Lightning

am i the only idiot..

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leann, I've seen stainless pit like that before but only in boating, do you drive it in the winter? As for being an idiot, no, unlucky, yes, but it's fixable. I'd just pull it and clean the hell out of it and make sure there's no other trouble spots on the horizon if it's OK minus the pin holes, just have them tacked up. As a side note- Isn't this the reason we buy stainless to avoid this from happening? I have stainless trim on a 13 year old boat that without **** maintainance looks far better. Good luck, T

Old 05-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Sorry Leeann, but it is very nice to see ya posting...

PEacE..............
Jim

Old 05-07-2007, 05:57 AM
You guys can't see that the tire has been rubbing on that tube

Seriously....I think the headers are fine...except for that spot and the only way you can fix it is to cut that section out and replace a piece of tube or weld a patch over it.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by todd abbott
Leann, I have stainless trim on a 13 year old boat that without **** maintainance looks far better. Good luck, T
It just sounds strange that you would have Leann and **** in the same post

Old 05-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks.. it'll just have to get fixed somehow I guess, because I'm not spending a ton of money on something I'm not going to have much longer.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by SlowSVT95
Thanks.. it'll just have to get fixed somehow I guess, because I'm not spending a ton of money on something I'm not going to have much longer.

You get those pin holes fixed and your O2 sensor will be happier...I.E...the truck should run better...noticeably.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by SlowSVT95
something I'm not going to have much longer.

blah blah blah! I thought you sold it long ago? WHere you been hiding? What you been up to?

Old 05-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by whip
blah blah blah! I thought you sold it long ago? WHere you been hiding? What you been up to?
I tried to, but a lot of things kept getting in the way... one thing after the next. Haven't been up to much, just working a lot and finishing up fire school.. that's about it.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by todd abbott
Leann, I've seen stainless pit like that before but only in boating, do you drive it in the winter? As for being an idiot, no, unlucky, yes, but it's fixable. I'd just pull it and clean the hell out of it and make sure there's no other trouble spots on the horizon if it's OK minus the pin holes, just have them tacked up. As a side note- Isn't this the reason we buy stainless to avoid this from happening? I have stainless trim on a 13 year old boat that without **** maintainance looks far better. Good luck, T
Look out for the smart *** with the boat then

Old 05-09-2007, 06:09 PM
sold me on the jdm headers

Old 05-09-2007, 06:47 PM
OK, not to take away from the post, JB weld I think is a great idea for a quick fix. Good to see you back on the board. Now, I can't stand it any longer, hey Rob, is that handy drawing you constucted a self image of you in school days.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by twb02lightning
hey Rob, is that handy drawing you constucted a self image of you in school days.
You might say that ...

LA if if makes you feel any better for the record I have (whats suppose to be) Stainless Steel Racing Mufflers and they are so ****** rotted I wouldnt even take pictures when I had it on the lift recently &@$%(@$%(@$&^%(@$ I dont blame any Vendor selling these (ok I'll be nice) Headers and Exhaust Systems because they dont make them, but who ever does is FULL OF SCHITT about the quality OR CONTENT of the Stainless in some of their Header and Exhaust Systems. You and I are surly not the first or 50th to complain about SS rusting and or rotting, and GOOD QUALITY Stainless shouldn't.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Stainless-steel can corrode, it's not impervious.

Here in Jersey if you drive your truck during the winter (like I know Leeann has) the combination of road salt+high temperature pipes that are not jet-coated increases that chance.

Pitting corrosion

Passivation relies upon the tough layer of oxide described above. When deprived of oxygen (or when a salt such as chloride competes as an ion), stainless steel lacks the ability to re-form a passivating film. In the worst case, almost all of the surface will be protected, but tiny local fluctuations will degrade the oxide film in a few critical points. Corrosion at these points will be greatly amplified, and can cause corrosion pits of several types, depending upon conditions.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:57 AM
AND IF MY AUNT HAD ***** SHE'D BE MY UNCLE

Whassup Pawn long time no see ...
I see you also visited Stainless steel From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes it's true under the worse possible conditions SS can rust, BUT there are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many cases of Headers, Pipes, and Mufflers rusting WAY TOO QUICK to blame in all on the attack of Salt. No the problem here is exactly whats happening in my industry too, (I've been selling Stainless Steel, Steel, Galvanized, Alum, Plastic, Cast Iron, and many other materials for 37 yrs). They simply dont use the best quality or enough content of the material anymore in the production of the product.
Typical Corp America BS, competition, lowering your cost, keeping up with the jones's, pick your evil.....

As quoted from the same spot you got your quote:

There are over 150 grades of stainless steel, of which fifteen are most common. Stainless steels have higher resistance to oxidation (rust) and corrosion in many natural and man made environments; however, it is important to select the correct type and grade of stainless steel for the particular application.

The 630 foot high, stainless-clad (type 304L) Gateway Arch defines St. Louis, Missouri's skyline.

You dont see no rust here do you, hehehehehe

Old 05-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Most exhaust systems that claim to be stainless are made from lower quality ferretic 4XX series stainless which rusts quite easily, that's the reason they don't tell you what series they are using. Most people think of a 3XX (austenic) series stainless when they hear the words stainless steel. A 3XX (302, 304, etc) series stainless will not likely ever rust in the enviroments that automobiles are subjected to. However, even if a 3XX series is used you can still have problems if non-stainless welding wire is used because it will allow a very large area around the weld to corrode very easily. Stainless is also funny in that if you scratch it with a piece of regular carbon steel it will start rusting in the location where you scratched it and will continue to rust until you clean it up. We used to have this happen at my old job all the time. Also, any reputable manufacturer of stainless steel products passivates any welded stainless steel parts with a mild acid as one of the final stages of production to created an oxidation layer (non visable) across the surface of the material.

Bottom line is that unless it's a 3XX series SS and welded with a 3XX series SS welding wire it will rust.

Quick Reply: am i the only idiot..