Lightning

MORE AIR AND BOOST

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2000 | 03:54 AM
Rest In Peace
From: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
I was with you until the burning wood and sunny days part, and I have a fireplace; mind of I use that on my next date? That sounded like it can take you places...

Old 12-19-2000 | 04:27 AM
Suspended For Rules Violations
Red face

I was right there with you, up until "When I was in High School", after that, it just went WAYYYYYYY over my head...I gave myself a headache just thinkin' about it. And then, this wood burning in the fire place thing...

All I have to say is, HUH?

-Marcus

------------------
Black 2001 ordered 10/31/00. As another member said, "Now the wait begins"

Old 12-19-2000 | 04:50 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tundra:
I was with you until the burning wood and sunny days part, and I have a fireplace; mind of I use that on my next date? That sounded like it can take you places...</font>
Younger kids like hearing it the most, but if you say it right, it works on chicks too.

The more intelligent women see it as an invitation to a conversation, mainly because they understand the concept of releasing energy which is the ultimate goal of most guys sitting with a girl in front of a fire. With women - it's the conversation. But, like the prior topic, slow controlled heat leads to better combustion. Remember, preignition is not a good thing. Women want to avoid it as much as men do with their Lightnings.

(No offense to some of the women, but if you're a "chick," you're a "chick," just like a pink rose is a pink rose. (Get used to it, most guys can spot a "chick" before you open your mouth). Thus, the frequent low octane dates.)

If you happen to tell the story about the wood to most children, believe it or not, they'll understand the concept that energy cannot be created nor destroyed, just stored in a different manner. Once you've got them thinking, here's a good way to screw them up (I did this to my Godson when he was 5 years old):
We were driving on a freeway one night and off to the side of the road were a few tall steel towers. I asked him if he knew why the towers had blinking red lights on the top. He didn't know so I told him that the lights were there so planes could see the towers at night and they wouldn't run into them. He smiled with the new knowledge and stared at them and the sky as we drove by.
Then asked him "Do you know what towers are for" and he shook his head and said "No." So I told him that that they were there to hold up the lights.

The best part about the remainder of the drive was the confused look on his face because he intuitively knew that there was something wrong with my logic, but he couldn't figure it out.

(BTW, a "chick" would stare at you blankly if you tell her the tower thing. A smart women will playfully slug you in the arm while asking you to make a fire when you get home.)

------------------
Regards,
George
george@spikeengineering.com
http://www.spikeengineering.com
---------
Red 2000 Lightning, #4033
White 1996 Whippet (1/2 mile course, 6 turns: 40 Seconds)
Red Wheaton 1995 Ridgeback (1/2 loaf of bread, 6 bites, 4 seconds)

Old 12-19-2000 | 05:05 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BLackBoLT99:
All I have to say is, HUH?</font>
Intercooler: Good
Cool Intercooler: Better

Water injection: OK
High Octane Fuel: Better

On the side of twinturbo V6, the water injection solution he's talking about is similar to a swamp cooler, or evaporative cooler, that is used as an air conditioner. The water removes stored heat from the air, if the humidity is low enough for the heat exchange to happen. Yet, that energy, in the form of water vapor, enters the combustion chamber. I could go on, but I think Jerry Springer is on soon...

------------------
Regards,
George
---------

Old 12-19-2000 | 05:26 AM
Rest In Peace
From: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Thanks for the clarification, Spike Engineering.

Now I know

Old 12-19-2000 | 10:58 AM
Thumbs up

I run 12psi on a "dodge engine" when using alcohol/water injection, so you ought to be able to run 20 on a Ford. also when your boost gauge shows 10, your getting 7 or 8 to the engine after the cooler, with injection, what you see is what you get. someone try this out and let me know.

Old 12-19-2000 | 03:11 PM
Talking

I would advise going to Http://www.turbobuick.com and go to the forums and check out the Alky tech board.

They are using isopropal/water, denatured alcohol and methanol to control temps and add a wee bit of fuel. Seriously it might not be perfect (but do you consider $7 a gallon race gas to be a good deal?) but it allows you to run on the street the boost you'd run at the track.

The difference has been proven over and over by the guys there. It doesn't kill O2 sensors, it is tuneable, it works. Please, go check it out. You might find that you are really happy you did.

