Lightning

To run a whipple...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007 | 11:36 AM
|
To run a whipple...

Ok,

I know you need bigger fuel pumps, injectors, maf, and of course a tune...

but when it comes to the exhuast... will it make any difference at all, and im not talking about hp gains, I am talking about hp loss by running stock exhasut?

I am running right now... stock pre-cats, hi-flow cats, and magnaflow di/do, with the stock exhaust manifold... could I still run a whipple on here at 12 psi?

or is it too restrictive?

also, other than a bigger heat exchanger, what else is needed besides whats listed above?

Thanks

Old 07-23-2007 | 12:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by cklepinger
Ok,

I know you need bigger fuel pumps, injectors, maf, and of course a tune...

but when it comes to the exhuast... will it make any difference at all, and im not talking about hp gains, I am talking about hp loss by running stock exhasut?

I am running right now... stock pre-cats, hi-flow cats, and magnaflow di/do, with the stock exhaust manifold... could I still run a whipple on here at 12 psi?

or is it too restrictive?

also, other than a bigger heat exchanger, what else is needed besides whats listed above?

Thanks
It depends on how much power you want. With 12 PSI you should be fine with your current se-up. BTW, you don't "need" a bigger heat exchanger.

Old 07-23-2007 | 04:40 PM
Not to be a jerk, but you may want to do some more research and find out why you should do these upgrades before you buy a whipple. You are putting a lot more air in, you need to get that air out too. A less restrictive exhaust will save your engine a lot of unnessicary stress. Think of the big picture, not just what certain parts claim to do. Good luck with it, and do lots of research. (Maybe off the board research, like getting a book on basic engine principles...if you can find one, a college level diesels book (a lot of the same principles) can teach you a lot about combution.

Old 07-23-2007 | 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by whip
Not to be a jerk, but you may want to do some more research and find out why you should do these upgrades before you buy a whipple. You are putting a lot more air in, you need to get that air out too. A less restrictive exhaust will save your engine a lot of unnessicary stress. Think of the big picture, not just what certain parts claim to do. Good luck with it, and do lots of research. (Maybe off the board research, like getting a book on basic engine principles...if you can find one, a college level diesels book (a lot of the same principles) can teach you a lot about combution.

He's got a turbo charged F150 also.. I think he get's the picture.

Old 07-23-2007 | 06:13 PM
I had the basic bolt ons and added JDM's/Kook's full exhaust-I believe I gained 17HP and 22LBS of torque so are you leaving alot of power on the table, no, as you move up in HP the gain's become bigger but for running a low boost setup on a Whipple I say go for it, say 12lbs with an MAF, plugs, injectors, pumps ect.. and get a solid safe tune.

Old 07-23-2007 | 06:24 PM
Im running 15 psi on my Whipple with stock injectors and stock fuel pumps, no problems here. Just get a good tune.

Last edited by Big Man; 07-23-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-23-2007 | 11:45 PM
|
Originally Posted by Big Man
Im running 15 psi on my Whipple with stock injectors and stock fuel pumps, no problems here. Just get a good tune.
so you did just a simple bolt on swap to the whipple, on stock everything?

what lower pulley are you running?

Old 07-23-2007 | 11:47 PM
|
Originally Posted by khendrix2374
He's got a turbo charged F150 also.. I think he get's the picture.
Thank you...

I kinda get the idea... but maybe I should go read the book?

why do people post stuff like that?

I had just h-flow cats and the magnaflow, its just too loud.... I will sacrifice a couple HP for a tad bit quieter....

Old 07-23-2007 | 11:50 PM
|
Originally Posted by Big Man
That scares me a little...

you are able to hold a decent a/f mixture the entire time? and your maf is not pegging?

so the whipple just being bolted on... my only concern about this is, I get it all on and to the dyno, and my maf pegs, or my fuel pump cannot deliver the needed fuel... = boom..

Old 07-24-2007 | 06:28 PM
Sorry, I should of added that I do have full exhuast and SCT MAF. Im using a 2lb lower with a 3.375 upper. No problems.

Quick Reply: To run a whipple...