Lightning

what are the symptoms that a hose popped off the fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what are the symptoms that a hose popped off the fuel pump?

I am about to pull my bed off, have a bunch of buddies coming over to help me pull it and if it is not the pumps I am going to be pissed and embarrashed. What are the symptons that a hose popped off the pump? I just installed twin 255 pumps so I am guessing a hose popped off.
The truck screams and does not go anywhere. runs smooth at idle and if I accelerate slowly it is fine, it is only when i floor it that I can tell something is wrong. When I start the car it takes 5-10 turns to kick over when it used to take one or 2. threw codes p0171 and p0174 lean bank 1 and 2. I replaced the PCV hose that most people said was the issue, the one that connects to the rear of the motor just above the bell housing. the truck hesitates pretty bad for a few seconds if at a dead stop and i gun it.
I am going to stop at the auto store and buy some MAF cleaner and try that first but could my symptoms be related to a hose popping off one of the pumps?

Thanks!!!

Old 07-25-2007, 06:47 PM
What sort of fuel pressure are you getting at

Idle ?
Part Throttle ?
Low Boost ?
High Boost ?

Just wondering as a buddy over here has the same problem.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:00 PM
Fixed!!!
thank you blwn5pnt4 for coming over and helping me off with my bed. one of the lines, well actually all of them were swollen and one got so soft it ripped right by the clamp. kind of pissed as the hose i got was supposed to be some special hose for the tank. i made a post and someone here recommended the line, do not use it!!! i am going to search through my post and find it so incase anyone else searches they will know and post it up here. truck back to running strong, i just used the hose that i should of in the first place that came with the psp fuel pump kit. so i wasted $45 buck on the pcv hose, but at least my intercooler is clean now and i have a spare pcv hose on hand!

Old 07-26-2007, 03:31 AM
sorry i didnt read your posts sooner,,,,could have saved you some time

i talked with ROCKS about this on lightning rodder awhile back,,,sorry,,atleast you got her figured out

Old 07-26-2007, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by Ricki F-150
What sort of fuel pressure are you getting at

Idle ?
Part Throttle ?
Low Boost ?
High Boost ?

Just wondering as a buddy over here has the same problem.
sorry i do not have a fuel pressure gauge. it was under mid to full throttle i got the hesitation. idle was fine and so was slow acceleration.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Hose

I know you said you bought the hose that is designed for submerging in fuel but yikes! I was going to purchase some of that hose for when I change the pumps but I'm not so sure now.

Anybody have similar experience with the submersible hose? What are the alternatives?

Old 07-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by BriteRed20s
I know you said you bought the hose that is designed for submerging in fuel but yikes! I was going to purchase some of that hose for when I change the pumps but I'm not so sure now.

Anybody have similar experience with the submersible hose? What are the alternatives?
yeah scary, only been in there a few months now and maybe a few hundred miles of driving.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:57 AM
Least you got it sorted ok.
Could have been a lot worse - like a vented block.

Get a fuel pressure gauge fitted then you can keep an eye on the pressures.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:20 PM
this is the fuel line i used that failed after a few months and only a few hundred miles
j30r10 fuel line

Old 07-26-2007, 01:24 PM
well i just googled that fuel line and it seems to be the consensus that it is the correct line for the job, just not sure why mine failed.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:55 PM
I wonder if you got a bad lot of hose although that would not make any sense as Gates or whoever likely make 100 miles of it at a time. I would think everyone who bought hose at around the time you purchased your hose would be in the same predicament.
I saw a thread maybe on NLOC about using nylon hose covered with stainless braided material. I think I may try that instead of the J30R10.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by BriteRed20s
I wonder if you got a bad lot of hose although that would not make any sense as Gates or whoever likely make 100 miles of it at a time. I would think everyone who bought hose at around the time you purchased your hose would be in the same predicament.
I saw a thread maybe on NLOC about using nylon hose covered with stainless braided material. I think I may try that instead of the J30R10.
I it online on some sight someone reccomended and it was alot cheaper i think, i got what i paid for
i think the stuff from NAPA is the good stuff from gates.
no biggie, only took 45 minutes and a pizza pie to feed my buddies for helping.

Quick Reply: what are the symptoms that a hose popped off the fuel pump?