------------------
Ryan
92 RT/TT
Mods- K&N, Accel, UDP, RPSIII, Unorth Alum Flywheel, MSD DIS4, Gutted:MAS/precats, BV@15psi, Testpipe, EGR blocked, Short shifter, battery in trunk, KYB's
Stock- Twin Turbos, Twin Intercoolers, All Wheel Drive, All Wheel Steering

Old 12-19-2000 | 03:49 PM
Suspended For Rules Violations
Talking

Ohhhhh...... Marcus gets concept now. Me thank you. It's the high school football syndrom, too many hard hits to the head. I'm gonna have to try that tower thing on a student of my moms (yes my moms a teacher, go figure)

-Marcus

------------------
Black 2001 ordered 10/31/00. As another member said, "Now the wait begins"

Old 12-19-2000 | 04:54 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TwinTurboRT:
I would advise going to Http://www.turbobuick.com and go to the forums and check out the Alky tech board.</font>
It's a good thread and hopefully, I can experiment with a system and mixtures. If the injection is reliable, I'll be contacting Danny Swanson for a Dyno session to develop a program for this. This could result in a street program that uses an octane and ignition curve somewhere between a street program and race program. Maybe with some more input from the board, a system could be developed for additional street HP.

The denatured alcohol thing works well. I used to make that stuff with a teacher (in an alternate energy class) using chicken manure and/or corn by-products. The smell just before it started to boil off in the stil was, believe it or not, a wonderful perfume smell. We didn't have a molecular sieve, so we were limited to 190 proof.

Thanks for the input!

Marcus: where did you play? I grew up in LA (La Canada) and have a close friend whose wife grew up in and still lives in Chatworth.

------------------
Regards,
George
---------

Old 12-19-2000 | 06:58 PM
Wink

Just to let you guys know if interested we will be comming out very soon with a JL powercooler that will sit where the battery is and relocate the battery under the truck out of the way! it will come with shut off and all the acc. we did dyno with a simialar set up and at full boost the aircharge was 155* after the intercooler! we added ice in the cooler and the temp. at full boost was 95* the outside air temp was 90*. as far as the horsepower gains on the dyno i can't really give any because we were testing new programs with each run so we did make huge gains in power but most was due to the new program also.but we do know with that much cooler temps. that equals much power and safety for our awsome machines! JL

------------------
93 cobra 10.90@127.00
99 lightning (black)
e.t. 12.41 @ 110.8
best mph 110.8
60 ft. 1.79
superchiped
johnnylightning ram air
Level 10 shift kit
SuperChip Dealer!
(Man i love this truck!)

Old 12-19-2000 | 07:16 PM
Wink

A friend of mine has been playing with methanol injection (or I should say methanol in his water injection system) on his turbo buick for several years. I can say for a fact that it works awsome. He can run 20+lbs of boost on pump gas. Just dont let the methanol tank run dry at that boost level,the head gaskets don,t like it :-)
Dale

------------------
Black 00'
13.21 @ 105.24 so far
full weight, stock tires

Old 12-19-2000 | 07:26 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bad as L:
Just dont let the methanol tank run dry at that boost level,the head gaskets don,t like it :-)</font>
I've look at several kits now and one of them has a light that goes on when the tank is at 1/3. With this kit (if the injection is reliable), a modified program to account for the octane "increase," and the intercooler setup, the performance gain could be impressive.

------------------
Regards,
George
---------

Old 12-19-2000 | 10:32 PM
|
The intercooler fix is done. The manufacturer will be coming out with several options or kits next year. My truck will be dynoed and tuned at Swansons tommorrow for comparison purposes. The freon intercooler set up has been on the truck for the past 2 weeks and works perfectly. Very simple mod and good for 30 degree drop in water temperature.We now want to verify if more power is available with the lower temps!!!

Old 12-20-2000 | 12:58 AM
How are the controls for the compressor setup? Is it on a switch, automatic, on by high time but off based on engine load?

How much cooling required (time) before the compressor is shut off?

[This message has been edited by Spike Engineering (edited 12-20-2000).]

Old 12-21-2000 | 06:47 PM
|
The mod is dead simple. All they did was add another cooler which runs the water thru the center and the existing freon around it. One simple T fitting and the turn off/on is your normal A/C switch.You cannot tell that anything is different from stock. Run when you need ****pit A/C or cooler intercooler temps. Really slick!!!!

Quick Reply: MORE AIR AND BOOST