Lightning

Oil Separator Kit, really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Separator Kit, really worth it?

I was thinking about getting one, but was wondering if it was actually worth anything? Does it really help? I saw this one:

http://rpmoutlet.com/lightsniper1.htm

Old 05-12-2007, 03:57 PM
I bought that over a year ago. The first time i went to screw it on... the piece broke and the threads were stuck in the valve cover. Cheap plastic. In my opinion... thru lots of research and experimentation, dont waste your time with all these oil seperators. The only true fix is breathers and eliminate Pcv system. Everybody has their own opinions though.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Sorry, but a vacuum evacuation system is essential with any forced induction engine. Breathers alone will not relieve the crankcase pressure enough by themselves. For this reason alone, a good PCV system is needed. There are alternatives to the RPM device. I do agree with bnehila that it is a cheaply made unit with less than adequent results.In my opinion,a properly maintained, simple compressor type separator can do as good a job job as others out there. the key is to periodically clean the filter element.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:42 AM
i just bought the l and s kit. a little pricey but we'll see how it works. should be here soon

Old 05-13-2007, 07:07 PM
If you just got the L&S kit, you will be extremely happy. Vince is a top notch guy and his oil seperator kit, in my opinion, is the best one made.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by promodlightning
If you just got the L&S kit, you will be extremely happy. Vince is a top notch guy and his oil seperator kit, in my opinion, is the best one made.
What he said!

Dan

Old 05-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Many options to choose from: http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...hlight=keeping

Bottomline, anything is better than none. A picture is worth a thousand words

Old 05-13-2007, 10:01 PM
I had mine in the Torino vented thru the headers and out. The headers vacuumed the exhuast and ventilated the crank case, no mess.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:30 AM
If you do a "search," as one did in here, you'll find all kinds of info on separators and their value,or lack of value, and you can make an informed decision on what to do or not do.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by twb02lightning
I had mine in the Torino vented thru the headers and out. The headers vacuumed the exhuast and ventilated the crank case, no mess.
The problem with that is you can damage O2 sensors and cats that way. Works great on a carbeurated car but not very practical on a modern car. I think a belt driven or electric vacuum pump to a remote mounted filtered resevoir would be a treat alternative! Evacuate pressures, seperate any oil (if any), and evacuate to air... problem solved.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Sic SVT
I was thinking about getting one, but was wondering if it was actually worth anything? Does it really help? I saw this one:

http://rpmoutlet.com/lightsniper1.htm
I put that one on my truck a couple of years ago and haven't had any problems with it. Since I live in California where the smog laws are strictly enforced, you can't get away with any breathers that allow anything to get into the atmosphere. If money is no object, then they make more expensive untis, but if you want bang for the buck, then these will work.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:15 PM
correct me if im wrong...can't you buy those at sears? I think a buddy with a 00 L got his at SEARS for like 75$

Old 05-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by 462rwLightning
correct me if im wrong...can't you buy those at sears? I think a buddy with a 00 L got his at SEARS for like 75$
I'm not sure why you would want to spend $75 at Sears for something you can get for $39.95 from RPM?

Quick Reply: Oil Separator Kit, really worth it?