Lightning

Is the L's motor a stock 5.4 engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2000 | 04:25 PM
|
Post Is the L's motor a stock 5.4 engine

Does the L have special rods or any other mods besides the blower. ie. injectors,exhaust. I am looking into the holley thunder package and they can't tell me if i can turn the thunder up past 7psi. roush says the trans will not hold up can anyone give me some info on this package

------------------
99 lightning pulley, Downs filter, superchip 13.18 104 new baby
69 camaro 7.90@180 10.5w 3200 lbs. 89 turbo T/A 11.41 121 mph(SOLD)

Old 12-27-2000 | 05:01 PM
I believe the Lightning crank, rods and pistons are beefed to take the additional load, but the heads and injectors are standard 5.4 items.

The transmission has PowerStroke guts to take the extra torque.

I think Holley may feel they would overstress the lower end and transmission if they boosted it too much.

Old 12-27-2000 | 05:48 PM
Cool

HI!... TRACKBOY : I have a couple of buddy's that work in the LIGHTNING ENGINE department here at the WINDSOR FORD plant where all LIGHTNING engines are built. They told me that the only differences between the LIGHTNING's 5.4 and a regular F-150's 5.4 are the following :

LIGHTNING's 5.4 : gets typical forged connecting rods. They can be re-sized. REGULAR F-150 5.4 : gets "CRACKED CAP" forged rods. This means that the rod is made in one peice and then a machine "CRACKS" the rod cap off to make it seperate. The only draw back to this set-up is that a "CRACKED CAP" rod can NOT be re-sized if you want to rebuild the engine. You must buy new rods. They are said to be good to 6000RPM. They are really strong but not quite as strong as the LIGHTNING's forged rods.

The pistons between the two 5.4's are totally different. LIGHTNING 5.4 : has 8.4-1 compression, forged flat top pistons. REGULAR F-150 5.4 : has 9.0-1 compression, hypereutectic flat top pistons. Obviously the LIGHTNING's 5.4 pistons are a lot stronger.

LIGHTNING's and REGULAR F-150's 5.4's : use the same forged steel cranks. By the way ALL TRITON engines come with forged cranks.

The LIGHTNING's 5.4 : comes with 36LB injectors (GREEN), not 40 or 42LB injectors like some people think. My buddy got me a set off a LIGHTNING's 5.4 for my truck when I decide to install my supercharger. REGULAR F-150's 5.4 : comes with 19lb injectors (orange). They can support about 300H.P.

The LIGHTNING's 5.4 : also comes with some extra idler pulleys and belt tensioner because of the blower belt configuration. Also, the entire intake set-up is totally different because of the supercharger.

Besides the above things, the two 5.4 engines are identical, exhaust manifolds, heads, cams, block, main caps, crank, oil pump, front timing chain cover, timing chains/gears, valve covers, and the usual drive acceseries are all the same. Hope this answers your question. This info is straight from a couple of FORD workers that build both these engines.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM SUPERCHIP FLIP-CHIP, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, SHM "RACE WATER PUMP, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150, LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 330H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.53E.T * MPH - 93.00 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

[This message has been edited by Neal (edited 12-27-2000).]

Old 12-27-2000 | 06:30 PM
The cracked forged rods are the ones in the Lightning, the regular rods are not forged, they're cast and not cracked, they get machined like normal rods (which they are).
Lightning heads are the same per se, the same aluminum casting, but the valves are different sizes and are a different metal, and the camshaft is forged, unlike the cast ones in a regualr 5.4. The Lightning valve train has roller finger followers with adjustable lash unlike regualr 5.4s
The lightning gets a 4R100 Transmission with a factory shift kit, most other F-150s get the 4R70W, and the ones that do get a 4R100 (LEV spec trcuks) don't get the six bolt torque converter or the heavy spring accumulator (the shift kit). Also a Lightning is the only gas powered truck with 6 gear cast iron planetary gear sets in the transmission instead of the aluminum 3 or 4 gear planetaries in other 4R100s for any V-8 or V-10 engine, except the V-10 with a Power Take Off option.

Old 12-27-2000 | 07:06 PM
Banned
Thanks for the great info!
One quick question, What is the weakest link in the Lightning power train?

Rob

Old 12-27-2000 | 07:10 PM
I almost posted and then didn't because I was only fairly sure from memory the L's sales brochure said we had cracked rods for added strength. (Didn't want to hunt it down to be sure)

Glad to hear about the iron gears in the tranny too.

------------------
Jim
Black '00
#1,757 built 3/30/00
Clear corners
J.L. Single program
J.L. Stage II ram-air

Old 12-27-2000 | 09:00 PM
My own opinion is that there isn't a weak link in the drivetrain, it's all pretty well matched up. The engine would be the weakest, it's only 440 ft/lbs of torque, whereas the rest of the drivetrain is rated for 1,000 ft/lbs. ( the torque converter effectively doubles flywheel torque going into the transmission, so 440 in is 880 at the input shaft) A 7.3 deisel puts out 500 ft/lbs at the flywheel, that's what the rest of the drivetrain is designed around. For the most part, the drivetrain in general doesn't care about HP, it's critcal control points are geared to peak torque.

