Lightning

Where Are The R/T's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2000 | 10:18 AM
|
Gang:

Exactly my point. There are, in all likelihood, more R/T's on the road than Gen 2 Lightnings. Perhaps significantly more. Strangely, these guys are invisible. You can't find one, even if you're looking (and I'm DEFINITELY looking). You would think that a group of owners of "fast, good-looking trucks" (their words, not mine) would be out REPRESENTING. But this isn't the case. I don't know where they are, or what they're doing, but they're not out running with the big dogs, at least in Cincy. Weird.

Manganos:

I accept your claimed times as accurate. You have a heavily-modded R/T that is EXTREMELY fast (for the breed). You are faster than ninety-something percent of the R/T's out there. What are my chances of getting jumped by an R/T as fast as yours on the street or at the strip? Essentially zero. Statistically, I'm going to spank any R/T I happen upon. Absolute whoop-azz. Likewise, even though you have an EXTREMELY fast R/T, you're going to get spanked by at least half of the Gen 2 Lightnings you line up against (essentially any Gen 2 with a chip and filter). Kind of sad, isn't it? You've built the snot out of your ride, your warranty is the stuff of long-forgotten memories, you've stressed every part in your truck to the point of failure, and you're still, at best, mid-pack when you run with the big boys. Don't you (and yours) get it? Brand loyalty is one thing (sad, but real), but utter denial is just pitiful. An R/T is fast for a work truck. You can beat up on pickups, SUV's, minivans, and Camries all day long. A Gen 2 Lightning is fast for a muscle/sports car. We tangle with F-bodies, 'Vettes, Cobras, and even the occasional Viper (reportedly, at least). That's a HUGE difference. These vehicles are not in the same UNIVERSE, let alone "class". I've seen 9-second CIVICS on the TV and in magazines, also. Do I now fear every Japanese econobox that pulls up to me at a light? HELL NO!

Deep breath... Going to happy place now...

Old 12-22-2000 | 10:35 AM
DAmn... I gotta get my sleeper dakota faster than that R/T now... DAMN YOU!! heheheh Congrats man..

Tim Berry
97 Dakota Club Cab, 318, auto, 4x2
13.50@101.91

Old 12-22-2000 | 10:41 AM
Your Chip and Filter are mods... The dont void the warranty??

the ONLY way the warranty is void is if the dealer can prove the aftermarket parts are what caused damage... these 318's and 360's are build damn strong... I'm running 9.1:1 compression ratio with 9# of boost, and a performance computer, and still no pinging..

Mod'd to hell?? Naw, he has headers and a blower as far as I know... not too many mods

Yall down the R/Ts alot, but they can be made to run just as well as the L's, for about the same price, open up and see... yea, its not stock, but it can do it...

I dont know why, but you pissed me off with that last comment Silver-Y2K-SVT, dont do it... or I shall show ya what a NON R/T can do its all about how ya build the truck, if you get beat by a civic, you cant say "He Cheated, its not stock" Its you race what you got... blah blah blah.. i'm bored...

Old 12-22-2000 | 11:03 AM
|
Coolva:

Easy now...

No, a chip and filter DO NOT void a warranty, particularly if the dealer doesn't know. Pretty easy to slap on the factory airbox and pull the chip. I suspect that an aftermarket blower and headers are s-l-i-g-h-t-l-y more difficult, if not impossible to hide. Plus, I don't know whay anyone would want to spend a weekend spinning wrenches to prepare a truck for a routine trip to the dealer. So other than the floormats, I think our friend has flushed his warranty. And from what I've read (Hot Rod magazine, mostly), he's going to be missing that warranty quite badly if he's driving around a low-13-second R/T. Additionally, I suspect he's running a little bit more than "just a blower and headers" to be going that fast. Maybe not big stuff, but a lot of little mods here and there.

Of course an R/T can be made to run with a stock, or even modded Gen 2 Lightning. No dispute. They run deep in the 7's in the NHRA Pro Truck class. There are also 9-second Civics and 12-second Hyundais on the streets of the US, and probably 10-second Ladas somewhere in Uzbekistan, for crying out loud. The point is, there aren't a whole lot of low-13-second R/T's ANYWHERE, and chances are really good I'm not going to run into one in my lifetime. Most any R/T I find is toast. With a few simple bolt-ons, they're ALL toast.

And PLEASE don't get mad. There's nothing discussed on this site that's worth getting angry about.

