Lightning

lightning or camaro ss?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2000 | 01:19 PM
|
Question lightning or camaro ss?

Should i get a lightning or a camaro ss? I'm gonna post the same at LS1.com. Is the lightning really all that? I mean i'v never driven one or a camaro. I know there both fast.But with all the problems i've seen posted the last few months i'm not shure if i i'm not gonna go with the camaro:-)Try to convince me otherwise.In other words why should i get a lightning instead of a camaro ss? Please reply:-)

Old 12-16-2000 | 01:27 PM
Nothing like having a SUPER CHARGER.. When all your buddies give you that sad look and want to touch it cause they don't have one.. ITS ALL GOOD!! Every time I have opened my hood for anyone.. the first thing they say is.. Can I touch it.. Super Charger Envy.. too cool!! I have lots of buddies with hot rods, but I was the first with a super charger.. I can proudly wear my baseball cap that simply states.. "MR HORSEPOWER"..
Nuff said.

Old 12-16-2000 | 01:29 PM
Oh yeah.. I can haul my dirt bikes too!! My buddy says.. WOW.. My XR has never gone 135MPH before!!

Old 12-16-2000 | 02:17 PM
Cool

because it is more fun beating camaros in a truck then it would be to beat a truck in a camaro.iv'e had two slomaros and a fireturd and the lightning rules when you compare. 00L12.926 107.74

Old 12-16-2000 | 02:18 PM
PFA
Wink

Is there really any question???!

Old 12-16-2000 | 03:39 PM
Talking

I didn't look at, or think about anything else. What's better than being to tow 5000 pounds and haul *** also ? I'm at 6000' altitude and know what I need. It would be pretty shameful to get smoked by a pickup.

-------------
Rick
'01 Red Lightning Ordered 11/30/00

Old 12-16-2000 | 04:03 PM
ECKOsvt,

I'm sick of GM's build quality. My Ford is still very tight. I've had many GM's and it seems that they generally run well, but after a little while the entire vehicle is loose, rattly and falling apart.

The L does have problems, but you know of them because you read this board, and you'll hear about EVERY little glitch it has.

1. Intercooler
2. Front contol arm clunk
3. Piston slap - supposed to be on early ones
4. Driver's seat wearing thru or something
5. The flutter noise at 3k rpms
6. ABS pulsations
7. Rear lenses getting water in them
8. Door cracks
9. Bad catalytic converters rattling
10.Right rear wheel flaking b/c of exhaust
11.Right cylinder head issue, leaking oil
12.Some have had a wiper arm problem

There, that's all I can think of. Not bad, considering hundreds of people have posted here with every little thing. I've only been affected with numbers 2,5, and 6 and you probably won't have them all either.

I see lots of teenagers driving SS's. The L is a little harder to get ahold of. That alone is enough for me. Hard for me to enjoy a high-dollar ride when every young schmuck has one too.

------------------
Jim
Black '00
#1,757 built 3/30/00
Clear corners
J.L. Single program
J.L. Stage II ram-air

Old 12-16-2000 | 04:50 PM
Suspended For Rules Violations
I already have a 99 Camaro. It's a piece of *****. No lie. It's 2 years old, and has been in the shop a total of 2 months (roughly). I thought about buying a 2001 SS Camaro, but then I though, EVERY time I'm out driving my car, I see a mother, a daughter, a sister, a brother a husband or son driving the same car. They are ALL over. I'm sick of it. I just once want to hop into my vehicle, and no expect to see someone else driving the same thing. Also, it was said before, the build quality, I'm literally SCARED to buy another GM product. I don't want another Lemon!

------------------
Black 2001 ordered 10/31/00. As another member said, "Now the wait begins"

Old 12-16-2000 | 05:35 PM
Cool

I bought my L. so I could tow my boat (5500 lbs). Lots more functional than a car, can haul all kinds of stuff. But I had no idea it would be so much fun to drive. If you decide on the L. you should definitely get the '01. There are quite a few significant improvements, especially the intercooler, as well as the gears. Will easily be a 13 second truck out of the box, and shouldn't take very much in the way of mods to get into the 12's. And can't begin to tell you how much fun it is to smoke an L body or 'vette in a 4600 lb. truck. The looks on their faces is worth the price of admission.