[This message has been edited by Factory_Tech (edited 12-27-2000).]

Old 12-27-2000 | 09:12 PM
Factory_Tech,

This brings up a question I've long wondered about. Why even measure HP since it is a measurement of torque at a given rpm? What's the formula, torque x rpm / 5252. I think that's right. Anyway, it's all about torque, or twisting force. I guess I'm asking, why do we even measure HP? I've never seen the answer to this. Obviously, more torque at at higher rpm's is better.

------------------
Jim
Black '00
#1,757 built 3/30/00
Clear corners
J.L. Single program
J.L. Stage II ram-air

Old 12-27-2000 | 10:11 PM
And the "cracked cap" rods come on the Cobra engines which revved higher than 6000!

Old 12-27-2000 | 10:19 PM
Cool

HI!... Well I was curious too, after FACTORY TECH's post, so I just called my buddy that works on the LIGHTNING engine line to ask some more questions. This is what he told me : The lightning uses the EXACT same "PI" (POWER IMPROVED) cylinder heads as the REGULAR F-150 from "99" and up models. They both have the same size valves and are made from the same metal. These heads and valvetrain are also cast at WINDSOR's FORD foundry. Both engines use the same camshaft and profile. The camshaft's in the TRITON motors consist of a hollow steel "TUBE" that the "LOBES" are pressed on to. I even got some FORD spec plans on the camshaft that show it's construction in good detail. I was surprised too that the camshaft is actually a hollow tube of steel with the lobes pressed on. He also told me that both 5.4's have roller finger followers, but they are not "TRUE" roller set-ups. There is no adjustable lash he said. I was mistaken about the rods though. The LIGHTNING's rods are forged "CRACKED CAP" technoligy. The REGULAR F-150 5.4 rods are also "CRACKED CAP" technoligy, but are only CAST. The cast rods are good to 6000RPM. The rods that come in the 4.6 DOHC are also "CRACKED CAP" technoligy and are forged. He told me that the REGULAR 5.4 engines WILL take 400H.P with no problems but you will be stressing the rods considerably after 450H.P. He also said that the LIGHTNING 5.4's will take 450H.P like nothing and that they are stressed at around 575-600H.P. He also told me that the LIGHTNING 5.4's have a slightly different set timing from the factory because of the lower compression ratio. This is straight from the mouth of a guy that builds and takes apart both these engines and from another that works in the dyno room at FORDS.

[This message has been edited by Neal (edited 12-27-2000).]

Old 12-27-2000 | 11:14 PM
Question

the L has aluminum heads dont they ? the regular 5.4doesnt does it?

------------------
silver 00
99 flht
lots of bills

Old 12-27-2000 | 11:36 PM
Awesome info - please put this stuff in the FAQ!!!

Old 12-28-2000 | 01:59 AM
i believe i saw a reference on the lightning spec sheet that said the lightnings have "dished" pistons.. i'll look at it when i get home.. i'll scan it if anyone wants.

------------------
brooks
'00 silver "L"
#1350 of 4966
member NLOC #496
best e.t. - 13.49@101.60
my zing albums - _-click here-_

_-mods-_
clunk (free with purchase)
V1 radar detector
colormatched ventvisors
redline waterwetter
mobile1 oil & filter
eaton inside sticker
2" drop shackles
pro sport bed cover & bedrug
clear corners
R9 superchip & airaid system
superbright headlights & foglights
street scene sport mirrors
brushed billet grills
indiglo ford emblem
euro tails? - up next
waiting on lunar guages
clonetek@jam.rr.com

Old 12-28-2000 | 07:07 AM
I thought the reg 5.4 had cast iron heads but I dunno for sure, I'll defer to your more learned opinion on the cams, but the Lightning brochure for '00 says the cams are different, that's where I got that from. It may be the timing. I was not aware that the regular 5.4 had roller finger followers, or adjustable lash, again the literature Ford published says it's unique to the Lightning but the same rag says 14.6 in the 1/4 adn we all know that's bunk. The real point is, even though it's mostly shelf parts, a Lightning engine is a lot more than a straight 5.4 with a S/C bolted on top, and that was the original question. I can tell you because I build them myself, that a Lightning transmission is a unique box, purpose built for the Lightning and 90% of all F-150s don't even get teh big box (4R100) much less the one built for a Lightning. Of the 32 versions of 4R100s this year, it's prolly the 3rd or 4th strongest built after the big deisel versions, definitely stronger than any V-8 model or even the V-10 models.

the only reason to measure HP is to indicate the RPM range at which the torque is delivered, the 7.3 Deisel puts out 500 ft/lbs of torque but it never runs up over 3,000 rpm give or take, the power sputters out, so it can yank a midsized building out of the ground but it'll never see the high side of 100 mph. A smaller gas motor may have more horsepower ( think here of the rice boys who brag about HP per litre) but they can barely get out of their own way until they get up to 60 MPH. Sure that little POS celica makes 90 HP per litre, but it's a 2 litre engine and in the low rpm range a speed bump causes it to downshift.

Old 12-28-2000 | 01:36 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">but they can barely get out of their own way</font>
LOL, man I am laughing so hard, that was classic.

Daniel

Quick Reply: Is the L's motor a stock 5.4 engine