Lightning

MAF sensor,can u change just the sensor ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007 | 04:09 PM
|
MAF sensor,can u change just the sensor ?

Auto parts guy is telling me I have to buy the whole deal , that I can't just replace the sensor itself , is this true ?

He wanted 140 bucks for the whole thing . I don't see what a new round piece of plastic would help , the sensors are made to screw in or out ?

Just thought I'd ask before spending the $$$ , I've seen just the sensors for $ 45 bucks online .

Thanks,

SC.

Old 04-30-2007 | 04:36 PM
It comes as a unit within the housing.

I got a remanufactured from AutoZone a few years back for about $60 after the core charge (gave them my old broken one).

Old 04-30-2007 | 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by 620Hphoss
Auto parts guy is telling me I have to buy the whole deal , that I can't just replace the sensor itself , is this true ?

He wanted 140 bucks for the whole thing . I don't see what a new round piece of plastic would help , the sensors are made to screw in or out ?

Just thought I'd ask before spending the $$$ , I've seen just the sensors for $ 45 bucks online .

Thanks,

SC.
What are you trying to change? If you have a 90mm and the electronics are bad, you could just swap the electronics over since they are the same housing. You can also swap SCT BA2400/2800 electronics over to a Ford 90mm, because they use the same housing.

Keep in mind, that sometimes the screws will pull the nut ferrules out of the housing, so you will risk that.

I have never seen the just the electronics sold seperately, that's a new one to me.

Old 04-30-2007 | 05:42 PM
|
I was going to just pull the sensor out of the maf housing , 2 screws and it just pulls out , some parts place on ebay had them for $45 bucks , but we all know what ebay is worth sometimes !

I replaced the TPS today , cleared the codes and it was a little better , can't you clean the little wires in the maf sensor ? Seems I read that somewhere on here ? I search and see what they were cleaning them with .

It started all this high idle after a few dyno runs with the Nitrous , can the Nitrous mess up the sensor ? I know the Nitrous is shot after the sensor on up the tube .

I don't mind buying a part if thats what bad , seems I end up getting 2 or 3 parts before I get the right one ! I am learning as I'm going , sure miss the old 70 chevelle simplicity

Thanks,

SC

Old 04-30-2007 | 06:34 PM
Yes, you can just clean the little wires in the sensor itself. Use an electrical contact spray. You might have to use a q-tip as well if it is real dirty.

I clean mine every time I change oil!

Old 04-30-2007 | 06:37 PM
|
Thanks ed !

I'll stop after work and get some Ele. cleaner

SC

Quick Reply: MAF sensor,can u change just the sensor ?