Lightning

Question For You Lightning Buffs...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007 | 02:19 PM
|
Question For You Lightning Buffs...

If you had your pick between a 01 Lightning and an 05+ model year Mustang GT, which would be the better platform, and why?

Would any of you even consider toying around with a V6 Stang just to see what could be done?

I like the L, but I don't know beans about it. On the outset, it looks like the L would be cheaper to start off with, but is it more bang for the buck in your opinion?

Thanks.

Old 04-22-2007 | 02:57 PM
i don't have a lightning but have driven my friends one plenty of times, get it over any V6 mustang, the V8 mustang, well the new ones i think are just as fast as the lightning but the one i drove was an automatic, lightnings i think are more bada**, until the mustang gets at least 350 HP

Old 04-22-2007 | 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by 1969Mach
If you had your pick between a 01 Lightning and an 05+ model year Mustang GT, which would be the better platform, and why?

Would any of you even consider toying around with a V6 Stang just to see what could be done?

I like the L, but I don't know beans about it. On the outset, it looks like the L would be cheaper to start off with, but is it more bang for the buck in your opinion?

Thanks.
You ask us on a Lightning board to pick between a mustang and a lightning...what do think our reactions gonna be GET THE LIGHTNING HAHAHA.
The Lightning is very easy to mod if thats your thing. It doesn't take much money to run 12s. I bet the Lightning would hold its value better as well.

Old 04-22-2007 | 04:04 PM
Would you rather have a fast car, or a fast truck? You can use the Lightning as a truck so it's more useful than a car. I love my truck and wouldn't trade it for a Mustang, but that's me..............

Old 04-22-2007 | 05:17 PM
I went through this a while back. I had my mind set on 3 different vehicles. '05 F250 reg cab 4x4 PSD, '05 Mustang GT 5 speed, or a used '03 Lightning. I drove the F250 and GT, then drove the lightning last.

I bought the Lightning.

I needed something that I could play with, yet still be able to use for towing a small ATV trailer (or even put the ATV in the bed), something that was fun to drive and most of all reliable. The Lightning does everything I want it to do. It is and will remain bone stock. Think of a Lightning as a cross between a Mustang GT and a F150. Accelerates and handles like a Mustang but it still has the ability to tow a trailer and throw stuff in the bed just like any other normal truck. In my opinion, the Lightnings were a breed of their own. There really hasn't been anything else out there that can do what the Lightning does....The SRT-10 might be a little faster, but it doesn't handle as well and it's UGLY. The GM SS does a pretty good job but it will not run the 1/4 mile anywhere near what the Lightnings have done bone stock. Of course now we have that 381 HP Tundra to contend with...but rest assured that when I am racing against a Tundra, even if he's out front, I'll bury his *** on a twisty road. Then I'll go home, get my trailer, and pull his hunk of Japanese garbage up on my trailer & haul it to the body shop for him.

Old 04-22-2007 | 09:00 PM

Thanks.
Id get an 03-04 cobra for the same price range and a lot better performance than the new FAT mustangs. Id def go w/ a lightning hands down b/w the two. Just like the 03-04 cobras they are very mod friendly

Old 04-23-2007 | 09:01 PM
Lightning

Thanks.
The lightning would wreck a new GT. Don't waste time with a V6. I've seen some gnarley turbo kits for them but no matter how you look at it...its still a v6 mustang. Which are gay.

Old 04-23-2007 | 09:59 PM
gp
get one of each and put a blower on the mustang.if i had to chose and hadnt had my 99 lightning since new i would buy the mustang.but no way would i buy the mustang now and get rid of my lightning.so now i also have a 06 gt mustang. drive each one and good luck.

Old 04-24-2007 | 08:44 AM

This is how I solved that problem.

The Lightning delivers power instantly and brutaly...Kinda like a big block. It's a unique experience. I love my "L" and can't imagine life without it.
That said...These new "Stangs" are really really nice. They start pulling up high in the rpm band.
Nothing like an American V-8

Old 04-24-2007 | 10:11 PM
stock for stock the lightning will not beat the 05+ mustangs....my truck ran 13.8 stock and my bro 05 GT ran 13.2 or 13.1 stock......but on the other hand i raced some stupid kid ina brand new GT on the street and had half a car on him so i guess it depends on driver

btw....i would take the GT

Old 04-25-2007 | 05:34 PM
The GT my friend has the seats are rock solid, lol, they feel almost like hard plastic. I know comfort-wise, unique-wise, and usability-wise (important if it's going to be your only vehicle) the Lightning owns the GT. The only Mustang I'd own over the Lightning is the Shelby GT500. Supercharger whine baby!

Quick Reply: Question For You Lightning Buffs...