Lightning

Canopy for the L - anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2000 | 11:15 PM
|
Post Canopy for the L - anyone?

Has anyone tried putting a canopy on the L? If so, what does it look like? I would like to take it camping once in a while and would like to see pics. I know it's heresy, but I would like to be able to get full utility. Are people putting bins in the bed when they go shopping to keep the bags from sliding around? My '99 Ranger Supercab has room behind the seats, but that is gone in the L.

Old 12-14-2000 | 11:33 PM
I've seen a red L with a camper shell. I was traumatized.

Old 12-14-2000 | 11:56 PM
|
Okay, so I am a heretic for even thinking about it. Still have to wonder about the aerodynamics of a streamlined shell and the extra weight on the rear wheels for grab.

Old 12-15-2000 | 08:31 AM
Rest In Peace
From: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Hey I almost got one, and a damn nice looking one. I still might get one, but that would be about a year from now...

I dont care about what it would look, more of a sleeper effect.

Old 12-15-2000 | 08:56 AM
Frans

Ford Sells a Net that stretches across bed that works great for holding small items like grocery sacks. It is shaped like an envelope with ethe opening at the top.

I Just looped it around the Tie downs on the bottom and the Snuglid bolts at the top.
Part Number should be F65Z83550A66AA I paid $33.00

Doug

------------------
Picked up Silver 2000 Lightning 2/28/00!!
1st run 13.9 sec 1/4 !! Best Run 13.43
drbdkb@hotmail.com

My Web Site www.SVTLightnings.com

2000 Lightning, FMS 3.73 gears ( Expensive ), PSP 4 Way Chip ( Retired due to pinging ), PSP Intake, Valentine 1, Snuglid, Bedrug, Lighted Ford Logos, Superchip R9, and 3m Panther Black nickel tint, Clear corners., Boston Acoustics 5x7s and Components, Alpine v12 5 channel Amp and JL Sub.

Old 12-15-2000 | 10:37 AM
Saw a white one at work with the canopy on it and it made me want to vomit. It wasnt even a nice one...it was totally ghetto...looked like it belonged on a beat up 72 dodge...not a lightning. I was going to take a picture and post it...but I never saw it again.

------------------
2000 Red Lightning
95 Saleen S-351 Convertible/Triple Black
97 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

Old 12-15-2000 | 05:47 PM
Frans- you should look into getting an AMP Research bed extender. I bought it because I race motocross and needed more space than our 6 foot beds offer. The nice thing about it is that it flips in when the tailgate is closed, so that you can put things like groceries etc in it, and flips out when the tailgate is down so you can carry lumber etc. I think when I bought it, it was about $250 from my bike shop, but now that Ford is selling all of those awkward looking trucks with 4' beds, you can probably buy it right from a dealer. Also, for another $20 or so they offer mounting brackets for F150's that don't require any drilling.

------------------
Play the game- Don't let the game play you!!!
(((garrett)))
'00 Silver Lightning
'00 KX250
'00 NESC MX Amateur Champ

Old 12-15-2000 | 08:42 PM
|
The bed extender flip-over gate is a great idea. I had seen one on a SportTrac and thought it was cool. That will solve the problem as well. The netting is also a workable idea which will probably be cheaper.

I once saw a very aerodynamic looking canopy on a Brand X truck which stuck in my mind because it would indeed add to the sleeper look. Being a wolf in sheep's clothing will rule!

Thanks all!

Old 12-16-2000 | 08:54 AM
Eric,

We wouldn;t want you to vomit. Yuo might die like one of our drummers...tragic indeed.

and It is VERY difficult to dush vomit for prints...

------------------
Yours truly,

Sir Loin of Beef
Nigel Tufnel

1999 Black Ford Lightning

Marshall Amplifier tonneau cover
Custom Stonehenge mural
Custom Hairspray Nitrous system with in-cab purge.

Old 12-17-2000 | 12:49 AM
Go for it, if you want. Screw the effetes who can't hack a practical cap. If you buy one that fits right, it won't be an abomination.

I like this one best for the flareside. It fits very nicely against the cab, and matches the flare at the front of the bed.

I may show up with one of these some day.

http://www.snugtop.com/p_xv.htm

------------------
Regards,
Gordon

'99 Red Lightning
Johnny Lightning Superchip
Johnny Lighting Ram Air Kit
Century Tonneau
Best 1/4 mi. ET: 13.249 secs

[This message has been edited by BadDog (edited 12-16-2000).]

Quick Reply: Canopy for the L - anyone?