------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

'84 Alan Record Carbonio, Aerospoke wheels, Campy brakes.
'00 SVT Lightning, silver, G-tech Pro, JBA headers, 4.10 gears, Swanson chip, Pro-M, NGK plugs, carbon drive shaft, Roadmaster suspension kit
13.39 @ 102.5
2001 Kevlacat 2400, twin 115 Evinrude FICHT, Raytheon VHF, radar, autopilot and GPS chartplotter/fishfinder.

gmvye@pacbell.net

Old 12-16-2000 | 05:48 PM
Also the Lightning holds it's resale value a lot better than the camaro.

------------------
1999 F150 4x4 4.6V8 regcab/shortbed
Oxford White with Wedgewood Blue two tone, with Blue Captains chairs
Bullet Cat Back, Superchip, K&N FIPK Intake.
Centerline Saber rims 17x8" with Firestone GTA 275/60hr-17 tires.
Alpine CDA-7845, ADS P640 Amp, Focal Poly Kevlar seperates.
SILVER 2001 LIGHTNING on order
http://members.tripod.com/donf150/Welcome/id7.html

Old 12-16-2000 | 07:06 PM
Lightbulb

That's a no brainer! For sure you should buy a Camaro SS!!!

Off the top of my head, here are eight reasons:

1) These will be among the last ever built, so they will be collector's items, and so will the parts.

2) It's an elite crowd. It's known that high quality individuals drive Camaros, and insurance rates reflect that.

3) Aggressive styling: more scoops than you would know what to do with.

4) Fabled GM quality and reputation. Handles "Like a Rock!"

5) It's a free license to wear a gold chain around your neck. Chicks dig guys with gold chains who drive flashy Camaros. That's a fact Jack!

6) There's the added bonus of the "SS" acronym, which stands for nothing less than "Super Sport". That's pretty high concept.

7) It's got pop appeal: you can mount a little strobe light on the grille and pretend you're Knight Rider, or paint an angry chicken on the hood and call yourself "The Bandit"! That's versatility, 10-4!

8) There's the secret SS hand signal. Just keep your eyes on the road while performing it with both hands.

Besides, the more vehicles I can lay waste to the better...

Cheers,
Frans

Old 12-16-2000 | 07:33 PM
You could always throw a Vortech on a SS and hit the low 12's high 11's easy... depends on how much money ya wanna spend

I have a fast Dakota, I love racing people who dont know about it, because my truck aint supposed to be fast... whereas the car is, but its all weird like that, if you get the SS in the 11's thats pretty damn fast, get the L in the 12's thats flying...

Tim Berry
97 Dakota CC 318 Auto 4x2
13.50@101.91

Old 12-16-2000 | 08:36 PM
Well, the L is very versatile, but the SS has a lot of potential to be faster. My brother has an SS and he loves it. He hasn't had any problems with it and its gonna be 3 yrs. old in February. We went to the track last week and he ran 13.39 @ 104 BONE STOCK. He's gonna start doin some head work and probably get a hot cam, which will probably put it in high 12z. But, nothing can beat the quickness of a Lightning in a truck. I guess it all boils down to buying an awesome supercharged lookin truck, or an awesome looking muscle car.

Old 12-16-2000 | 09:09 PM
If this is a tough decision, then you should get the SS so you know which side is greener; the L side. If you ask the board members, you will find that the majority had no difficulty in making their decisons. So far I have smoked a fair number of cobras, GTs, and chevys which have served to reinforce my previous decision.

Old 12-16-2000 | 09:51 PM
ECKO... please post a link to your question on LS1.com
Thanks!

Quick Reply: lightning or camaro ss?