Lightning

Why are my front tires wearing like this??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007 | 07:33 PM
|
Thanks Tim, i think i understand now. But what should this kit consist of? How many pieces? Also, is it supposed to replace both bolts/nuts on the upper a-arm or just the front or back?? Thanks for your patience, i'm learning as i go here!

Old 05-21-2007 | 10:02 PM
Your answers lie here, young Grasshopper.

Old 05-22-2007 | 03:37 PM
|
Thanks Tim

Old 05-22-2007 | 08:44 PM
I would verify that napa part number listed on Tim's page. I could be wrong, but I believe that part number is for a Ranger. If my records are correct, the napa number you need is 264-3658. They will both work, but the correct bolts/cams are more substantial.

Old 05-23-2007 | 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by chesster51
I would verify that napa part number listed on Tim's page. I could be wrong, but I believe that part number is for a Ranger. If my records are correct, the napa number you need is 264-3658. . .
You'd better be right, because I just changed the page. I've got a reputation to uphold.

Seriously, can anyone else verify the part #?

Old 05-23-2007 | 04:54 PM
Understood. If that part number you just changed is the same one that has been on there for a while, it is the wrong one. When I originally did my cam bolts I went to napa with that number, made the purchase and installed them. I don't remember how, but I found out later that number was for the Ranger and then bought and installed the others. There was a visible difference in size and thickness. I just tried to verify through napa online, but neither part number would come up. Not trying to bust your chops, just trying to help.

Old 05-23-2007 | 05:31 PM
too much negative camber will do that, and TOE OUT will as well, more so than you may think. you want about 0.1 toe IN.

Old 05-23-2007 | 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by chesster51
. . .Not trying to bust your chops, just trying to help.
Of course. The help is appreciated.

Old 05-24-2007 | 12:29 AM
Im do for a total suspension makeover(Im doing air in a few months, but I'm still gathering parts), but in the meantime I have got to fix my negative camber problem. I have some cut ground force coils up front and supposedly butler install my camber bolts in a year ago. Since then I have gotten new tires and the tires I just took off had the entire inside worn to nothing. I went and got it realigned for free my this guy I know at Firestone and he said it looked as if Butler had only installed half of the kit, WTF??? He said he pulled them in as much as possible, but there wasn't much he could do. I have some DJM control arms sitting here that were not supposed to go in until I did the air bags, but Im wondering If I put the LCA's in with cut stock springs if I could get it aligned better?

Old 05-24-2007 | 09:45 AM
Sadf,

The big obstacle here is the upper A-arms and the cut springs, there is only so much room for adjustment there. Do you have the DJM uppers handy?

If not you can temporarily sacrfice some caster angle to get the camber to a better spec, but the truck will be a little more unstable at high speed, and the steering will not center as well.

I would also have them chack all of your steering linkages (tierods, pitman, idler, drag link) for excessive play, as that can lead to poor tire wear as well.

Good luck.

Old 05-24-2007 | 12:38 PM
Thanks Pitstain. I guess if lowers won't help I will just have to wait another month or more when I start bagging it. I don't have enough uppers due to the fact they are useless with the bag setup I'm doing. My front setup will consist of Belltech Spindles (to correct camber), DJM Lower Control Arms, KP Component cup, Slam Specialties RE6 bags, Shocks w/relocators (probably to the side of the LCA and thats pretty much it. After I relocate everything it should lay frame and the 22's will be sucked up in there. The spindles seem to take care of negative camber for most cases and I will get an alignment at ride height.

Old 05-24-2007 | 02:19 PM
I'm not getting the relationship between spindles and camber.

Old 05-24-2007 | 02:35 PM
Just make sure you set your camber to no more than -0.50 at your desired rideheight (unless you roadrace), even with the belltech spindles and DJM lowers your camber will go nuts when you air out and lay it down because that is dictated by the design of our suspension.

I am sure Tim will come in with some cool charts.....

cough cough,.......Tim post some charts.......cough

Old 05-24-2007 | 04:11 PM
By no means am I an expert on this stuff fellas. I realize numbers dictate me saying what is what. On the FordTruckWorld.com boards (the only place that has any knowledgeable bag guys) I have researched and talked for quite some time. I originally was going to stick with a 295/30/22 all around and the only way to tuck that much was to get as much negative camber to clear everything (I even have an explorer booster going in) was to only use the lower control arms, which I needed to lay any ways. For some reason everyone who puts the Belltech Spindles on their camber dissapears when they are completely aired out. Here are a couple of examples:
With DJM LCA's and Bell Tech Spindles:

With DJM LCA's and Spindle Flip

With DJM LCA's and Factory Spindles:

Notice without the Belltech Spindles or the common Spindle flip there is more negative camber.

Last edited by sadf; 05-24-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-25-2007 | 08:17 PM
In the short time that I was able to look at these photos (I diverted my eyes when my brain cells started exploding like microwave popcorn and my lunch began to come back up), I think that I have the answer.

There is inherent camber gain in an equal length a-arm suspension. It gets more as the arms travel further upwards.

There is less camber gain with the drop spindles simply because the arms do not have to go as far up with the axle at the same point (with the top rubber band jammed up into the wheel well) vis-a-vis the stock spindles.

In closing, although I doubt that it will do any good, I beg you, for the sake of humankind, and for all that's good in the world, please do not do that to a Lightning. There are plenty of base model F150s that the world won't miss. Think of the children.

Last edited by Tim Skelton; 05-25-2007 at 08:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Why are my front tires wearing like this??