Lightning

Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2001 | 06:54 PM
Lightbulb

My idea was to get the brake kit and take a look at it before I worried about the wheels. I am not a big fan of the 01 wheels, so I would probly look into grinding the calipers. If another set of wheels was necessary I would look at somthing in the aftermarket.
Brian

Old 02-09-2001 | 07:08 PM
Thumbs up

Got it... I'll get them now if it saves me some money, otherwise I'll wait until I get the wheels.

Latest situation is that they have the '99 and '00 kits ready to go... part numbers as list on their website (they even reference the Lightning). But, Brembo direct wont undercut their dealers?!

The best price I have is from Steeda $2995... I will call them and see if we can get a better deal if more people get the kit.

Let's see if we get more interest... Nathan might be interested, i'll email him.

[This message has been edited by DreaminAboutL (edited 02-09-2001).]

Old 02-09-2001 | 07:08 PM
Are these for the front only ?

It would look great if both front and rear were the same.

Old 02-09-2001 | 07:13 PM
Guy's I am in on the upgrade. Does the Steeda $2995 really get us where we want to be or is this just what is avaliable?

------------------
2000 Lightning
2000 EB Explorer
1995 Sable
1986 MZB
1966 Mustang
1969 Fairlane 500 Convertible

Old 02-09-2001 | 07:41 PM
BlackLight: yes, unfortunately it is only the fronts, but note that the front brakes in a heavy vehicle do 90% of the work... the rears would only be for looks. A full rear brake upgrade is a PIA, you have to worry about brake bias, how to interface with the parking brake, etc. Though rear brembo rotors are available...

Bolt: The Steeda kit is exactly the Brembo kit. And true, there is only the Brembo kit and the Stillen kit available for our trucks. Luckily these are definetly top-of-the-line, no compromise kits. These are the exact calipers used on the Ferrari F40 & F50... and the rotors are bigger!

With that said, would it be possible to overdrive these brakes? On a road-course, yes... if you abuse your brakes and try to break the laws of phyics, yes... it is possible to fade any brake system. I have driven a 2800lbs car with 14" / 6 piston brakes, hawk blue pads, and have faded the brakes, it wasn't easy, but I was trying to prove a point to a guy. I've seen people crack 3rd gen composite rotors all of hell (more money then brains that guy had)... yet with aggressive but smart driving... these brakes will work extremely well.

With these brakes, good fluid, and the basic chipenfilter... you will be embarassing some seriously fast cars on the track... I promise.

Finally, I found out that the Stillen kit does screwy things with your wheel offset, the rotor hat moves the wheels out about 0.9" -- like sticking out in the breeze. So I'm only interested in the Brembo's.

Old 02-09-2001 | 07:46 PM
Blacklight: Brake ducts like this?

And the Rears, rotor only upgrade:

[This message has been edited by DreaminAboutL (edited 02-09-2001).]

Old 02-09-2001 | 09:19 PM
Dreamin,
Do you think we could get a better deal if we could get some mustang or other owners interested in a group buy? If so we can post on some other sites and see what kind of reaction we got. I belong to some Mustang boards who knows there might be more interested people. I will wait to do anything till I get a reply back from you.
Brian

Old 02-09-2001 | 10:49 PM
Bggroth: The mustang kit is a different kit completely... Brembo had a special on them a while ago for like $1000 or $1500.

But I do think we should post a group buy on this board... the kit will fit all F150's. Either one of us can do that... we should review the group buy rules...

I will send an email to my contact at Steeda and get the price for 3, 5, and 10 kits. I will also ask if buying a bunch of Mustang kits will improve our price...

Old 02-09-2001 | 11:13 PM
Talking

DreaminAboutL
Well done ! You are on the right track.

I will get the Brembo brakes, but I need a 2nd set of the 2001 wheels first.

In the picture of the upgraded rear brakes, it seems like a full size spare under there ?!

Quick Reply: Brake Question