that!!!!!!!! Stock is what about 360hp at around 440 torque. What a rough crowd. The hp numbers will come up a bit once we can tune the fuel mixture with the new MAF. At the end of the day I guess the proof is in how it gets down the road no matter what the numbers are. Next time I will be more precise for you calculator type out their!!!!!!

Old 10-30-2000 | 09:58 PM
|
It's back to the DYNO with the other mods in place! This dyno run will be at Paxton for a second look. The general thoughts are that the tune is so conservative at this point that we need to work on a bunch. Food for thought is that the stock motor is supplied with platinum plugs which is evidently a no "BUENO". Any comments on this one! NGK's are to be installed. The new mods include MAF,fuel pump,cold air intake,spark plugs. Next round will include intercooler. I'm off to the SEMA to develop a new wish list!!!!

Old 11-09-2000 | 04:16 PM
This thread needs to get renamed!

So, 38 Top Gun, what's the latest. Any progress to report? How was SEMA?

Would a turbo (or better yet 2) in front of the Eaton work that much differently? Doesn’t a centrifugal blower have the same lag waiting for RPMs to build as a turbocharger? Wouldn’t parasitic drag be reduced or eliminated? You could have a low inertia (quick to spool up) turbo on one side and a high volume/inertia turbo on the other to take over after launch.

Old 11-30-2000 | 02:25 PM
Wow. was surfing the net today and found this:

top gun, I bet you've seen this before. Any more word on your 'cooler research?

Old 12-01-2000 | 07:35 PM
Thumbs up

38 Top Gun...please repost the photos...

Old 12-03-2000 | 02:12 PM
|
Go to post "more air and boost". These are the latest photos.

Old 12-03-2000 | 05:03 PM
|
Nathan, the motor photo is a twin blown boat application,NICE!!! The intercooler work is going nicely but not quite done. Believe it or not if you look closely at your photo you will see an intercooler made by SUPERCHILLER for boats. This is who we are working with to complete the L system.We basically are going to replace the stock Ford intercooler radiator and replace it with an air to water heat exchanger. We then are going to add a stock Ford A/C condensor in front of the truck radiator. A simple 3 way solenoid to bypass the A/C from the cabin to the new intercooler and WHALAA super cooled water on demand for the intercooler water supply! I suspect water temp to the intercooler in th 60 degree range which will be big time power out the other end. The parts once again will not require any changes to the truck and will be completely reversible for resale value!!! I will post photos once it is done. Good Day

Old 12-15-2000 | 11:10 AM
PFA
Thumbs up

Hey 38 top gun!
Your truck made the Feb. 2001 5.0 Mustang and SuperFord mag. They have a small picture and a few paragraphs on the conversion (Page 23)!

Quick Reply: CALLING BaBOLT