Lightning

About To Change Oil To Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tlfwatch
The 75-90-weight is RP synthetic, the 75-140 FORD is not
Motorcraft 75W-140 is synthetic. Also, RP makes a 75W-140. I just bought 3 quarts of it.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Unhappy Ok Mabey I Screwed Up I Refilled With Rp 75-90

Originally Posted by doctorD
HUH?

Every person I've talked to, including a few dealers, said that the rear diff lube 75w140 MUST BE synthetic in the F150. My manual says it must be synthetic.

Ford Motorcraft rear gear IS synthetic and it costs about $18.99/quart at the dealer.
Ok i screwed up i refilled differential with royal purple 75-90 i will change it tomorrow back to RP75-140 but as fas as my motor oil i should be alright running 10-30. thanks

Old 07-25-2007, 08:58 PM

but as fas as my motor oil i should be alright running 10-30. thanks
I say yes, but some people will disagree with me.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by SWThomas
I say maybee

I would prefer you run 5W-30 but at least for the summer you should be OK. Personally I run 0W-20

Ok i screwed up i refilled differential with royal purple 75-90 i will change it tomorrow back to RP75-140
thanks
You should be OK for a day or two with 75-90 gear oil, but would change it out fairlly soon

Last edited by Don's Bolt; 07-25-2007 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:19 PM
my neighbor who just left is running 10w40 RP in his 1999 4.6.

he was using mobil 1 but was going thru a quart per 1200 miles...running 5w30.

with the RP 40 wt oil, he said the motor has used about 1/2 quart and it's been around 2800 miles now. I guess that's much better. I did warn him about going to an oil that was too thick, could create oil starvation in critical areas.

I'm sure he won't change his mind, he's tickled pink with the RP.

Last edited by doctorD; 07-25-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:59 PM
I like Amsoil. It's in the tranny also. I believe it's longer lasting than the others, although they are bordering on pricing themselves out of the market IMO. Their d-a-m-n oil filters are approaching $15/each, and as others said, oil changed as often as it's supposed to (or more) is the major factor. Amsoil loves the 4-ball wear test (film strength) which shows a smaller scar than all the other synthetics in their tests. We run the crap out of our motors, so I kinda feel a little better thinking the oil in there is protecting it from wear as much as possible.

Tim, I appreciate your CR article. Very interesting.

In the end, most of our trucks suffer from Ford's ***-up called Modular Motors and junk internals, not oil type or even viscosity. Nationally recognized race engine builder Ronnie Crawford (local around here) has had these (not just from Lightnings) come in with things breaking that before now were unheard of in low performance applications. Valve heads splitting in half, defective blocks, terriible shake on brand new engines from lack of balance, oil pumps falling apart, and many more things that he said that I can't even remember. The general overall engineering of the motor is a disaster, so much so that Ford is still revising them as they go because of being such junk. Our trucks do well only because these motors have a HUGE stroke coupled with roots style instant boost which gets these heavy vehicles moving. The heads don't flow.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by doctorD
Final observation: I've never seen a torn down motor that lived on dino appear to be clean in any way and the truck and car motors I saw had a lot more wear than I expected. Not so with those that were run with synthetic. But that's my personal account.
I'll add a "data" point. I've seen many test motors torn down after hundreds of hours (simulating ~100k miles). All the motors were run with "dino". Many of these motors had cylinder cross hatching that showed virtually no wear. Granted they were run in cleaner and more controlled environments than any fleet motor would be but they spend most of their time at very high loads and they come out quite clean.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks Don

Originally Posted by Don's Bolt
I say maybee

I would prefer you run 5W-30 but at least for the summer you should be OK. Personally I run 0W-20

You should be OK for a day or two with 75-90 gear oil, but would change it out fairlly soon
THANKS DON
I just changed back to 75-140 weight just got off phone with JDM they recommend 5-20 weight in thier built motors. then 5-20 it is.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Blown347Hatch
In the end, most of our trucks suffer from Ford's ***-up called Modular Motors and junk internals, not oil type or even viscosity. Nationally recognized race engine builder Ronnie Crawford (local around here) has had these (not just from Lightnings) come in with things breaking that before now were unheard of in low performance applications. Valve heads splitting in half, defective blocks, terriible shake on brand new engines from lack of balance, oil pumps falling apart, and many more things that he said that I can't even remember. The general overall engineering of the motor is a disaster, so much so that Ford is still revising them as they go because of being such junk. Our trucks do well only because these motors have a HUGE stroke coupled with roots style instant boost which gets these heavy vehicles moving. The heads don't flow.
You mean a fully ported 2V head flowing 220cfm sucks??? I have to laugh when I see that...GM is releasing their L92 castings that are flowing 320cfm STOCK and they're about $550 each with valves and springs for a .650" cam. Ford's idea of performance is a little lacking...

Old 07-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Exclamation Does Royal Purple Make A Supercharger Oil??

Does royal purple, make supercharger oil. thanks

Old 07-27-2007, 02:07 PM

Does royal purple, make supercharger oil. thanks
They make a 50W synthetic motor oil. Kenne Bell recommends a 50W synthetic in their superchargers. I use RP in my KB.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Question Does The Royal Purple Turn Brown After A Few Miles

Originally Posted by Black02SVTL
I've been using RP in my L since the first oil change. It is a great product.
What weight do you run, to start with I really couldn't make up my mind between mobil 1 and royal purple so i choose royal purple. thanks

Old 08-25-2007, 01:21 PM
Red face No More 5-20 Motor Oil For Me

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Knowing what i know now about motor oil i will never run 5w-20 oil again the automotive manufactures use this light weight oil to try to get better mileage
CAFE. My uncles f-150 was making a noise inside engine when they tore it down it had bearing wear with 120000 miles on it and camshaft wear he lives in a hot climate and he used 5-w20 He begin to lose oil pressure for about the last 5000 miles the motor was a 5.4 trition so i am glad i went with a 0-30
oil. check AMSOILS web site and see what ROBERT RILEY has to say about 5-20 oil he does not recommend it. If you would like info on this email me your email address.

Last edited by tlfwatch; 08-25-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:03 PM

Knowing what i know now about motor oil i will never run 5w-20 oil again the automotive manufactures use this light weight oil to try to get better mileage
CAFE. My uncles f-150 was making a noise inside engine when they tore it down it had bearing wear with 120000 miles on it and camshaft wear he lives in a hot climate and he used 5-w20 He begin to lose oil pressure for about the last 5000 miles the motor was a 5.4 trition so i am glad i went with a 0-30
oil. check AMSOILS web site and see what ROBERT RILEY has to say about 5-20 oil he does not recommend it. If you would like info on this email me your email address.
With 120K miles on the engine I'd think the oil had little to do with it. Also, there is very little difference in using a 0W-30 oil over a 5W-20.

Quick Reply: About To Change Oil To Royal Purple