Lightning

Cobra R vs. Z06 vs. Viper GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2001, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightning boy, are you high?!?! Do you really in your heart of hearts think that the R looks better than a Z06? Maybe i read that wrong.

I love Fords as much as the next guy, but this car is going to be a nice lil afterthought 10 years from now. Say what you want about it being built as a road course car, but it's getting embarassed by Vipers and Vettes in every comparison i've seen. I can't help but look at the thing and think it was thought up and built by a few drunk Ford engineers over the weekend. Sorry if you bought one.

Old 01-19-2001, 10:19 PM
For Sale:2000 Cobra R $50.00 OBO

------------------
99 red lightning, bassani complete system #1610 of 4000
2001 arctic cat zr440 snopro on the way
2000 super duty v10
Arctic cat 400 4x4
Cobra "R" #131 of 300
www.svtperformance.com
My vehicles http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4293160925

Old 01-19-2001, 11:48 PM
The post stating that a Cobra R would get more attention than a Viper GTS was absurd! I have been in my GTS at a Saturday night parking lot hot rod meet when a Cobra R was also present. The GTS got the gawks, looks and the questions by about a ten to one ratio. The Mustang still has the same basic Mustang body with a few bells and whistles. Seeing a Mustang is a common experience. Since there are only about 1400 -1500 Vipers made per year, seeing a Viper still causes alot of excitement e.g. little kids running out of their house yelling "Viper!!", woman walking around the car in parking lots and asking questions when you return to the car; fathers walking up to the car at ice cream stands with their kids saying: " what a neat car!", etc. The visual impact of a Viper is incredible. In 1983, I had a very suped up white Mustang 5.0 with a black stripe. It never got the same kind of looks or questions - although it was a very fast car.

Old 01-20-2001, 12:06 AM
I like the looks of the R and the Viper (Black w/ silver stipes-97?) over the Z06. Anyone calling BS and putting down anyone for their OPINION has the maturity level of a 10 year old, though.

As far as the Viper getting more attention, how many people actually know what a Cobra R is? Every average Joe and his 5 year old son can spot a Viper from 6 blocks, but most probably lack the knowledge to know how to spot an R from a Mustang with a bigger spoiler. You'd be amazed at how many people with "performance" cars come up and ask me what SVT stands for and why I did all of that crazy stuff to my truck.

This argument, however, will never be settled. The Chevy/Ford/Mopar thing has been around almost as long as the three brands and each is better in certain aspects.

DUCK

------------------
November 18, 1999 We will not forget.
The fallen 12 will live in our hearts forever.
Fightin' Texas Aggie Bonfire 1999

Old 01-20-2001, 01:02 AM
i see vipers fairly often. --don't impress me that much either, plastic body around a 489 ci engine, and they only cost $80,000...wow..... don't get too much of a hardon over your car there. a viper is a ghetto *** excuse for a supercar when compared to a ferrari and other exotics, IMHO. when i see 1 viper a month, i don't consider it to be exclusive. i have seen maybe 3 ferrari's in my entire life, and have never seen a cobra R.

anyway, i have heard vipers are absolute ****boxes on wheels, fast as hell, but terribley built cars.

------------------
Dave
93 5.0

Old 01-20-2001, 10:59 AM
False statement there MACD23, the Viper GTS smoke just about every Ferrari out there, there are a couple I'm sure, but the 360 modena F1...no..the maranello 550...no, the GTS is just an amazing looking kick *** muscle car that cant be compared to many,whether you see one per month or not, its still more kick as than any mustang or vette in my perspective, the Z06 does look real nice to..

Old 01-20-2001, 11:50 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MACD23:

that is without a doubt the dumbest, most least thought out statement i have ever read...

</font>

You really need to get your head out of your a$$.I can tell by the way you reply you dont have much experience with life in general nevermind debating about something as simple as a car.EVERYTHING in my quote is true you idiot.The reason you dont see any is cause they are all in garages.Do you see them at the track.....NO Do you see them on TV or anywhere else on a road coarse.....NO therefore how is my OPINION thoughtless and stupid? Take your 5.slow for instance,I see those beat boxes everyday.99% of these cars are pounded and unless you bought yours new which I doubt,your car has been pounded too making it a worthless pile of cow dung.If you had a mint one with 1000 miles on it all original,you could get top dollar for it.the diffrence is obvious but let me point it out for you.when all 300 Rs are sitting in garages wating for the big payoff,how are they exclusive? you think im wrong? You got a lot to learn.I got some good pointers on stocks for seeing you think you are a finacial wizard. the symbol is" bdge " buy now and you will payoff BIG when you decide to sell in 20 years.When everybody decides to sell the Rs all around the same time,well see whos laughin and your probally thinking what if they dont right???? Then what the hell good is having the car if you cant.......
Make money with it,drive around comfortable with AC or radio,are afraid to put miles on it, or just enjoy the car in general.You should at least be able to do one of those things.
as billy joel says you can sit home and polish the fenders right.

