Lightning

Am i pushing my luck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007 | 07:48 PM
|
Am i pushing my luck?

i just put in new spark plugs with a new upper pulley and 4# under and seeing about 15psi and have a single blade throttle body and a new upper intake with a new cold air. Is this too much boost for a stock supercharger...i've heard rumors of 16-17 psi.

oh its tuned according to the new pulley

Old 04-27-2007 | 08:27 PM
Ah thee ole million dollar question, ask a few people and you'll get a few answers....

Is 15lbs alot of boost for a stock block "YES", but so many other things come into play. What exact pulley combo do you have for starters ??? what is the diameter of the lower pulley, and what is the diameter of the upper pulley. Some vendors 4lb pulleys are a lot bigger than other vendors 4lb pulleys. I use to have 3 diff 8lb pulleys from 3 diff vendors and all of them were diff sizes, (the same thing happens with all lbs). Measure them both and tell us what you have.

Is your screen name true to your Dyno results ??? if it is 462 RWHP is still safe (in my opinion) if it's tuned correctly . Many have pushed it past the 500 RWHP mark and got away with it, I did on Blacky #1 for years, (I ran a 4lb lower and a 2lb upper and ported Eaton and nitrous).
But some werent so lucky...
The Bottom line is anything 450 RWHP or more and YES you are def leaving yourself open to eat a motor if everything isnt right, but if your drive it correctly, and have it tuned correctly theres also no reason you cant get away with it (most of the times)

BTW, what are you using for a gauge ???

Old 04-27-2007 | 08:32 PM
keep a solid tune, don't race in cold weather, and no highway down shifts and you'll limit some of your risks.

Old 04-27-2007 | 08:46 PM
|
Originally Posted by Rob_00Lightning
Ah thee ole million dollar question, ask a few people and you'll get a few answers....

Is 15lbs alot of boost for a stock block "YES", but so many other things come into play. What exact pulley combo do you have for starters ??? what is the diameter of the lower pulley, and what is the diameter of the upper pulley. Some vendors 4lb pulleys are a lot bigger than other vendors 4lb pulleys. I use to have 3 diff 8lb pulleys from 3 diff vendors and all of them were diff sizes, (the same thing happens with all lbs). Measure them both and tell us what you have.

Is your screen name true to your Dyno results ??? if it is 462 RWHP is still safe (in my opinion) if it's tuned correctly . Many have pushed it past the 500 RWHP mark and got away with it, I did on Blacky #1 for years, (I ran a 4lb lower and a 2lb upper and ported Eaton and nitrous).
The Bottom line is anything 450 RWHP or more and YES you are def leaving yourself open to eat a motor if everything isnt right, but if your drive it correctly, and have it tuned correctly theres also no reason you cant get away with it (most of the times)

Autometer...

Old 04-27-2007 | 08:58 PM
|
Originally Posted by Rob_00Lightning

this is the pulley stats
2.75 upper
w/8.50 4lb
i had a really good tune so i think i'm fine...you know your "L"s way better than me...cause i'd rather take a pulley off and swap 4 a stocker than blow a rod or somethin...better safe than sorry

Old 04-30-2007 | 06:24 PM
8-1/2" is a 4lb Lower Pulley and 2.75 is considered @ 2lb (some claim less, some more). So as you say I guess 15lbs is about normal for that set up. Me I love Boost (nothing like it) and you really should be ok with a good tune, however there's no doubt running the stock Upper 2.93 would be safer. You wont lose but a few pony's and @ 10-15 lbs of TQ so it wouldnt effect your power much, (maybe @ 1/10th in ET on the 1320).

Most will say 4lbs is a safe Pulley to run, some even run 6 - 8 lbs on a stock block, but anything 6lbs or more and you are getting into that gray area where something might happen under the wrong conditions....
To be safer I use to run the 4lb lower and then only use the 2lb upper for warm weather and racing only. In the cold NY winter I ALWAYS took the upper off, thats when you stand to hurt the motor (in the colder weather).

Quick Reply: Am i pushing my luck?