Lightning

Valve Springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2001 | 02:02 AM
|
Post Valve Springs

Does anyone know if after market valve springs are available for the modular engine 4.6 and 5.4 cylinder heads? Also I tried to purchase the carbon fiber drive shaft for my 2000 and was told that they have not made one. What could be different from the 1999 year model drive shaft?

Old 01-03-2001 | 02:34 AM
Oooo, I was hoping to order that drive shaft, I hope they're the same.

Ask BABolt, he's got one and I'm sure he'd know...wasn't he the test-bed truck?

Daniel

Old 01-03-2001 | 03:10 AM
Rest In Peace
From: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
What about the bottom end, and a lighter crank.

Where is all the weight in these things? The frame/body? Who's got a Lightning on a diet plan? I have heard 100lbs less = .1 off E.T.

Old 01-03-2001 | 07:53 AM
Hey 38, without doing some reaserch, I would say to check out Sean Hyland for that info. If anyone knows if there are any valve springs, they would. BTW, have you chekced into replaceing the factory intercooler with a better one? I have started looking into this, the co. I found that can build a better one is Spearco. I made out the measurements for a custom built one, but havent called since it seems to be out of my price league for the slight gains I might see. Have you checked into this???

------------------
99' Black (Wikd)SVT
best run 13.47 @ 102.89

01' Nissan Pathfinder
16.13 @ 82.59
240hp/265tq
wanna mod, but wife rolls her eye's

Old 01-03-2001 | 08:40 AM
Now.. I'm not sure how many have thought of this, but speakin of mods, Have any of yall thought of switching to electric fans? on my dakota it made a huge difference on the top end... maybe yalls is set on a looser clutch than ours, but maybe try a fan from a 4.6 stang? I'm runnin a 16" from Autozone in the winters and summers when I'm not towing, but just screw the stock one on for towing... (easy to put on and off) I'll prolly switch to a Stang fan here soon... Just thought I'd share a popular mod for us Daks

Old 01-03-2001 | 10:20 AM
Wink

Hey! Have you seen the size of the springs on those valves. I would think that you may want to double up on your springs to increase your seat pressure. You could take the springs out of some old Parker T-ball Jotters and use them for inner springs while retaining the stock ones for the outers. Boy with those two huffers on that motor you gota be worried about keeping the intake valve open. Why would you want one of those fancy carbon fiber driveshafts when you can get a nice big aluminum one. There 5 inches in diameter, now thats a driveshaft.

Old 01-03-2001 | 10:54 AM
Yoda I believe I can help with the intercooler.We use Spearco on some of our set ups. We are a dealer for them as well. Did you ask them for a water to air cooler or just an air to air? Sometimes you have to speak slowely to them! Give me a call Ill see what I can do..maybe there is something that can be done.
seb 909-280-9111

Old 01-03-2001 | 01:38 PM
n20boy, I havent called them yet, just went to their website, tooled around it. Went out to the truck, took some measuments, but havent called them yet (no time w/ the holidays etc..) I am @ work right now, but will give you a call later this week. What realy discouraged me were the prices that they are asking for comparable water/air coolers. Looked like $400+ for something like I want, I just cant see it being worth it. But I will call you to see what you have to say.

Old 01-03-2001 | 01:50 PM
Red face

Who did you try to purchase the drive shaft from, Clint? I have a carbon drive shaft in my 2000 and it works just fine. We had a group buy on them not too long ago. The price was $790 plus CA tax, shipping, and installation- ran me right around $900 total. You might want to contact Jeff at Inland Empire Driveline Service in Ontarion, 909-390-3030, and see if he has any left, or what it would cost to build you one. The guy who installed mine, Mark Chuhaloff at Coast Driveline here in Ventura, said it was a very high quality piece, especially for the price. At first blush I kind of liked BillyBob's idea of using the '01 aluminum shaft, but from my little knowledge of metallurgy I am surprised anyone is using aluminum in that sort of high stress application in view of the limited fatigue life. Yeah, I know they use it in race cars, but there it is a throw away item.
Clint, weren't you working on an intercooler fix for the L? How is that project coming along? And, apropos of nothing, has anyone come up with a better tranny radiator for the L? Wasn't Spiro working on that project?

------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

'84 Alan Record Carbonio, Aerospoke wheels, Campy brakes.
'00 SVT Lightning, silver, G-tech Pro, JBA headers, 4.10 gears, Swanson chip, Pro-M, NGK plugs, carbon drive shaft, Roadmaster suspension kit
13.39 @ 102.5
2001 Kevlacat 2400, twin 115 Evinrude FICHT, Raytheon VHF, radar, autopilot and GPS chartplotter/fishfinder.

gmvye@pacbell.net

Old 01-03-2001 | 02:56 PM
Cool

where is babolt when ya needem' ???

Old 01-03-2001 | 03:43 PM
What is your reasoning behind needing new springs? New Cam? Higher engine speed?
What cam specs do you plan to use? (Stock, reground, custom blank {as if})

I used working as a test engineer at the largest NA Valve spring maker, worked with OEM, specialty and Race. (That was a fun job) So I may be able to help you find what you need.

[This message has been edited by SilverBullet (edited 01-03-2001).]

Old 01-03-2001 | 04:36 PM
Just a thought , but will the 2000 cobraR heads work on the L. I know the cobraR has a 5.4 in it. That cobraR's putting out 385 horse NA from that 5.4 so what exactly is done to that motor to get that out of it. Maybee we could use those parts. If there availible.

Old 01-03-2001 | 04:38 PM
I also like the fact that a carbon fiber driveshaft gone bad will disintegrate and not become a deadly weapon.

Daniel

Old 01-03-2001 | 05:17 PM
Talking

Yes the 2000 Cobra 'R' heads will fit the Lightning motor and the 4.6L motor too. The big problem will be in developing a new manifold with an intercooler if you plan to use the Eaton supercharger because the stock one is not going to fit those heads. The other problem is, see if you can find the 'R' heads. Goodluck. Why does the 'R' motor create the high HP numbers? It's the HEADS.
OK. Now we know that the 4 valve head (Cobra and Cobra 'R' type)is not going to work with the Lightning intake manifold so what are you going to do. You can port and polish the Lightning heads or you can go with ported and polished SVO heads. In another thread the flow numbers were published for the heads and the figures for the SVO heads were dead wrong (exhaust side). A good set of ported and polished SVO heads will take more than what your Eaton can dish out. You really don't need to be looking for a lot of exotic hardware. The valves and valve springs are more than adequate for high horsepower Lightning motors.
P.S. Just want to add one item I do know of an individual the is pushing close to 500RWHP from his Lightnings and the only reason that I do is because of the shop where it was build. So it can be done and you don't have to get fancy.

I have a set of Ported and Polished Lightning Heads and I will sell them. Flow data is available to serious interested parties only. May also be able to offer the SVO heads too. Please no tire kickers.

[This message has been edited by BABolt (edited 01-03-2001).]

Old 01-06-2001 | 08:15 PM
|
I contacted the drive shaft place that you have referenced. That's why I was surprised when they gave me the (What are you talking about line?) I will call them again! The valve spring question is for general knowledge in case I need them for higher boost and RPM. The modular stuff seems impossible to find in the aftermarket. I am back on the intercooler problem. Quit working on it when Ford said they had a fix!! Babolt questions how viable the fix really is, so YES I am working on it with SUPERCHILLER the boat intercooler people. Also, a good friend of mine just recently purchased SPEARCO company so I know he will do it for me!! Chet

Quick Reply: Valve Springs