Old 12-22-2000 | 11:06 AM
See coolva, you get treated much better here then I do when I go to DML (dakota mailing list).you'all got some real clowns over there.

------------------
Ted O, Black 00 "L"
Superchip, K&N

Old 12-22-2000 | 11:10 AM
It took me 4.5 hrs from the time the Fed Ex guy dropped off the package, till I was done with my blower install... I'd expect more like 3-3.5 hrs now...

But since I have a smaller engine, I have a few more mods.. like exhaust (from headers back true duals), electric fan, shift kit, ect...
I could prolly take off the blower in about 2 hrs, (oh man it that easy

Our powerdyne blowers just bolt on where the stock belt tentioner goes... and have a FMU with inline fuel pump.. and thats your $2300 supercharger for Dakotas hehehe

You may be able to beat the R/T's but whatch out for us mod'd SLT's hehehhe :lol

Old 12-22-2000 | 11:12 AM
I agree Ted...

Thats why I enjoy reading and posting here... I can expect to reply w.o having everyone on the list kill me for driving a dakota

Yall L's are nice folks (99.232%) heheh

Old 12-22-2000 | 04:09 PM
Silver-Y2K-SVT
<There are, in all likelihood, more R/T's on the road than Gen 2 Lightnings>
I don't know if this is true or not. When I bought the R/T in '98, they was only 1400+ built. ABout 2000 in '99. Not sure how many in '00, but there could be half the R/T's as compared to the L's.

------------------
2000 Black Lightning, Snuglid
Custom Bed Carpet
Clear Corners, Lightning banner
Tinted Windows, Custom air intake
2" drop, VTech Taillight covers.
NLOC #377
Build Number 1405/4966
DOB 3/21/00
See pics of '00BlackLightning at:
http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4294555843

Old 12-22-2000 | 06:51 PM
You guys come on out to the R/T vs SVT meet in Byron,IL and you can see some.
Tom

Old 12-22-2000 | 11:39 PM
Cool

Soooo Manganos, when we goin to see grandma again ? Just looked at my work schedule and I'll be off when VMP opens in March. Looking forward to seeing everybody again. I still wanna try to get to Kinston sometime.

------------------
Red '00 Lightning,
Power Surge Performance enhanced,
Sound effects provided by Flowmaster,
375 RWHP,
445 RWTQ,
13.227@103.55
Track Videos

[This message has been edited by 4D THNDR (edited 12-22-2000).]

Old 12-23-2000 | 12:00 AM
Ok here it is. I have a Club Cab 2000 Dakota R/T. Mopar Performance Computer, home ported throttle body, MSD 6AL, MSD BTM, Mopar Performance headers, Powerdyne Supercharger with a "new" 7 rib pulley - 9 psi. Thats it ...stock goodyear RSA tires and no traction bars YET. I have trouble hooking up to say the least. 4DTHNDR I ran the truck while I was visiting my grandparents down in Florida Oh and I bring my truck in for the little warranty stuff. They just said if it shows my mods caused a failure of a part its my responsibility. I understand that and they have fixed numerous little problems; brakes, steering clunk, no heat ! So my dealer is cool with it.

Old 12-23-2000 | 12:09 AM
Hey tim whats up?? Long time no see. Yeah I got that damn 6 rib pulley off the SC and put on a fabricated 7 rib, 9psi pulley. Also put on a Goodyear belt. No more belt slip and it pulls pretty damn good! I'll see ya at the track in March~ Watch out I'm faster then you finally~

Old 12-23-2000 | 12:55 AM
I guess that Cam and Intake are gonna HAVE to happen before I get lined up next to ya.. heheh... shoot me an e-mail at coolva@home.com I'd like to chat with ya again...

Old 12-23-2000 | 08:53 AM
Thumbs up

4D THNDR,

Let me know when you are thinking about
coming to Kinston, I live about 12 miles
north of there. I've never ran my truck
on the strip, but would be willing to go
out there with you guys. The drag strip
has been closed the past couple of weekends
I think. I will try to get you some info
ahead of time if you let me know when you
may be coming down.

------------------
2000 White L
PSP Filter,R9
2" Rear Drop
LoPro Cover
Bed Rug
Clear Corners

Old 12-23-2000 | 11:17 AM
Smile

4D THNDR, Where is this kinston? If it's not too far I'll head down their with you. Let me know when your going. Maybe we can get BrianK and Jac. It might be too far for them though.

------------------
99 L
Mobil 1
Shrunken Head
Tires rotated
13.852 @ 99.15

Quick Reply: Where Are The R/T's?