Lightning

Please help me make a decision on 01 Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2001 | 11:34 AM
|
Post Please help me make a decision on 01 Lightning

Ok, I know you all are a little biased, but I'd like your opinions on the following:

While stopping by my dealer's to see if my part's in, I end up talking with the sales manager who sold me my car. He promised me an 01
Cobra at invoice if I wanted to trade up because of the problems I had. I asked him if he would honor an invoice price on an 01
Lightning...he said not a problem.

Here's the deal: He'd give me the Lightning at invoice ($29K), and give me $21K for my car as is, and $20K if I take all the goodies off to
sell myself (Bassani, tri-ax, MiniDisc player, etc).

I owe $15k on my car.

He says he can get me in it by early April (silver, with max tint he'd throw in for free).

My payments now are $640 a month, and I'd take an extra $5k I have sitting around and put it toward the Lightning. So, I'd cut down my
payments considerably, and I'd have a new truck with 380 HP/450 tq (before chip and exhaust, etc. of course).

Ergo...the Dilemma.

Another option is to pay off my car and wait for an 03 Cobra....

Here's some relevant info: I live in New England, it will be a daily driver, and I have no performance (HP, vibe) problems with my Cobra whatsoever (30K miles).

Thanks for any opinions....

Old 02-11-2001 | 11:40 AM
So which mods are you going to do to the 01 L first?? J/K I would get the L. If you can get one for 29K there is no way you can lose on that deal. IMHO

HANKFAN

Old 02-11-2001 | 11:54 AM
Thumbs up

As the previous owner of a 99 cobra convertible with no problems i would say get the lightning. Resale value, utility, and maybe speed. I wonder if the 01 cobra will be as quick as the 01 lightning. Whatever you decide good luck.
Danny

------------------
1995 Cobra with a T76 Turbo
2000 Lightning JDM chip 13.395 @ 101.38 60 ft 1.953
My toy can be seen at sundancerracing.com look under street cars

Old 02-11-2001 | 01:08 PM
|
Sorry about the screen name...

One major factor which I forgot to mention is winter performance (i.e. not killing myself).

With my Cobra lowered, there's no chance in hell I can add any weight for traction purposes.

I have that option in the L, of course, but (a) I don't have traction control in the L (right?); (b) I got about 50 more HP in the L; and (c) I got wider tires in the L.

So, even assuming I can add weight to the L, am I simply trading one traction problem for another on slick/slushy roads?

Old 02-11-2001 | 01:11 PM
|
Also, what about insurance (in general) ?

I pay $1950 a year for the Cobra. I assume that regardless of the L's performance numbers, it must be a little cheaper to insure, no ?

(Yes, I know asking general questions about insurance is dumb because of the myriad of factors, but even anecdotal evidence would be greatly appreciated.)

Thanks...

Old 02-11-2001 | 01:27 PM
Thumbs up

We see absolutely ZERO snow where I live, so I may not be the best person to answer your question, but I'll give it my best shot. From what I've read, most are extremely pleased with the L in snow. Most mount snow tires on cheap rims and use those with a lot of success. Plus, you have the ability to throw in a few sandbags to help out.

My insurance is a little cheaper than what you stated, but not by much. Before the L, I drove a 91 Bronco and the only increase I had in insurance was due to the value of the vehicle. I am 22 and have had no tickets go to my insurance. We don't do the "points" thing here in Texas, so I can't relate it to you in those terms. It should drop a lot when I turn 25, though....not sure about y'all, but we get raped for being so young.

Go with the L.

DUCK

------------------
November 18, 1999 We will not forget.
The fallen 12 will live in our hearts forever.
Fightin' Texas Aggie Bonfire 1999

Old 02-11-2001 | 01:43 PM
Red face

Jeez, you kids. $640 a month for a vehicle? First of all, your dealer is working you over. Invoice on a Lightning is more like $27K, not $29K. He has inflated the invoice so it sounds like he's giving you more for your trade than he really is. Your financial strategy sounds about as responsible as my kid's, who seems to think that surf boards will appreciate. I'd sell the Cobra and buy a new KIA Rio. Toss in another $2K and the payment would be $0. Then take the $640 a month and invest it. If you make the right investments you should be able to buy a triplex in a couple of years. Rents should pay the mortgage. Payment $0. Use the surplus income to pay off the mortgage in 5 years. Use the income to buy a new house for yourself, rent out all three units. Then think about toys.

[This message has been edited by alphadoggy (edited 02-11-2001).]

Old 02-11-2001 | 01:52 PM
|
Ok, while I appreciate the financial advice, I was looking for advice by way of Cobra - Lightning comparison, but just to clarify:

1. Invoice on 2001 Lightning: $28,223
MSRP: $31,745

I think he said $29k to include D&D, too. So, it's not $27k, and if you know a dealer where it is, let me know and I may make a trip.

Second, I owe $15k on a car that I am about to get $20K for (how is this bad again? Aren't most people upside-down on newer cars ?) I pay $640 a month because I am financing my Cobra over 48 (edited from 36...goofed) months, which I got for invoice ($25,750). I thought that was fairly responsible. I could have paid $375 a month if I took the 5 or 6 year plan (but, then again, you probably would have gave me shiz for that one, too )

Also, I figure getting rid of my 99 Cobra before the 01's hit the streets can give me a little more value. I thought that was a decent strategy, too, timing-wise.

I pay $640 a month for a car because I can afford it, and because that's money that's available after investments in funds and $10,500 annually to my 401K. I guess I could have spent it on surfboards, but I don't surf.

[This message has been edited by 99Cobraownerwithdilemma (edited 02-11-2001).]

