Lightning

How to install PCV hose

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007 | 09:25 PM
LtngRod01
Question How to install PCV hose

I bought a new PCV hose, it is 3 hoses together, goes from valve cover to supercharger with a third hose going behind the supercharger.

I tried following the line going behind the supercharger to where it connects, probably to the intake, my arm was not long enough to follow it to the end.

I cannot figure out any way to install it short of removing the supercharger or pulling the engine.

Is there a way to do it?

Does anyone have any idea what the Dealer would charge to install it?

I bought my Ltng new Aug 01, it how has 42K on it, the engine check light comes on, the code indicates oxygen sensor bad, but I read a common problem is the PCV hose going soft and leaking. So I bought 2 oxy sensors and the PCV hose, I had no idea it was almost impossible to install the hose.

Any advice will be appreciated.

I am 60 ++ and not as flexible as I once was, my memory says I have always been able to do almost any kind of work on my cars, but my body does not agree.

LtngRod01

Old 05-09-2007 | 10:04 PM
May the Force be with you ....

Old 05-10-2007 | 03:03 AM
Yah their way the hell back their ! Wish i could lend a helping hand LtngRod01

Old 05-10-2007 | 09:00 AM
If it's as bad as my n.a. 4.6 liter, you are going to need some luck. Took me 2 hours, due to the hose ripping and leaving the part on the connection to the intake. I had to cut it off with a razor blade. PITA...

Old 05-10-2007 | 09:32 AM
Been there, done that! PITA!! Not only do you have to take off the S/C, but unless you have arms like Gumby, you will most likely have to take off the intercooler housing (not a big deal once the S/C is off) This will be a great time to clean your intercooler, so look at it like your killing 2 birds with one stone.Plan on an afternoon. Its worth it in the end.Good luck. BTW, good photo, Rob.

Old 05-10-2007 | 11:49 AM
I recently replaced my entire pcv lines and YES you will have to remove the s/c to get to that back one on the lower intake. I did not have to remove the mid plate to get to it though, but, it is a TIGHT fit! (btw, I'm 62)

As Mondo1 stated...it will be a good time to clean the I/C while you're at it!

Old 05-10-2007 | 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by Eds 01 Lightnin
I recently replaced my entire pcv lines and YES you will have to remove the s/c to get to that back one on the lower intake. I did not have to remove the mid plate to get to it though, but, it is a TIGHT fit! (btw, I'm 62)
You cheated!! 62 means you have been wrenching longer than most and have a distinct experience advantage......... (btw I'm 61, born with a wrench in hand_

Old 05-10-2007 | 09:21 PM
LtngRod01
PCV Hose

The picture tells it all.

I can see no short cut.

Is it best to get the gaskets from Ford, or is there a good aftermarket source?

My options seem limited, my mechanically inclined son is 3000 miles away in California, one son-in-law is a Helicopter Pilot in the 10th Mountain Division, he can only fix things if he is provided detailed written instructions (Typical Army GI), the other son-in-law has trouble changing the spark plug on his lawn mower. That leaves me.

Thanks for all the info.

Old 05-11-2007 | 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by LtngRod01
The picture tells it all.

I can see no short cut.

Is it best to get the gaskets from Ford, or is there a good aftermarket source?

My options seem limited, my mechanically inclined son is 3000 miles away in California, one son-in-law is a Helicopter Pilot in the 10th Mountain Division, he can only fix things if he is provided detailed written instructions (Typical Army GI), the other son-in-law has trouble changing the spark plug on his lawn mower. That leaves me.

Thanks for all the info.

You should be able to reuse the metal gaskets...I did! You can usually reuse the bolts as well. A few of mine were coroded so I replaced all of my bolts at a cost of about 100.00+...but, I was also going for looks and didn't want to use old bolts on a newly ported/polished s/c and plenum and powder coated mid plate.

BTW, Go ahead and replace your plugs (NKG TR6)at the same time as it will be much easier w/o the s/c. I actually enjoyed the challange!

Of course, shortly after replacing my s/c and cleaning the I/C I leaned of my pre-existing problem with the pcv line going to the lower intake, the symtoms of which started shortly prior to the swap, and I had to R & R the s/c again to replace that pcv line. I could have just capped that line with my newly installed oil separator installed but chose to have a fully operational pcv system. Good luck!

Just print out the instructions, take your time, and have FUN! PM me if I can answer any questions!

Last edited by Eds 01 Lightnin; 05-11-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2007 | 01:54 PM
Here is another view...

Quick Reply: How to install PCV hose