Lightning

update on oil in intake tube...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2001 | 05:45 PM
|
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gforce:
beechwood,

I have seen older engines with bad rings do this. I really think you would know it if a cylinder wasn't up to par. It would run roughly or would pump blue smoke out the exhaust or both. I think you're ok in that area.

Another thing that occurred to me is maybe your PCV valve is faulty or the hose is kinked or something. The valve itself should have vacuum on it, and that's where the oil vapors should enter the engine to be burned up. The driver's side plastic tube is where fresh air is supposed to enter the engine as the PCV valve sucks it out on the other side. Instead, for some reason on your truck, the vapors are going backwards more so than the rest of us.

I'm out of ideas. Maybe someone else here knows something else to look for. Also, with 6 quarts of capacity in the crankcase, you could put quite a bit into the rubber hose and not really notice it on the dipstick. I'm guessing that WOT is when it occurs. I would be as concerned as you are, but then again, I'm too picky (****) about stuff as I've been told.

Let us know how the new valve cover does.

</font>
gforce
you & i think alike; the day I found the oil in the tube I immediately installed a new pcv. but i haven't checked for kinks, i'll give that a look.
yea, i'm **** too, i won't be happy until i get this solved.
do you forsee any ill effects from putting the vent filter on? thanks.

Old 01-25-2001 | 06:13 PM
beechwood,

Today's customers of new cars want something that is turn-key and go. No hassles. That's why our L's have 100,000 mile, platinum spark plugs and many vehicles have 5yr/150,000 mile antifreeze. Not necessarily the best thing performance wise, but will get the job done.

The plastic tube in question is cheap. And it brings filtered air to the crankcase because it is downstream of the regular air filter. No filters to clean or change like older cars had in their big, round air cleaner. GM used a white, clip on filter in the metal air cleaner for the PCV system. Not sure what Ford did.

The addition of an external filter (K&N or whatever) is money to Ford. And it requires periodic cleaning or replacement. There's your difference. Money + hassle = customer dislikes in the maintainance department and higher costs.

So, if the external filter performs EXACTLY the same way as the tube, how could it cause any ill-effects? The only thing it will cause is periodic cleaning (maintainance) and most importantly, no more oil where it shouldn't be: oil crusted up on the throttle blades and oily junk gooping up the I/C to boot.

However, don't leave a hole in the black rubber T/B tube obviously. Plug it with something of sufficient size so as not to be sucked into the S/C rotors. That would be ugly and I'm sure not covered under warranty. Strictly my .02 once again.

------------------
Jim
Black '00
#1,757 built 3/30/00
Clear corners
J.L. Street program
J.L. Stage II ram-air
MagnaFlow Exhaust

[This message has been edited by gforce (edited 01-25-2001).]

Old 01-25-2001 | 07:06 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by beechwood:
If I find oil, my first step will be to put a pcv on the driver side valve cover. If that doesn't work I'll then put a K&N filter in place of the pcv. The service manager says he will not let either one of these "fixes" affect my warranty.
I'll post another update when I know more.
</font>
Which direction are you trying to check valve(PCV)? The flow is only in one direction, from the valve cover to the 'charger. If you put the PCV in line to stop that you'll probably get oil out through the dipstick. The bottled up pressure will surface somewhere.

------------------
Red '00 Lightning,
Power Surge Performance enhanced,
Sound effects provided by Flowmaster,
375 RWHP,
445 RWTQ,
12.974@104.818
Track Videos

Old 01-25-2001 | 07:24 PM
Red face

Guys- This is a more serious problem than what you may realize. I am 99% sure that the detonation caused by the oil in the TB is what caused my engine to fail. Ford is trying to cancel my warranty solely because I had a chip-(federal law says they have to prove the chip caused the failure) and they can't because they didn't even put a wrench on the truck! I brought the truck home and put a new engine in myself and I am going to file a law suit to recover my expenses and get the warranty restored. Anyway, after putting about 200 mi on the new motor I checked the TB and there was significant oil in there. Last night I plugged the hole in the rubber elbow and made a temporary filter to go over the end of the plastic tube. Going on a 200mi trip tomorrow nite but so far no oil in the TB. Wish Ford luck-they're gonna need it-my lawyer is like a pit bull ready to attack!

------------------
2000 Silver L #4906
Best 1/8th mi stock:9.13
Best with R9 and 5,000 mi: 8.67
1995 Stang : (wifes'car) 12.30 1/4 mi
1972 Skylark: 7.16 1/8, 6.70 on the bottle

Quick Reply: update on oil in intake tube...