Lightning

To those with custom sub boxes???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2000 | 03:59 PM
|
Question To those with custom sub boxes???

I was wondering for those of you that have custom boxes how many cubic feet of airspace was needed. Also, did you lose any leg room? I need .60 cu. ft for 10's and 1 cu. ft for 12's. Just wondering. Thanks.

------------------
00 Black Lightning
No mods yet
00 Honda Civic
01 Pontiac Grand AM GT

Old 11-28-2000 | 05:56 PM
Try www.mobileaudio.com In FAQ theres a subwoofer section that has good info. If you're looking to buy a box, go to internet directory, open the MTX web, then car audio, then thunderforms. This is the best looking box that has the volume you're looking for. Have seen installs and they look factory.
Good Luck, ED

------------------
White'00 #2006
soft tonneau,22% tint
performance mods soon.

Old 11-28-2000 | 09:14 PM
Thumbs up

I just built a box myself for a JL 10" (.625cuft of airspace). I had to move the passenger seat up about a notch, but other than that, I don't lose any room on the driver's side. The only "mod" was removing the factory box and grinding off 2 of the studs used to hold the cd changer. For my amps, I extended the back side of the speaker compartment and put a lip on the top, bottom, and edge for support. I was able to mount a Fosgate 360 and 120 along with the fuse box and the ground splitter. The center console doesn't hit it when you move it up and down, either. I'm not a fan of carpeted boxes (brings back bad high school memories) , so I decided to use a flat gray primer and a dark gray "fleckcoat" paint that has black, white, and gray granules in it. It gives the box a rough appearence and hides any seams and screws that might be showing. I don't have a digicam, but I'll get someone to take a pic or two when I get a chance. It cost me about $35 and took about 2 hours to build and paint.

DUCK

------------------
November 18, 1999 We will not forget.
The fallen 12 will live in our hearts forever.
Fightin' Texas Aggie Bonfire 1999

Old 11-28-2000 | 10:00 PM
Kicker and JL both make excellent small sealed box subs. The main problem you guys will run into is magnet depth. Without scooting the seat forward too many notches, you are really limited to the depth of 12 and 10 W0s in JLs line, and the 10 and 12" Kicker Solobarics.

Get your airspace right, and try to make the box as deep as possible. The air directly behind the cone is what really matters. If the box sounds a little tight, fill it with polyfill. Main thing for first timers, make sure the box is absolutely air tight, and if you aren't confident enough to lay it down and jump on it, then it's not strong enough. Just a few tips hehe :-)

------------------
1995 F-150 Regular Cab Flareside w/ 302 V8... Mods: DJM Suspension 3/5 Drop Kit, Mass Air, K&N FIPK, Dual Exhaust (no mufflers), Lund Premier Tonneau Cover, Motorsports 9mm Plug Wires, BellTech Nitro Drop Shocks, Trenz Pollished Billet Antenna, A/C Controls and, Door Panels, Superchip, Autometer 5" Tach, Precision Gears 3.73s, TD Chrome diff cover, Trenz Billet Grill, Distinctive Truck Accessories Bumper w/ billet insert and light pockets, Summit Battery Relocation Kit, Cervini's Chin Spoiler, EAI Front Bag Mounts, Firestone 26c Airbags, MAC valves, EAI 5 gallon tank, Thomas compressor, Autometer Pro-Comp A/F gauge, Autometer Pro-Comp Boost Gauge, Autometer triple gauge pillar, II Xtreme Levels C-Notch (through the bed) and bag mounts, BellTech 1" Lowering Blocks, BellTech Tailgate Handle Relocation Kit, 20" KMC Clockers on BF Goodrich 245/40/20s.

Twin Garret T3 Turbos

Old 11-29-2000 | 11:59 AM
I put three JL ten inch w3's in a box I built and there running about .65 cubic feet with displacement. Don't forget about the woofers displacement.
I'm 6 foot three and I have plenty of room. Didn't loose anything on the drivers side, but lost one click on the passenger side. Still enough room for the old lady.

------------------
99.5 red lightning
Cervini's ram air hood
billet grilles
clear coreners
clear tail's
A.R.E bed cover
SS street style mirror's
Super chip R9
airaid intake
trans go shift kit
Audio: Kenwood 9015 cd, Kenwood kmd minidisc, Kicker 5x7 impulse, kicker 5.25 resolution, phoenix gold zx450, Phoenix gold zx500, Three JL audio 10w3's, Qform's, custom built box.
Built 5/4/99 A tuesday
# 917 of 4000
Best ET. 13.42 at 100.98
best stock 13.96 at ?

When the green light drops, the bullsh*t stops.

Old 01-04-2001 | 11:19 PM
A little late, but might interest someone...

I whipped up this enclosure for a single JL Audio 10" driver. A hair over .7 cu ft, all told. I moved the CD Changer to the drivers side, in the remaining part of the storage bin. There is an Alpine amp under the passenger seat, driving the sub and JL Audio 6.5" coaxial speakers in the doors. Not too shabby, and pretty low profile, considering.

A few more images @ http://www.pictobot.com/browse2.asp?...001_Subwoofers

------------------
----
Jim Cain
JHCain@raising-cain.com
White 99 Lightning
Black 00 BMW M Coupe
http://www.averagegeek.com

Old 01-05-2001 | 05:54 AM
here is a pic of my box

------------------
'00 Black L'

AFTERMARKET STEREO:
Memphis ST1000D amp (1100w@1ohm)
Memphis ST3004 amp (75Wx4@4ohm){ran out of money, will add later}
Memphis PR93 3-way 6x9's (Front)
Memphis 2-way 5x7's (Rear)
2x Memphis 15-ST104D (10"Dual Voice Coil Subs)
Custom Vinyl boxes and amp rack
Cascade Audio and Dynamat Xtreme Dampening Material in Doors and back of cab
Ford Motosport logo hitch plug

PLANNED MODS:
Clarion or Pioneer Motorized LCD screen deck
Lightning Audio Stiffening Capacitor
Viper 550 Alarm w/ remote start
Chip
Air Raid Intake
******* X-2000 Bed Cover
Bed Liner
Locking gas cap
Custom License Plate
Window Tint

Old 01-05-2001 | 07:56 AM
Seen that Kicker makes some square subs, it reads that the 10" square outperforms the 12" round solo-baric. So I guess bigger sound, smaller box.

Please its been a while since I dealt with audio equipment, kicker might suck, I dont know. Just passing along what I stumbled across.

------------------
Jim
96 Black Cobra,
K&N,OffRoad H-Pipe
NitrousExpress 150 shot
1999.5 Black Lightning
No Mods yet

Old 01-05-2001 | 09:15 AM
I just finished building a box for a 10" square sub. I think I am going to have to move the seat up one click like the others. The internal volume of the box is .8 I believe the external deminisons are 13.5 x 12 x 5 for the top and the bottom is 13.5 x 12 x 10

I have not put the box in the truck or put any covering on the box. Once I get that all setup I will post pics and tell you how the square 10" sub compares to my 12" Eclipse DVC's.

For grins here is a pic of the stereo in my 93 Cobra.

------------------
93 Teal Cobra #4656
2000 Silver Lightning #4524

Old 01-05-2001 | 10:09 AM
Smile

Here's mine:

Daniel

Quick Reply: To those with custom sub boxes???