Throttle Body Installation Q....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle Body Installation Q....

Ok..

I got the LFP Throttle Body...

Very Nice looking..

2 things I noticed... one.. there was a a little oil all over the old TB and it was runnign down and pooling near my air filter..... through the intake tube...
i bought the oil seperator and it will be here tomorrow.. will this eliminate all this oil in here? Also doe the oil only come in from the passenger side pcv valve? and not from the driver side or is the driver side very minimal and its mostly coming from the passenger side pcv valve?

2 now my air filter makes more hissing noise than before.. I checked everything.. I have all the hoses hooked back up correctly after installing the TB is this becasue the single blade TB sucks more air in?? Does it actually draw more air in on the stock eaton? it only hisses during light driving and slow acceleration....

thanks

Old 07-26-2007, 10:52 PM
oils is drawn in the intake from the drivers side valve cover.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by cklepinger
Ok..

I got the LFP Throttle Body...

Very Nice looking..

2 things I noticed... one.. there was a a little oil all over the old TB and it was runnign down and pooling near my air filter..... through the intake tube...
i bought the oil seperator and it will be here tomorrow.. will this eliminate all this oil in here? Also doe the oil only come in from the passenger side pcv valve? and not from the driver side or is the driver side very minimal and its mostly coming from the passenger side pcv valve?

2 now my air filter makes more hissing noise than before.. I checked everything.. I have all the hoses hooked back up correctly after installing the TB is this becasue the single blade TB sucks more air in?? Does it actually draw more air in on the stock eaton? it only hisses during light driving and slow acceleration....

thanks

The hissing noise you're talking about is sparatic during the operation of your vehicle.. Mine does this at different times.. It does especially during a cold start up....If you have a trained ear you can hear it, off an on thoughout a driving period... Possibly something to do with building up too much vacuum during operation. Then it goes away within several seconds.

FYI-Many have bought oil separators beforo but, I have heard of several trucks throwing codes because of installation. Just hear say....

Old 07-27-2007, 10:17 AM
you have heard of codes being thrown after the oil seperator has been installed...

do you know what kind of codes?

Old 07-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Hi Guys

I had that hissing sound at Idle and traced it to the IAC valve.
The noise was made worse by the elbow on the air intake pipe on my Whipple
set up that connects from the intake tube to the IAC valve.

So I removed the brass elbow from the intake tube and opened up the bore of the elbow to allow greater flow which reduced the hissing sound.

I think the noise is caused by the air flow through the 90 deg elbow.

No issues with my single blade TB
Just get a little oil in the intake but that gets cleaned after every track meet.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:58 PM
i just installed a accufab tb and i have the hissing noise and slight throttle only, well at least when i romp on it i can not hear it anymore
i think it is just the air making noise when it squeezes past the throttle blade when it is only open a bit.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by 00rsvtl
oils is drawn in the intake from the drivers side valve cover.
Wrong, oil is only being drawn in from the passenger side PCV system.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by WigginWilly00
The hissing noise you're talking about is sparatic during the operation of your vehicle.. Mine does this at different times.. It does especially during a cold start up....If you have a trained ear you can hear it, off an on thoughout a driving period... Possibly something to do with building up too much vacuum during operation. Then it goes away within several seconds.

FYI-Many have bought oil separators beforo but, I have heard of several trucks throwing codes because of installation. Just hear say....
It is a very common sound to hear once one has installed a single blade throttle body and one should not throw any codes from installing a Oil Separator. If one does a PCV delete open air breather , then you will throw a code and it does need to be dealt with in a tune change.
If someone has installed a closed system separator and is throwing a code something is wrong.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Ricki F-150
Hi Guys

I had that hissing sound at Idle and traced it to the IAC valve.
The noise was made worse by the elbow on the air intake pipe on my Whipple
set up that connects from the intake tube to the IAC valve.

So I removed the brass elbow from the intake tube and opened up the bore of the elbow to allow greater flow which reduced the hissing sound.

I think the noise is caused by the air flow through the 90 deg elbow.

No issues with my single blade TB
Just get a little oil in the intake but that gets cleaned after every track meet.

This can and does happen , it is similar to playing a woodwind instrument. The air rushing over these Orpheus's and fittings can make some strange and illusive noises.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by halflife
i just installed a accufab tb and i have the hissing noise and slight throttle only, well at least when i romp on it i can not hear it anymore
i think it is just the air making noise when it squeezes past the throttle blade when it is only open a bit.
Exactly what they should do, it sounds so purrdy..........

Old 07-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by Dbl G
Wrong, oil is only being drawn in from the passenger side PCV system.
Hate to say it, but you're wrong on that count - during WOT, there is a significant vacuum felt on the hose that runs to the drivers side valve cover and with the 2-way PCV valve that Ford installed there, oil is easily drawn up into the intake tube (that's why you see it in the tube and down into the MAF). The whole purpose of that hose was originally to allow metered air to 'enter' the valve cover, circulate through the crankcase and be drawn up into the intake plenum. Installing a 1-way PCV valve (like a supercoupe had) to allow the air to only flow into the valve cover but close off when vacuum is applied will keep the oil from being drawn into the intake tube. That, along with a good separator on the passenger side has kept my I/C and intake tube absolutely spotless for over 15,000 miles now. An added side effect is that it also puts a little more vacuum in the crankcase during WOT which conceivably helps the rings to seal better and prevents blowby.

Bird

Old 07-28-2007, 11:28 AM
I ran a Sep. on my drivers side when I first started designing them and other goodies. I was sponsored by AMW and after running one per side for a year there was nare a drop nor film in the driver side cannister.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Current config.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Drivers side Config...
Pic. #1

Pic. #2

Ahh Sponsorship, Free goodies....

Passenger Side which is what most everyone runs,, Some of which are mine. These happen to be the unobtainable AMW's I was provided and tested for a year, on a modified motor.

Last edited by Dbl G; 07-28-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:55 AM
I've made one or two.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Installation Q....