Old 01-20-2001, 01:06 PM
Seattle,

He was talking about stock cars....OBVIOUSLY!

Anyone can make anything go fast with the right amount of money.

So arguing that ur 600 hp cobra will be faster is completely irrelevant to the debate.

------------------
2000 Red Lightning
95 Saleen S-351 Convertible/Triple Black
97 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

Old 01-20-2001, 02:56 PM
The 00 Cobra R is the best Mustang -for the track- Ford has ever made. SVT didn't set the price, Ford did. It's not worth 50K to me to drive on the street, and that's not what it was intended to do. Take the same three cars, run them for 500 miles on the track, and see which one still has brakes, fluids, and is still running. Ford intended this car to race, and to the GTS class racers, 50K isn't all that much, considering it has a power steering cooler, diff cooler, an engine that will make great power where you can use it, and a superb IRS that they are going to put their own shock and springs on anyway.
Now-- on the other hand -- Ford pisses me off when they can't get their heads out of their moneybag asses long enough to fix the problems on the street Cobra or the L. I suffered with a 99 Cobra to the point that Ford said they weren't going to work on it any more. The service manager showed me where they had tallied up over 39K worth of 'fixes' on my car, and he refused to work on it again. I swapped for a L, and have never looked back. Those of you that are suffering with the intercooler problems have my sympathy, I know what you're going through. I'm dreading the day I see the coolant drop.

LocoSVT
00 Red Lightning

Old 01-20-2001, 03:46 PM
You can take yur modded 600 hp mustang, and look for all the Vipers you want, you may win, but the Viper will look better loosing than you winning, go look for a modded Viper and see what happens, you find one that has spent as much money on his car as you did to give it 600 hp, you'll be crying, go find a Hennessey 650R to race, or one of those new Lingenfelter Vipers with 700 hp, you'll wish you would have stayed home

Old 01-20-2001, 04:13 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You can take yur modded 600 hp mustang, and look for all the Vipers you want, you may win, but the Viper will look
better loosing than you winning, go look for a modded Viper and see what happens, you find one that has spent as
much money on his car as you did to give it 600 hp, you'll be crying, go find a Hennessey 650R to race, or one of
those new Lingenfelter Vipers with 700 hp, you'll wish you would have stayed home
</font>

I........don't........think so.
Go back to your Viper board troll.

------------------
'96 White Cobra Coup
'01 Sliver Lightning ordered

www.geocities.com/trm6346

Old 01-20-2001, 04:14 PM
He is right, a viper is much better looking than a Ghetto Mudstain...

Old 01-20-2001, 04:26 PM
Normally I don't pay trolls much attention, but this guy's getting personal, and he's just too stupid not to slam hin twice.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You can take yur modded 600 hp mustang, and look for all the Vipers you want, you may win, but the Viper will look better loosing than you winning</font>
That's a matter of opinion, I happen to think that a SN95 Mustang with a Saleen ground effects kit is as hot as any car can look.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">go look for a modded Viper and see what happens, go find a Hennessey 650R to race, or one of those new Lingenfelter Vipers with 700 hp, you'll wish you would have stayed home
</font>
You must mean Lingenfelter Vette (see you don't even know your cars). I welcome the competition from either. I think my car will be an even match performance wise with both of the above mentioned vehicles and it would come down to driving skill.

------------------
'96 White Cobra Coup
'01 Sliver Lightning ordered

www.geocities.com/trm6346

Old 01-20-2001, 04:27 PM
He's hardly a troll.

In fact he has more posts here than you it looks like.

------------------
2000 Red Lightning
95 Saleen S-351 Convertible/Triple Black
97 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

Old 01-20-2001, 04:31 PM

I am getting very sick of you guys hammering your opinion on us. Ok, we get the point you don't like the R. Who cares, don't buy one then. This argument reminds me of the Lightning vs RT debates that go on. You can fault us for owning Mustangs, but have no right to cut us down just because we own one. Everyone on this board goes off the deep end whenever somone comes in here talks down the Lightning, but it seems as if it's ok to beat on other people. Calling them mudstangs and other slangs is just childish. Funny how we are so stupid because we own one, but smart enough to have the money to buy them, and pay cash may I add. My R is not stored in a garage for my retirement, I drive it. I have put on 1350 miles since october.Not trying to fuel a big fight here, but I'm sure you understand that if you spent this kind of money on somthing you wouldn't enjoy people cutting it down. Just think about it.
No offense meant, Brian

------------------
99 red lightning, bassani complete system #1610 of 4000
2000 Loghtning, PSP filter/chip, svo throttle body, Bassani, 4.10's
2000 super duty v10
Arctic cat 400 4x4
Cobra "R" #131 of 300
www.svtperformance.com
My vehicles http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4293160925

[This message has been edited by bggroth (edited 01-20-2001).]

Quick Reply: Cobra R vs. Z06 vs. Viper GTS