Lightning

My supercharger making funny noise? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007 | 04:42 PM
|
My supercharger making funny noise? Please help

My 2001 ford lightning started to make a funny noise about two days ago, I think it might be supercharger. Now its getting louder and the noise is like a bearing winding, every time I give it gas. Then I notice today that when I punch it the boost gauge reads about 5psi and it used to say 10 psi. I still have the extended warranty. Has anyone have had the same experiance. Will the extended warranty cover if it is the supercharger? Thanks!

Old 04-27-2007 | 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by svtjulian
My 2001 ford lightning started to make a funny noise about two days ago, I think it might be supercharger. Now its getting louder and the noise is like a bearing winding, every time I give it gas. Then I notice today that when I punch it the boost gauge reads about 5psi and it used to say 10 psi. I still have the extended warranty. Has anyone have had the same experiance. Will the extended warranty cover if it is the supercharger? Thanks!
i don't see why the ext. warranty wont cover it, unless you have mods....

Old 04-27-2007 | 06:56 PM
Either way find the problem and fix it right away (even if you have to bring it to Ford) If your only seeing 5lbs floored you got a problem and if your hearing whining and pulley noises it could be anything from the SC to the SC Pulley to any of the Idler Pulleys, to the Tensioner, to the Crank Pulley, or something as simple as a bad belt thats slipping. (wow what a run on sentence hehehehe)

Check your main Belt and make sure it's nice and tight, and then all the pulleys and tensioner, any of those could cause something stupid if it's bad and lets loose and you dont want that...

Good Luck and let us know what you find out

Old 04-28-2007 | 03:55 PM
|
Hey thanks I just check the belt tensioner and everytime I give it gas the the tensioner mover down and the belt moves if I am seeing it from the front. I hope that is it.

Old 04-29-2007 | 12:16 PM
If belt and pulley seem alright, then your problem may be in your S/C snout. Internal bearing and/or coupler may be going. This is common when an upper pulley is installed incorrectly. Either way you need to address it quickly. Steigmier does s/c rebuild work at a very reasonable price. Buddy of mine had the same prob, and had his snout rebuilt there with a very quick turn-around time too.

Old 04-29-2007 | 03:06 PM
|
Yeah I got a new tensioner and belt and that was not the problem. I spinned the pulley by hand and I can feel the bearing and can hear the noise. so hopefully its just that snout. I have not messed with the upper or lower pulley. On Monday 4.30.07 I made an apointment at the dealer let see what they say. thanks

Old 04-29-2007 | 03:09 PM
|
Who is Steigmier?? does he have a web site?

Quick Reply: My supercharger making funny noise? Please help