Old 02-11-2001 | 01:55 PM
|
AD - your points are extremely well taken if they apply to this statement by me:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">and I'd take an extra $5k I have sitting around and put it toward the Lightning.</font>
I made it sound like an "investment," and you are right to chastise me for making it sound as such. I probably should put it elsewhere.

Old 02-11-2001 | 02:43 PM
Cool

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was chastising you. You know how us old fogies are, sometimes we butt in where we shouldn't. Maybe a lot of people are "in the bucket" on their car payments, but its not a financial strategy I would recommend, unless they like making bankers and car dealers richer and themselves poorer. Generally speaking cars are lousy investments (although I wish I'd been able to buy a 300SL in 1956 and put it in a garage for about 30 years).
However, addressing your question, do you need a truck? The Lightning is expensive to run. Poor milage on premium gas, and those F1s don't last long, plus you'll need a set of snow tires in N.E. But other than that, it works fine as a daily driver, and its hard to overlook the fun factor. More fun than any car I've ever driven (although I've never driven a Maclaren or Ferrari F40). And you can haul and tow more than you could with a Cobra. So, choose your poison, I think you'll have fun with either one.

------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

'84 Alan Record Carbonio, Aerospoke wheels, Campy brakes.
'00 SVT Lightning, silver, built 2/9/00, #133 of 4966, G-tech Pro, JBA headers, 4.10 gears, Swanson chip, Pro-M, NGK plugs, carbon drive shaft, Roadmaster suspension kit
13.39 @ 102.5
2001 Kevlacat 2400, twin 115 Evinrude FICHT, Raytheon VHF, radar, autopilot and GPS chartplotter/fishfinder.

gmvye@pacbell.net

Old 02-11-2001 | 03:16 PM
|
AD - no problem, I know where you were coming from (I already heard it from my dad when I bought my Cobra. That disconnect had something to do with the fact that my starting salary 2 years ago was $30,000 more than he retired at, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt, too. )

As far as the F1's don't last long, that's a good point, and I'm sure the 295 L tires are more expensive than the 17" Cobra ones... MY Comp T/A's didn't last long either...

Gas mileage is a wash for me...I get 20 MPG now (4.10's), and I know I'll be a little less than that with the L with the 3.73's.

I do not need a truck whatsoever, but neither do I need a Cobra... . I think one person's been in my backseat in 2 years, so that's another wash with the L. I play hockey often, and will be building a house in August (I'll need the truck for Home Depot runs, not for the construction aspect). Other than that, I don't "need" the bed.

Finally, have/will the intercooler issues be addressed on the 2001, or is that still an open question ?

Old 02-11-2001 | 03:30 PM
99Cobraownerwithdilemma
I live in NewEngland too, what dealer are you talking about. For the winter you could allways get some snow tires, and put some weight in the bed.

As far as the intercooler, it has been redesigned for 2001

------------------
1999 F150 4x4 4.6V8 regcab/shortbed
Oxford White with Wedgewood Blue two tone, with Blue Captains chairs
Bullet Cat Back, Superchip, K&N FIPK Intake.
Centerline Saber rims 17x8" with Firestone GTA 275/60hr-17 tires.
Alpine CDA-7845, ADS P640 Amp, Focal Poly Kevlar seperates.

SILVER 2001 LIGHTNING on order
http://members.tripod.com/donf150/Welcome/id7.html

[This message has been edited by Don C (edited 02-11-2001).]

Old 02-11-2001 | 03:46 PM
Dude, i don't know where you all are getting your numbers for invoice from, but they sure are way off. Invoice is $27,527. I know this because it is printed on my order confirmation from my dealer. MSRP is $32,300. Just needed to clarify that.

Old 02-11-2001 | 03:52 PM
Cool

dude get the cobra r for 64 k we got one here in our dealership northern california
its one of only 300 now thats badass ride
good luck

Old 02-11-2001 | 03:53 PM
I think you need to decide whether you want an '03 Cobra or a '01 Lightning...unless you figure that in 2 years you can keep (or trade for a loss) the Lightning and buy an '03 Cobra.

Also, you need to decide if you want a car or a truck.

I'm a car guy, first and foremost. I found this out a few years back. I'm at a point where I can afford to keep cars instead of trade them, so this is not an issue for me right now.

As far as performance goes, if the '01 Cobra is _what it is supposed to be_ (and that's up for debate...who really knows?), then it will outrun an L in the 1/4 stock for stock (albeit, not by a lot). I may get flak for this, but this will be from the same people who believe a BONE STOCK L can outrun a BONE STOCK LS1 F-body. If one is realistic and objective, then they know this will not happen.

The Cobra should run low-13s/105-106mph in the 1/4 and the L should run mid-13s/102mph or so in the 1/4 (both depending upon track location/condition, of course). If you modify one, then you must also allow for the potential to modify the other.

Also, if you get 20mpg with your Cobra, gas mileage will NOT be a wash. Best I can get in my L with 3.55 gears in hwy/city driving is 14+. My '96 Cobra gets 19+city and 26mpg on the highway (3.73 gears).

I'm not arguing which one is better. I honestly believe that without a _proven_ Cobra model for the last 2 years, that the L is the best SVT offering out there. It only gets better in '01, so that's cool. However, if you're considering a '03 Cobra in just two years, then trading your car now makes little sense to me, unless you can afford to KEEP the '01 Lightning when you buy that Cobra.

------------------
Wes Tarbox
90 LX 5.0 (10.69 @ 134.7)--597rwhp/590rwtq
96 Cobra (12.34 @ 115.8)--392rwhp/433rwtq
99 Lightning (13.20 @ 103.8)--364rwhp/447rwtq
00 Expedition XLT 5.4
http://members.aol.com/Wa2fst/index.html

Quick Reply: Please help me make a decision on 01 Lightning